Alain Whyte's signed Gretch guitar used on Morrissey songs on eBay

Nice collection of Gold Records on the wall there too! Glad Alain is still obviously proud about his achievements, and hasn't binned them.

There were several gigs where Alain was 'jokingly' not allowed to speak.
Whilst at both RAH gigs, I seem to recall there being a tiny bit of tension between Moz and him and 'banter' about not talking.
Seemed to escalate from there maybe?
Wasn't he explained away as mysteriously ill too?
Regards,
FWD

The tension was also captured on who put the M dvd when Steven does the silly born and braised intro, Alain steps up to the mike to simply explain he was born in Camden.
Alain is a good man with dignity, pride and self respect. He can never be described or compared as a lawnmower part or a Martin puppet with one line " yes boss ".
Oh Alain ! Don't go anywhere near the Lawnmowers and Silly Steven they are a bunch of toxic selfish desperadoes just listen to that last smelly turd WPINOYB absolutely awful, I'm sure Alain won't have done it that way.
Good luck with the guitar and keep in touch pal.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I really miss Alain and his contributions to the world of Morrissey. A talented guy and seemingly a lovely gent.

I hope he is happy.

There were several gigs where Alain was 'jokingly' not allowed to speak.
Whilst at both RAH gigs, I seem to recall there being a tiny bit of tension between Moz and him and 'banter' about not talking.
Seemed to escalate from there maybe?
Wasn't he explained away as mysteriously ill too?
Regards,
FWD

Yes, you are right. At the Festival Hall in London in 2004, he did mention that Alain was ill and they quickly put in a session guitarist, I think called Barry to replace him, he worked in a music shop in Soho if my memory serves me well. Its always intrigued me as to what happened and how could Morrissey allow such an influential member of the band and a great song writer to depart. The albums with Alain in are the best IMO.

He's probably the most interesting musical figure of the last 30 years. Don't worry about him selling this guitar. The guy could write hit songs on a f***ing toy ukulele.
I

f*** me, the world's of Morrissey fans are tiny

Yes, you are right. At the Festival Hall in London in 2004, he did mention that Alain was ill and they quickly put in a session guitarist, I think called Barry to replace him, he worked in a music shop in Soho if my memory serves me well. Its always intrigued me as to what happened and how could Morrissey allow such an influential member of the band and a great song writer to depart. The albums with Alain in are the best IMO.

Yes, Barrie Cadogan aka Little Barrie. Now touring guitarist of Primal Scream and frontman for Little Barrie. Doing quite well for himself and making great music.

Yes, Barrie Cadogan aka Little Barrie. Now touring guitarist of Primal Scream and frontman for Little Barrie. Doing quite well for himself and making great music.

I'm way out of touch with music now. Thanks for the heads up. You clearly know your stuff.

The tension was also captured on who put the M dvd when Steven does the silly born and braised intro, Alain steps up to the mike to simply explain he was born in Camden.

It couldn't have been that bad since Alain returned for Ringleader, and was hoping to play on Refusal as well until circumstances changed in the parking lot..

Regarding this being sad . . . the true sad thing is that his other listings include only a Frozen and Inside Out dvd.

When Boz had his own website, he posted on it that at the Dublin gig "Alan's illness became very apparent"

Regarding this being sad . . . the true sad thing is that his other listings include only a Frozen and Inside Out dvd.

It doesn't include a Frozen listing anymore. I bought the damn thing!

he is skint. otherwise why would he be selling the piece? he doesn't have the polecats to fall back on or a day job.
peeps that are doing good and sell stuff donate the proceeds to charity. that you dont is a sign you are broke.

When Boz had his own website, he posted on it that at the Dublin gig "Alan's illness became very apparent"

There was another post circa early September that year that said something to the effect that Alain was "well and ready to play," which read at the time like he was going to join the North/South American leg of the YATQ tour. The entry was later removed from the site before Boz stopped writing updates.

RE: The "born and braised" moment on Who Put The M...you can hear Boz blurt out "NO, YOU'RE NOT!" when Alain says he's from Camden Town. It sounds less than playful, but it's really hard to say without seeing his face. Spencer and Jonny Bridgwood - as well as Chris Dickie, the engineer on Vauxhall and I - were quoted as saying there was competitive tension between Alain and Boz in Mozipedia. I do think this had some effect on Alain's place in the band after his live departure.

Last edited:
he is skint. otherwise why would he be selling the piece? he doesn't have the polecats to fall back on or a day job.
peeps that are doing good and sell stuff donate the proceeds to charity. that you dont is a sign you are broke.

Skint? - not so sure about that. You do realise he has done and continues to do other stuff. He will be getting cash from lots of songwriting royalties over the years - here are some of the songs he wrote/collaborated on and there are some pretty big sellers in this list. He has also written a number of songs for TV shows.

He had a total of 81 known songwriting credits with Morrissey.

