Alain Whyte YT: "The Edges Are No Longer Parallel" live (April 8, 2020)

20200408_143039.jpg

He performed this with Red Lightning in 2008 - here.
Regards,
FWD.

Grateful for this...it's one of my favourite songs.
The singing (I assume by AW), however, is dire...he should have emailed Moz and asked him to guest sing on this...after all, he's not busy right now.

The 2008 one is only very slightly better...give Moz a call Alain, please FFS.

Used to absolutely adore this song when my love for Moz became an obsession. It's such a great piece of music and I love the lyrics.

Saying that, there's a boot I used to have from the 1999 tour where Moz changed the lyrics to "my only is mistake is I'm English". I know he is being playful but it always made me cringe.

"my only is mistake is I'm English"....good old Moz, I love the way he just playfully drops these lyric changes in now and again....but then again, he does own these songs so has some degree of 'licence' to do as he wishes.

Used to absolutely adore this song when my love for Moz became an obsession. It's such a great piece of music and I love the lyrics.

Saying that, there's a boot I used to have from the 1999 tour where Moz changed the lyrics to "my only is mistake is I'm English". I know he is being playful but it always made me cringe.
A few variations as per PJLM:
"But more interestingly he changed "my only mistake is I'm hoping" to "my only mistake is I've never been hopefull", "my one mistake is I'm realist", "my one mistake is I'm intelligent", "my only mistake is that I keep hoping for nothing" or "...for something" or "my only mistake is I'm English"."

I believe the gig in question was Arlington Theatre, Santa Barbara, CA. October 6, 1999.
Regards,
FWD.

Ouch! Cracking piece of music, and well done AW for composing, but that was not beautifully sung! Alain's done some really nice versions of Morrissey songs recently. I think generally the softer songs suit his voice best. Also, he's got the words a bit wrong here. Should be "when you feel down then you're bound to stay down". Hope he comes to the UK and plays some dates at some point.

Arguably, Alain Whyte stuff should go in the main 'general' section more so than Johnny Marr, as Alain has actually written songs for solo Morrissey, no?

Great version of great song. From the good old times when b-sides were better than last 15 years a-sides. Alain departure was the end of moz, not 1 good album after that, from the current line up no one can write songs.

Great version of great song. From the good old times when b-sides were better than last 15 years a-sides. Alain departure was the end of moz, not 1 good album after that, from the current line up no one can write songs.
Ridiculous statement alert!!!

He probably needs his own news thread, but here's a podcast featuring Alain as described in this post:

Regards,
FWD.

Grateful for this...it's one of my favourite songs.
The singing (I assume by AW), however, is dire...he should have emailed Moz and asked him to guest sing on this...after all, he's not busy right now.
I believe that already happened in '97 :)

Then what're you doing here ten years later?

Whyte wrote the best stuff for Morrissey
Indeed is true...
He wrote the most stuff, certainly, but average song quality was way down on other composers.
He and Marr both wrote close to 70 songs each.
Of Marr's 70 songs, 50 were amazing, 15 were good to great, 5 were a bit rubbish.
Of Whyte's 70 songs, 10 were amazing, 30 were good to great, 30 were a bit rubbish.

He wrote the most stuff, certainly, but average song quality was way down on other composers.
He and Marr both wrote close to 70 songs each.
Of Marr's 70 songs, 50 were amazing, 15 were good to great, 5 were a bit rubbish.
Of Whyte's 70 songs, 10 were amazing, 30 were good to great, 30 were a bit rubbish.

And that's being very kind to AW.

Glad Alain is doing well. Hey, Morrissey's live singing of this in 99 is pretty shambolic too!
Why hasn't this beauty ever been resurrected live since?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom