An REM thread for r.e.m. stuff

Just wanted to add my thanks for the Trolling For Olives uploads (been after that for ages) and for all the other goodies posted on this marvellous thread.

Just wanted to add my thanks for the Trolling For Olives uploads (been after those for ages), along with all the other recent uploads. This has been a wonderful thread.

Edit - Sorry for double-post; didn't realise that I wasn't signed in when I initially posted. Guest posting don't appear to show up immediately.

Last edited:
I wonder if some kind person could help me out.

I learned today that there is another version of 'Radio Free Europe' that I haven't heard.

According to the REM Timeline (http://www.remtimeline.com/1980.html), it mentions the following for June 1981:

'The band return to Bombay Recording Studios with Johnny Hibbert. They bring with them the two versions of 'Radio Free Europe', the one mixed by Hibbert, and the other mixed by Easter, and use the studio to decide which one to put on the Hib-Tone Records single. Hibbert's mix wins and can be found on the original Hib-Tone Records single. Easter's mix can be found on the 'Eponymous' compilation album.'

So it looks like the version labelled as 'Hib-Tone Single' on 'Eponymous' and, subsequently, 'And I Feel Fine... (Deluxe)' / 'Complete Rarities', isn't actually the version that was on the original single.

Also, there's a comment here (https://www.discogs.com/REM-Radio-Free-Europe/release/2706166) that states:

'Just to clear up a common miss understanding, the Eponymous version is the Mitch Easter mix. This version HT001 is the Johnny Hibbert mix.3.35. Only ever used on this single. The Band preferred the Mitch Easter mix. Johnny Hibbert owned the rights to the single so he pulled rank. The fact is REM would never use the JH mix again. The ME mix 3.46 appears on Eponymous and I Feel Fine, Best of IRS years.'

So it looks like there are 6 versions out there:

Demos (recorded with Mitch Easter)
1) Demo - Drive-In Studio, 15/04/81 (From 'Cassette Tape' bootleg) (3:40)
2) Demo (Radio Dub) - Drive-In Studio, 23/04/81 (From 'Cassette Tape' bootleg) (3:38)

Official Releases
3) Hib-Tone Single (Hibbert Mix - mixed 25/05/81) (Released on 'RFE' 7" (Hib-Tone HT 0001) (3:35) *****
4) "Hib-Tone Single" (Easter Mix - mixed 02-03/06/81) (Released on 'Eponymous' and subsequent compilations) (3:49)
5) Album (Released on 'Murmur) (4:06)
6) I.R.S. Single Edit (Released on 'RFE' 7" (I.R.S. IR-9916) (3:12)

So my question is, does anyone have a vinyl rip of the original Hip-Tone single (see ***** above)? If so, any chance of a copy?
I would love to hear a copy of this. Presumably this is the version the band loathed so much.

Thanks for your response, but I think that's the version on 'Eponymous' and not a vinyl rip from the single (despite the misleading image on the video).
The uploader commented 'Released in 1981, my copy was ripped from the album Eponymous'.

The version I'm after is 3:35 in length and is (supposedly) only on the original Hib-Tone single, as opposed to the version above which 3:49.

Thanks anyway. :)

Anybody got a copy directly from the single?

perspex, you are probably right, even if at this point it's such a confusion, I can't tell what is what anymore.

But I noticed what you're pointing some time ago and can say this: people have been mislabelling their versions (all identical!) as Hibbert's and Easter's indiscriminately. Every time people say "this is X's version", it's just exactly the same version we've known for a long time, which I assume is Easter's, since the band always refused to use Hibbert's.

And I can tell you I've never heard Hibbert's version, or at least a version that doesn't sound exactly like Easter's.

Yeah, I think the waters have been really muddied with this. It really doesn't help with the band labelling the Easter mix as being 'Hib-Tone Single'.
It's probably confused a hell of a lot of people. I had literally no idea that there was a different mix out there until yesterday. Presumably, no one is really looking for this mix as everyone assumes that it's the one on 'Eponymous' / 'And I Feel Fine...' (deluxe).

It appears that there was 600 copies of the single printed in the first batch, then 6,000 of the second printing. So there's quite a few copies out there. Here's hoping that someone watching this thread has a copy and can provide a rip.

What was up with this forum yesterday? Instead of morrissey-solo, it was showing an "under construction" personal website of someone who seemed to be a Chinese entrepreneur of some sort. Hacking? Foreshadowing?

Many thanks for doing this, doctoracula.

Just had a preliminary listen to identify any difference and, apart from a shorter intro, RFE sounds practically the same as the version on 'Eponymous' et al.
Anybody else spot any obvious differences?

Will give it a proper listen tonight.

Once again, thank you so much for going to the trouble to rip this. It is appreciated.

Many thanks for doing this, doctoracula.

Just had a preliminary listen to identify any difference and, apart from a shorter intro, RFE sounds practically the same as the version on 'Eponymous' et al.
Anybody else spot any obvious differences?

Will give it a proper listen tonight.

Once again, thank you so much for going to the trouble to rip this. It is appreciated.

Completely agreed. It's the same old.

Thanks a lot for taking the time and adding to the discussion, doc! :D:thumb:

Thank you to everyone who uploads REM music, and to those who contribute to this thread. It is pretty much the only reason I keep coming back to this site.

Tags
r.e.m. rem
Back
Top Bottom