Other artists
Kid Cudi – "Up Up & Away"
Blake Lewis – "I Left My Baby for You"
Kid Sister – "Daydreaming"
Rihanna – "Photographs"
Kelis – "Song for the Baby"
Cheryl Cole – "Raindrops"
The Black Eyed Peas – "Play It Loud"
Chris Brown – "All About You"
Nick 13 – "Gambler's Life"
Madonna – "Love Spent"
Chris Brown – "Don't Wake Me Up", "Remember My Name"
Joshua Radin – "Lost at Home", "She's So Right"
The Noisettes – "Winner"
V V Brown – "10 Ft. Tall"
will.i.am – "Gettin' Dumb"
Benny Benassi – "Dance the Pain Away"
Reece Mastin - "I Don't Love You Anymore"

Gossip Girl – "City Nights", "Martini Lounge", "NYC Streets", "Robot Talk", "At The Club", "Let You Down", "Manhattan", "Steady", "Changing Tides", "Park Avenue", "In The End"
Chuck – "Jingle Bell Rock (arrangement)", "Joy to the World (arrangement)", "We Wish You A Merry Christmas (arrangement)"
Without A Trace – "Feeling Fine"

Last edited:
There was another post circa early September that year that said something to the effect that Alain was "well and ready to play," which read at the time like he was going to join the North/South American leg of the YATQ tour. The entry was later removed from the site before Boz stopped writing updates.

RE: The "born and braised" moment on Who Put The M...you can hear Boz blurt out "NO, YOU'RE NOT!" when Alain says he's from Camden Town. It sounds less than playful, but it's really hard to say without seeing his face. Spencer and Jonny Bridgwood - as well as Chris Dickie, the engineer on Vauxhall and I - were quoted as saying there was competitive tension between Alain and Boz in Mozipedia. I do think this had some effect on Alain's place in the band after his live departure.

Boz was probably tired of living in the shadow of a better guitarist/composer in the form of Alain. Boz has written some great tunes for Moz but he ain't no Alain.

Skint? - not so sure about that. You do realise he has done and continues to do other stuff. He will be getting cash from lots of songwriting royalties over the years - here are some of the songs he wrote/collaborated on and there are some pretty big sellers in this list. He has also written a number of songs for TV shows.

He had a total of 81 known songwriting credits with Morrissey.

Other artists
Kid Cudi – "Up Up & Away"
Blake Lewis – "I Left My Baby for You"
Kid Sister – "Daydreaming"
Rihanna – "Photographs"
Kelis – "Song for the Baby"
Cheryl Cole – "Raindrops"
The Black Eyed Peas – "Play It Loud"
Chris Brown – "All About You"
Nick 13 – "Gambler's Life"
Madonna – "Love Spent"
Chris Brown – "Don't Wake Me Up", "Remember My Name"
Joshua Radin – "Lost at Home", "She's So Right"
The Noisettes – "Winner"
V V Brown – "10 Ft. Tall"
will.i.am – "Gettin' Dumb"
Benny Benassi – "Dance the Pain Away"
Reece Mastin - "I Don't Love You Anymore"

Gossip Girl – "City Nights", "Martini Lounge", "NYC Streets", "Robot Talk", "At The Club", "Let You Down", "Manhattan", "Steady", "Changing Tides", "Park Avenue", "In The End"
Chuck – "Jingle Bell Rock (arrangement)", "Joy to the World (arrangement)", "We Wish You A Merry Christmas (arrangement)"
Without A Trace – "Feeling Fine"

Nice one Surface.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

It was the competition between Boz and him which Alain got fed of, yes there was cancelled gig in the US
becuase he had backproblems

Think the turning point was when Morrissey signed with Sanctuary...not long after Boz also signed with
Sanctuary
Think Morrissey put his future on Boz as he produced bands, and as Alain made songs for others, more expierance though Alain didn't smoke and was vegan too,but the main reason there was tension between Boz and Alain, and
Alain stepped back after the Dublin Castle gig...,ill? B*llocks...

and indeed the Mozipedia mentioned is too as written above...well if Jesse might be ill, there 1 Lad who certainly
can fly in and go on stage, but I doubt Alain would do it..

It was the competition between Boz and him which Alain got fed of, yes there was cancelled gig in the US
becuase he had backproblems

Think the turning point was when Morrissey signed with Sanctuary...not long after Boz also signed with
Sanctuary
Think Morrissey put his future on Boz as he produced bands, and as Alain made songs for others, more expierance though Alain didn't smoke and was vegan too,but the main reason there was tension between Boz and Alain, and
Alain stepped back after the Dublin Castle gig...,ill? B*llocks...

and indeed the Mozipedia mentioned is too as written above...well if Jesse might be ill, there 1 Lad who certainly
can fly in and go on stage, but I doubt Alain would do it..

Along with most other posts on this thread, this is utter crap.

Alain was indeed ill anyone who saw the Dublin Castle gig could see he was coming apart at the seams.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom