Amusing Morrissey faux pas

Last night i ended up at a random house party and over a game of pool the conversation turned to music. I always suffer a moments hesitation before announcing that i love The Smiths and Morrissey, as you never know what the reaction is going to be (anything from serious fandom, through mild indifference to vehement hatred). However, i was pleasantly surprised when all three guys said that they thought Moz was great. However, i then nearly dropped through the floor laughing when one of them said:

"i really respect him you know, i mean, for a deaf guy to go on and have such an amazing career is just brilliant".

Has anyone else encountered misconceptions like this about Mozzer? And do you bother to correct people? I was so pleased to hear them say they liked him (these guys were well into their dance music btw) that I didn't waste my breath in telling them the truth.

"i really respect him you know, i mean, for a deaf guy to go on and have such an amazing career is just brilliant".
That is not so difficult! Bethoven had a good career too!:cool:

They thought he was deaf?!!???!

I guess because of the hearing aid he used to wear... I wouldn't see another explanation for such statement.

Ohhhhh right yeah. I suppose he sounds a bit deaf when he does all that yodelling and stuff. Still, though!!

I have never encountered that. It's amazing that they like him....and hilarious that they think he's deaf. Moz has sure done well for "being deaf".....hahahahaaaa *rolling on the floor with laughter* :D
What would make them think that?? The ideas above me I'm guessing? And the yodelling and stuff, that's what makes it MOZ and unique. NOT DEAF! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have never encountered that. It's amazing that they like him....and hilarious that they think he's deaf. Moz has sure done well for "being deaf".....hahahahaaaa *rolling on the floor with laughter* :D
What would make them think that?? The ideas above me I'm guessing? And the yodelling and stuff, that's what makes it MOZ and unique. NOT DEAF! :rolleyes:

Wot? You think I spend my days tramping the train stations of the UK, spreading the good news that Morrissey is deaf?

Or wondering why he didn't perform with the folk band of the same name...

yeah me too, or the always popular 'Oh yeah Morrissey what a great Band' :rolleyes:

lolzzz did anyone see the footage after v festival this year> they interviewed a load of people like jade goody and the sugababes about how great he was. so funny. they clearly had no idea who he was.

lolzzz did anyone see the footage after v festival this year> they interviewed a load of people like jade goody and the sugababes about how great he was. so funny. they clearly had no idea who he was.

yep but atleast Jade Goody didnt pretend, one of the Sugababes was goin on bout what a good band they were.. until another chimed in with the 'isnt he a solo performer' :o :D

well he did have that hit 'yep i am deaf'.

maybe 'deaf' means 'gay' now? american slang is so great.

I was at a party once (and it was seriously winding down) and the conversation, likewise, turned to music. My friends knew that I liked Morrissey, and continue to mock me for it, but when they brought it up, a girl who was there and who I'd never met before said "Morrissey! That's the religious guy!?". I promptly went about disparaging the claim, but she maintained that he is deeply religious and that this is the source of his music. I was so confused. I went away thinking 'wtf! how can she think this'?

I figure now that her first subjection to Morrissey must have been 'I Have Forgiven Jesus', and she probably saw the video that went along with that song or saw footage of him at the time when he wore a mock-priest outfit for live sets. But still, you can imagine the confusion.

OK, back in 1991 i had travelled up from Cork (on the south coast of Ireland) to Dublin to queue for tickets for the National Stadium gig. This was a big big big deal. No ticketmaster pre-sales back then. We literally queued-up outside HMV on Grafton Street weeks before the gig to get tickets*. But... the Taxi driver who drove us into Grafton Street at about 4am asked us about the gig. "Oh, Jim Morrison," he said, "I remember him alright, didn't know he was still gigging."

Morrissey Faux Pas!

* Actually I remember the queuing for the tickets as being the most brilliant experience ever - nearly better then attending the actual National Stadium gig. People were so nice. A lot of people had travelled from all over Ireland and the UK to get tickets. Nobody had a CREDIT CARD back then. We had a brilliant night singing songs etc. Great memories.

yep but atleast Jade Goody didnt pretend, one of the Sugababes was goin on bout what a good band they were.. until another chimed in with the 'isnt he a solo performer' :o :D

if you look on youtube, theres an interview withthem and i think dave berry or someone at v, he asks which bands they want to see and they're discussing someone boring like razorlight and then he's like what about morrissey and theres a really funny awkward silence and one of them is like "err i don't know much" it made me laugh

It´s a few years ago, but I had a chat with a former colleague who asked me "how do you spend your time off-work?".
I said something like "don´t do very much but enjoy Morrissey".
She replied "oh yeah, I´m going to buy one of her books, from what I´ve heard I think she is a talented writer".
Dear God...

I once went out with this guy who I'd fancied for ages, all going well,begin to discuss music. I tell him I love Morrissey. He says "Oh, I loved The Smiths, I'm not keen on his solo stuff. I thought I Am The Quarry was a great album though" I am tempted to correct him, I resist. The coversation continues. He goes on about how great I Am The Quarry is for five minutes....

Back
Top Bottom