Alain Whyte posts image of early solo tour itineraries on FB

A few itineraries I found today. Oh those were the days.!!! Will help figure out where we were at times if I ever get the memory jogging. Didn’t know we were making history at the time. I was trying to be as good as The Smiths, realizing that we can only be as good as we can be. We gave it a good shot and I think with the Your Arsenal Tour we came very close as it was a real band!! All I will say is I’m looking forward to making my own future with my own songs and at last a real band behind me. It’s rough trade all over again. Planning to make history because who knows how long we will be around! I hope for as long as possible. I’m grateful to all the fans who support and have supported me as I’m nothing without you. I’m grateful that I can still do music. Seriously to all of you who support me including my new band mates, I love you and God bless you. Stay safe !
Just you wait until we can play I guarantee you will not be disappointed! I think you will all want to be at the convention gig on Sunday September 27th if all is well and good. ? x

full

FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
bet former bandmates have all got a treasure trove of stuff from the past.one day we might get a glimpse.

Interesting find. I still miss the old Lads lineup.

Has anyone asked Alain directly what his thoughts are on I Am Not A Dog On A Chain? Even though he is no longer in the fold, I'm sure Mr. Whyte has to be quite pleased with Morrissey's latest effort.

I bet Alain is the type of bloke you could say hello to, introduce yourself, and he'd buy you a pint. Top man.

Was it ever plainly disclosed why Alain left the live line-up and eventually stopped working with Morrissey altogether?

I have read Autobiography, but given the cryptic fashion in which it is written it is difficult to know what Morrissey was getting at when discussing Alain's departure. Who's decision was it? Did Morrissey fire him? Did Alain want out?

I always found it weird that Alain continued writing and recording with Morrissey on Ringleader even though he was no longer part of the live set up, and stranger still when he was writing for Years of Refusal but didn't record any of it.

The Moz-Boz-Alain-Gary line up was best. I liked Spencer but I never saw him as essential to the whole thing.

If you could take the pre-Jesse 2004 line up and have that as Morrissey's band today, with everything Morrissey has released up to date in their repertoire, that would be ideal.

Was it ever plainly disclosed why Alain left the live line-up and eventually stopped working with Morrissey altogether?

I have read Autobiography, but given the cryptic fashion in which it is written it is difficult to know what Morrissey was getting at when discussing Alain's departure. Who's decision was it? Did Morrissey fire him? Did Alain want out?

I always found it weird that Alain continued writing and recording with Morrissey on Ringleader even though he was no longer part of the live set up, and stranger still when he was writing for Years of Refusal but didn't record any of it.

The Moz-Boz-Alain-Gary line up was best. I liked Spencer but I never saw him as essential to the whole thing.

If you could take the pre-Jesse 2004 line up and have that as Morrissey's band today, with everything Morrissey has released up to date in their repertoire, that would be ideal.
I don't know the answer, but as someone who follows the band quite keenly, my theory is this:

Alain is genuinely ill in spring 2004, he is replaced by Lil Barrie and then Jesse. I won't speculate on illness or anything, none of my business. At a gig in the States in autumn/fall 2004, someone in the audience shouts "WHERE'S ALAIN?!" and Morrissey replies "Unrelated, but, 'The World is Full of Crashing Bores'...."

The band reassemble in Rome, and it seems easier to keep the new kid around than to boot him out. He contributes songs and Alain has no issue with this, as per an interview with him in, i believe, 2006 or 2008, it's on YouTube somewhere. It's time to tour, and you can't take two lead guitiarists, so Jesse gets the gig because he was the last live guitarist.

In 2008 they do the YOR sessions and, famously, Alain turns up to record some tunes only to be told by Boz in the parking lot outside the studio that he is not required. His songs are still used, however. My personal opinion at this point - this is an absolute dickmove. At least let the man record the songs he has written for Morrissey. Christ.

After 2009, Alain's songs are never used again.

The long and short of it is that Alain was replaced by Jesse in 2004 and it made sense to just keep him around. Moz hates confrontation. Why would he kick out an obedient, half decent lead guitarist?

There's no real answer as to why Alain is gone, and Morrissey's releases since 2009 are weaker because of it. Life goes on. Go and listen to the Setting Fires EP from 2011. No, the songs are not amazing, the lyrics and vocal melodies are not amazing. HOWEVER the songs themselves are great - Moz could have really used them, instead of writing trash like The Kids a Looker and what not.

Oh well.

I don't know the answer, but as someone who follows the band quite keenly, my theory is this:

Alain is genuinely ill in spring 2004, he is replaced by Lil Barrie and then Jesse. I won't speculate on illness or anything, none of my business. At a gig in the States in autumn/fall 2004, someone in the audience shouts "WHERE'S ALAIN?!" and Morrissey replies "Unrelated, but, 'The World is Full of Crashing Bores'...."

The band reassemble in Rome, and it seems easier to keep the new kid around than to boot him out. He contributes songs and Alain has no issue with this, as per an interview with him in, i believe, 2006 or 2008, it's on YouTube somewhere. It's time to tour, and you can't take two lead guitiarists, so Jesse gets the gig because he was the last live guitarist.

In 2008 they do the YOR sessions and, famously, Alain turns up to record some tunes only to be told by Boz in the parking lot outside the studio that he is not required. His songs are still used, however. My personal opinion at this point - this is an absolute dickmove. At least let the man record the songs he has written for Morrissey. Christ.

The long and short of it is that Alain was replaced by Jesse in 2004 and it made sense to just keep him around. Moz hates confrontation. Why would he kick out an obedient, half decent lead guitarist?

There's no real answer as to why Alain is gone, and Morrissey's releases since 2009 are weaker because of it. Life goes on. Go and listen to the Setting Fires EP from 2011. No, the songs are not amazing, the lyrics and vocal melodies are not amazing. HOWEVER the songs themselves are great - Moz could have really used them, instead of writing trash like The Kids a Looker and what not.

Oh well.

Pretty much nailed it for me.

We all have our flaws and things we aren't proud of - and I love Morrissey and have always defended him against the "Moz is racist" trolls - but he does have a track record of chickening out of confrontation. It's not an admirable trait.

He likes being the boss, but doesn't like doing the dirty work that is sometimes required of a boss.

If Alain's departure in 2004 was only meant to be temporary, then that should have been ascertained between him and Morrissey. When Jesse comes in, again, this needs to be communicated to him. You are a temporary replacement for Alain.

Accepting Alain's songs for Refusal but denying him the right to record them was awful. But ultimately it is Morrissey who has suffered from Alain's departure because none of the material he has released since then is as good. The trio of albums he released in the 2000s are head and shoulders better than those from "World Peace..." to date.

People hanker after a reunion with Marr but for me a reunion with Whyte is just as attractive. He is the most important person Morrissey has collaborated with in his solo career, or perhaps jointly with Stephen Street.

to be 100% clear, Alain was on Ringleader, and played on the album as well as writing for it, but on YOR his songs were used but he was not allowed to play.

Oh well.
Don't forget that during Alain's last performance with the band (June 5, 2004 in Dublin), he was apparently seen crying at times throughout the night.

i do recall reading about that, but i dont know first hand so i dont want to comment.

During an interview posted a few months ago, Alain was asked about his most recent contact with Morrissey. I believe it was right before Alain was spotted at Boz mother's funeral.

Alain: "I speak quite often with Spencer and Gary on the phone. We catch up with Boz a little bit as well."
Julie: "Have you heard from Morrissey recently?"
Alain: "I received really nice e-mails around four or five months ago. I told him I just released The Experiment EP and did a video. Moz wrote back, "Can I see the video?" I sent him a link to the video and he replied, "Wow. You must be proud. Your voice sounds really good. You still look the same."

During an interview posted a few months ago, Alain was asked about his most recent contact with Morrissey. I believe it was right before Alain was spotted at Boz mother's funeral.

Alain: "I speak quite often with Spencer and Gary on the phone. We catch up with Boz a little bit as well."
Julie: "Have you heard from Morrissey recently?"
Alain: "I received really nice e-mails around four or five months ago. I told him I just released The Experiment EP and did a video. Moz wrote back, "Can I see the video?" I sent him a link to the video and he replied, "Wow. You must be proud. Your voice sounds really good. You still look the same."
Wow I never heard this. Sounds like a pretty good exchange after all this time has passed over troubled waters. Even asking to see the video is amazing for someone as aloof as Morrissey. I didn't expect that at all.

I think we've all heard of that dreadful carpark incident. If anyone wants to meet up with you in a carpark stay at home. They're terrible places and should be avoided at all costs. One should only park cars there and nothing else. It's just a big fat metaphor for us humans as temporary place holders.

We don't have Alain's strings and vocals to look forward to anymore but we do have seven albums of he and Morrissey making beautiful music together for roughly eighteen years. That's not a bad stretch for anyone working with someone as, ahem, um difficult as Morrissey.

I reckon Valley Boy Al White looking over the San Fernando Valley. Reckon you can see the house that the California Son was really born in. I reckon the California Son and the Pasadena Son only live 30 minutes from each other with no LA traffic c*** tit twat 10 points to Gryfindor carpark tossey chipper curry
inn n n nnn n nnn nn nnnn nnn nn n it.

pasadena son.jpg

Last edited:
Wow I never heard this. Sounds like a pretty good exchange after all this time has passed over troubled waters. Even asking to see the video is amazing for someone as aloof as Morrissey. I didn't expect that at all.
The whole thing:

Worth a listen.
Regards,
FWD.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:sleeping::sleeping:

will the 'new tour band' :rofl:
("tour" :rolleyes:)include that miserable twat DH Andy who he has been paling around with in cheap beer joints in LA?:unsure:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom