Alain Whyte: You Are The Quarry listening party via Twitter - 8pm UK time (May 24, 2020)

It's funny that he said they always played Crashing Bores too slowly. When they first played it, it was faster than it ended up being on the record. I remember not liking the Quarry version for that reason.
I always loved the faster version of this song as well and remember being immensely disappointed with the finished result.

Good stuff again from Alain. Certainly leaving the door open to work with Moz again.

Did Alain skip doing on of these for Vauxhall, or did I just miss it?

Good stuff again from Alain. Certainly leaving the door open to work with Moz again.

Did Alain skip doing on of these for Vauxhall, or did I just miss it?

He hasn't done Vauxhall and I yet, maybe saving up the best for last?
There are still numerous B-sides he could say something about.
Or more interestingly, how is it decided whether a song will be included on the album or used as a B- side because it seems so random to me.

Or more interestingly, how is it decided whether a song will be included on the album or used as a B- side because it seems so random to me.

Vauxhall was already done. MozArmy is doing them chronologically. Only chance Al would do that record is if the opportunity presented itself via another account. Tim Burgess is setting up some incredible stuff, too. It’s pretty well booked, I think. So, I wouldn't count on it no matter how amazing it would be. Who knows, though?

Mike Farrell is on tap for Ringleader next week, if I’m not mistaken. He’s a great guy and it should be cool.

America Is Not The World - I can't believe to this day that this song made it onto the album. It's a B - side at best. Music is nice but the lyrics sound like they written by a teenage girl who thinks she can write, um poetry. What a bizarre choice of a song to launch into an album after a seven year hiatus. The first song should've been Irish Blood, English Heart.

I Like You - Should have been a single. I LIKE this song.

You Know I couldn't Last - This song is f***ing fantastic!

There are so many strong B sides from this album. Teenage Dad On His Estate, Friday Mourning, The Public Image, Mexico, My Life Is A Succession Of People Saying Goodbye, It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small. All easily are album contenders.

I like (don't love) the album but I get more satisfaction from the second disc from the deluxe edition.

I swear Alain should get cocky and send Morrissey some gems he's been working on just like he did those many years ago back in '91 and roll the dice. What has he got to lose?

Vauxhall was already done. MozArmy is doing them chronologically. Only chance Al would do that record is if the opportunity presented itself via another account. Tim Burgess is setting up some incredible stuff, too. It’s pretty well booked, I think. So, I wouldn't count on it no matter how amazing it would be. Who knows, though?

Mike Farrell is on tap for Ringleader next week, if I’m not mistaken. He’s a great guy and it should be cool.
Oh, I thought it was just something Alain was doing. I only see them when posted here, since I don’t do Zuckerbook or Twatter, or wherever they originate. ?

Many thanks FWD for making this available to the non-Twitters.

For those of us only really interested Morrissey's music - rather than a weird and troubling obsession with his personality - this is one of the most engaging and interesting threads ever put up on Solo. Cheers!

that would be interesting. I would maybe like a swords run through as I just love the comp and that would be interesting to hear about. Why some end up on comps and some in albums

These are fantastic insights, so big thanks to AW, & of course FWD.
Oh, & thanks also to all the well-wishers, much appreciated.
However, it's not my birthday any more, there's no reason to be kind to me. ;)

These are a good read.

I have to agree with him about Bores. It's really done nothing for me, even the 02 live version. Having said that, How Could Anyone... is a simialr slugfest

For all of the publicity and positive press around 2004, Quarry is a really mediocre release. He's better it since, more than twice...

I swear Alain should get cocky and send Morrissey some gems he's been working on just like he did those many years ago back in '91 and roll the dice. What has he got to lose?

My guess is that YOR was a painful experience for Alain. While no longer being part of the touring band, he had still given Morrissey tunes to work with assuming that he still would be part of the recording process. And we all know how that one worked out. So why share your creative input with someone who won't invite you to the recording sessions with the other musicians who will probably add ideas of their own to make it even better?

If Alain were treated in the same way like, say, Roger Manning, perhaps he'd still work with Morrissey.
To me, it also seems that Morrissey is biased towards using compositions from current band members, for better or worse.

My guess is that YOR was a painful experience for Alain. While no longer being part of the touring band, he had still given Morrissey tunes to work with assuming that he still would be part of the recording process. And we all know how that one worked out. So why share your creative input with someone who won't invite you to the recording sessions with the other musicians who will probably add ideas of their own to make it even better?

If Alain were treated in the same way like, say, Roger Manning, perhaps he'd still work with Morrissey.
To me, it also seems that Morrissey is biased towards using compositions from current band members, for better or worse.
Of course that's all valid but time passes and it heals grudges. We now know Morrissey and Alain are on good terms lately so you never know. Alain has nothing to prove but all of this recent listening party stuff and safe sessions reeks, fondly I might add of a man with something left to give to an old mate. There's my wishful thinking for the day.

Of course that's all valid but time passes and it heals grudges. We now know Morrissey and Alain are on good terms lately so you never know. Alain has nothing to prove but all of this recent listening party stuff and safe sessions reeks, fondly I might add of a man with something left to give to an old mate. There's my wishful thinking for the day.
How do we know that they are on good terms? (Please don't read that as me challenging you... just curious how we know :) )

How do we know that they are on good terms? (Please don't read that as me challenging you... just curious how we know :) )
Because Alain said so, so one assumes, being that Alain seems like a fairly straightforward uncomplicated soul, that they are.

The upcoming Ringleader listening party should be very intriguing. Can't wait to read Alain's insight into working with Tony Visconti and his working relationship with Jesse Tobias for that album.

The upcoming Ringleader listening party should be very intriguing. Can't wait to read Alain's insight into working with Tony Visconti and his working relationship with Jesse Tobias for that album.

Perhaps Alain will address that in another time and place, but Ringleader is going to be covered by the more than capable and all-around good guy, Mikey Farrell

In a recent interview in March of this year Alain mentioned he had been in contact with Morrissey telling him of his new solo material and Morrissey asked Alain if he could send him the video to watch. Morrissey replied very complimentary of Alain's voice in the clip. It might've been a Julie Hamill interview. I can't be sure but I did hear it a few weeks ago.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom