An American in Georgia(the country)

so, before the election, you saw
SAM_3553.jpg

these posters for the government's party, but then after they lost
SAM_3554.jpg

this is the party of how do I put it?
well basically they are a bunch of "Pro-Russia" right wing nuts who hate Saakashvili and anything he likes, ie, the USA :eek:
they are led by this
1002-georgia-elections-Bidzina-Ivanishvili_full_380.jpg

horrible little man, he is a billionaire, which impresses simple minded Georgians, never mind the fact that he made most of his money off of their misery and those of other former Soviet countries after the fall of Communism
or that his funding came from gangsters
in short, his running the country will likely destroy it
it will take a while, but by the next elections, his thugs will keep him in power by force
Georgia took a major step backward with these election results :straightface:
and all because Saakashvili had the temerity to stand up to the Russians when they invaded two of Georgia's provinces :rolleyes:
sure, they lost, how could they not?
but had he not opposed them, they would have just kept coming til the whole god forsaken country was in their grip again :cool:
and now with this election, it sort of is :o

Last edited:
so, before the election, you saw
SAM_3553.jpg

these posters for the government's party, but then after they lost
SAM_3554.jpg

this is the party of how do I put it?
well basically they are a bunch of "Pro-Russia" right wing nuts who hate Saakashvili and anything he likes, ie, the USA :eek:
they are led by this
1002-georgia-elections-Bidzina-Ivanishvili_full_380.jpg

horrible little man, he is a billionaire, which impresses simple minded Georgians, never mind the fact that he made most of his money off of their misery and those of other former Soviet countries after the fall of Communism
or that his funding came from gangsters
in short, his running the country will likely destroy it
it will take a while, but by the next elections, his thugs will keep him in power by force
Georgia took a major step backward with these election results :straightface:
and all because Saakashvili had the temerity to stand up to the Russians when they invaded two of Georgia's provinces :rolleyes:
sure, they lost, how could they not?
but had he not opposed them, they would have just kept coming til the whole god forsaken country was in their grip again :cool:
and now with this election, it sort of is :o

Good to see the series continuing , Rob. Bad luck about the unwholesome conditions of your new posting ...

will be moving again in the next week :( this time to my own apartment :eek:
will post pics of the old place I live at since September, then my new little place, when I can :o

will be moving again in the next week :( this time to my own apartment :eek:
will post pics of the old place I live at since September, then my new little place, when I can :o

Your own apartment ! Go crazy ! I'll almost miss the run-ins with grizzled , surly, co-habitants ...:)

OK, here is where I have been staying since getting back here almost 2 months ago:
SAM_3575.jpg

I have the whole 2nd floor to myself
SAM_3577.jpg

far more space than I had in "V-town"
SAM_3578.jpg

some of my stuff is actually hanging up like its supposed to be, while
SAM_3581.jpg

a lot just lies on the big bed I don't use, instead I sleep
SAM_3576.jpg

in here, but I spend much of my free time sitting in
SAM_3583.jpg

this chair, doing stuff at
SAM_3590.jpg

this table, lastly, here is the horrible
SAM_3591.jpg

view from out my door, while I do love having more space than before, the village I am is right by the "Manganse?" plant
and the pollution somedays is terrible

Last edited:
SAM_3591.jpg

view from out my door, while I do love having more space than before, the village I am is right by the "Manganse?" plant
and the pollution somedays is terrible[/QUOTE]

Manganese ?

my god this place is dead :eek:
SAM_3591.jpg

and the pollution somedays is terrible

Manganese ?[/QUOTE]
thank you for your response, and here from wiki:
The Zestafoni ferro-alloy plant processes raw manganese ore shipped by rail down the Kvirila valley from Chiatura, supplying 6% of world demand.
-so yeah, I am happy to be away from it
anyways, some pics of my own little place I moved into on Halloween:
SAM_3607.jpg

as you walk in
SAM_3609.jpg

I have moved my bed as far from the window as possible, in anticapation of the coming cold
SAM_3610.jpg

where I eat and read on the computer
SAM_3612.jpg

the unused TV and some of my stuff
SAM_3611.jpg

more shit spread out where the bed was, I must still go through my stuff obviously
SAM_3608.jpg

the partially furnished kitchen, no fridge, but thats OK, I just by stuff fresh at the market or have stuff that does not need it

I was going to show the horror of the "turkish toilet" I had to use at the other place for the last month(seems the regular one broke)
but I have decided against it :o
still, if you knew how bad it was, then you would appreciate why I am so happy to have
SAM_3615.jpg

this one :), no where to shower though, but I have found a couple of people to let me use theirs once or twice a week :thumb:
and a Georgian is going to do my laundry for 5 lari a week
last, are the touches which make it "my place"
SAM_3614.jpg

this poster on the wall &
SAM_3617.jpg

my Dad's Dodger cap hanging in front of a window :D

I was going to show the horror of the "turkish toilet" I had to use at the other place for the last month(seems the regular one broke)
but I have decided against it :o
still, if you knew how bad it was, then you would appreciate why I am so happy to have

ahahaha...i think i know what your talking about!! -Hole in the ground ?
..We had to use 1 of those when I went to Serbia [similar to georgia in some ways]...It aint fun for a femme; especially if it's in the dark, metres away from the house, and almost always had to go at some ungodly hour...not to mention the creepy crawlies + superstitious talk from the old grannies!! I was so paranoidly scared! Ugh, just talking about it brings back bad memories! Luckily my Grandmother later had a 'normal' toliet and bathroom built for us. :)

And Robby; I don't usually comment on solo, but I do read and enjoy your posts, esp this 1 [brings back bittersweet memories of Serbia...] and the foodie thread. Please keep posting! :)

Take Care
M

In the Unused TV... picture , next to the wall , that's not a back-in-the-day shot of " Soldiering Robby" , is it ?

It's a simple kind of life. But that seems to be OK. It doesn't take much does it? :)
yep, it really doesn't, honestly, I like it in many ways, I go to bed at night quite content now, I deal with Georgians on my own terms and have my little place to retreat to when their pushy, loud and not surprisingly chauvinistic*(among the males) behavior gets to me

ahahaha...i think i know what your talking about!! -Hole in the ground ?
..We had to use 1 of those when I went to Serbia [similar to georgia in some ways]...It aint fun for a femme; especially if it's in the dark, metres away from the house, and almost always had to go at some ungodly hour...not to mention the creepy crawlies + superstitious talk from the old grannies!! I was so paranoidly scared! Ugh, just talking about it brings back bad memories! Luckily my Grandmother later had a 'normal' toliet and bathroom built for us. :)

And Robby; I don't usually comment on solo, but I do read and enjoy your posts, esp this 1 [brings back bittersweet memories of Serbia...] and the foodie thread. Please keep posting! :)

Take Care
M
sure thing M and you are so right about the hole in the ground, with crickets all around it, the one I had to use was real far away, down stairs, through a big gate and late at night, if I just had to pee, I found myself using a bottle I would just go dump in the morning, then make sure to throw away. I realize not everyone has the luxury to do that
In the Unused TV... picture , next to the wall , that's not a back-in-the-day shot of " Soldiering Robby" , is it ?
indeed it is, on Thursday I gave a little talk in school about being in the army, then answered questions, the point was to see if the older kids could understand any of what I said and properly ask questions, some did quite well actually, I brought the photo as "a prop". In general I find props help a lot when teaching people English...

*=OK, in Georgian, the terms for "he" "she" and "it" sound very alike to me, the plurals of these too. And it took me til September to figure out that when Georgian women are not around, many of the men refer to women as "its" . This caused no end of confusion for the longest time because I would hear them talking about what I thought was "livestock" but I would catch some of the words I know and they did not sound like things that livestock do. To be honest, I try to spend as little time around Georgian men as possible.

Last edited:
why is my thread dying?(maybe its not me for once but the site in general :o) but have they seen those smoke stacks on the other page! :eek:
whatever, moving on, someone is reading this :rolleyes:
so yeah, the big one, my 40th :o is coming, people are coming to me, from all over TLG:
SAM_3542.jpg

James & Darrel
SAM_3545.jpg

William, all representing the "USA"
and others were gonna come

Last edited:
Too lazy to actually look through the whole thread. But 3 thoughts only crossed my mind when I had a quick look:

1. OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!! The Lenin thing (or Stalin? No Lenin, rigth? Whatever! The first pic in the thread!), I need one of those for our living room.

2. The pics of the bathroom - No thanks, I'd rather wet myself.

3. OMFG! An American who actually know that there is a place outside of the US called Georgia!?!?! That if anything is enough to make me believe in God.

Too lazy to actually look through the whole thread. But 3 thoughts only crossed my mind when I had a quick look:

1. OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!! The Lenin thing (or Stalin? No Lenin, rigth? Whatever! The first pic in the thread!), I need one of those for our living room.

2. The pics of the bathroom - No thanks, I'd rather wet myself.

3. OMFG! An American who actually know that there is a place outside of the US called Georgia!?!?! That if anything is enough to make me believe in God.
was not trying to make anyone believe in God, but OK :D
anyways, I have not been well, my ulcer has been back with a vengeance :squiffy:
coughing up blood and everything :(
so no party, might have one person will see
the others I will see in Batumi the 1st weekend in December ("the boys")
or else in the capitol, right before I leave...

The poster on your wall of Mickey Mouse is titled "Mickey to Tiki" and is by the famous New Zealand artist Dick Frizzell. I am deeply impressed that you have this on your wall in Georgia.

I'm kinda loving the "Hope it was happy." bedspread.

The poster on your wall of Mickey Mouse is titled "Mickey to Tiki" and is by the famous New Zealand artist Dick Frizzell. I am deeply impressed that you have this on your wall in Georgia.

I saw a bunch of his work when I was down in NZ, for my next birthday, my uncle got me one of the ones I liked a lot, its signed and everything :)
I hang it up wherever I go, it makes that place "home" somehow
now for some of my students artwork, following
SAM_3660.jpg

these directions, sorry, forgot to rotate, time is lari($) though on this computer(internet cafe)
Some students(all girls) made
SAM_3661.jpg

SAM_3664.jpg

these, I think I like
SAM_3659.jpg

this one best, now for a pic of some toxic air:
SAM_3652.jpg

I use to live downwind of this, happy to now be a number of klicks from it
lastly
SAM_3663.jpg

birds fly into our classes all the time, most like this one, I wonder what kind it is :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom