And I had a look of bedevilment

I forgot to say thanks to the poster too, Thank you so so so much! x

Excellent stuff, many thanks!

I'm not an early Smiths expert (or even reasonably knowledgable), but was this vocal actually recorded in Morrissey's bedroom while still living with Mum? And it hasn't surfaced until now? Quite amazing...

Which brings me to a question (on which there may be an extant thread), but where did Morrissey get his talent for vocal melody? Even in this very early recording it's obvious he has a unique sense of phrasing and a gift of melody -- and Marr's chords seemed to have brought it out almost immediately. Can't think of another songwriting partnership that hit its stride so quickly.

Anyway, back to my question of where it comes from. I know Morrissey spent years developing his taste in music, books, poetry etc. But a lot of people into brilliant things can't produce brilliance. Where did the sense of singing come from?

Oh, and thanks to the person who posted this!

Last edited:
I've wondered that... he has a really lovely voice, even better now than ever. Yet he's never had any training, other than singing along in his bedroom from the age of 6, has he?

I think the word "talent" is overused in this world, but not in his case.

I'm not an early Smiths expert (or even reasonably knowledgable), but was this vocal actually recorded in Morrissey's bedroom while still living with Mum? And it hasn't surfaced until now? Quite amazing...

Which brings me to a question (on which there may be an extant thread), but where did Morrissey get his talent for vocal melody? Even in this very early recording it's obvious he has a unique sense of phrasing and a gift of melody -- and Marr's chords seemed to have brought it out almost immediately. Can't think of another songwriting partnership that hit its stride so quickly.

Anyway, back to my question of where it comes from. I know Morrissey spent years developing his taste in music, books, poetry etc. But a lot of people into brilliant things can't produced brilliance. Where did the sense of singing come from?

I've wondered that... he has a really lovely voice, even better now than ever. Yet he's never had any training, other than singing along in his bedroom from the age of 6, has he?

I think the word "talent" is overused in this world, but not in his case.

Listening to that (and listening to everything else he's ever done, but especially this track knowing how incredibly young he was) the only thing I can say is, Morrissey was put on earth to write and sing. I think he was a singer in the womb. There aren't enough adjectives to describe what an amazing talent he has!

First of all, thanks to the lovely poster for sharing this gem.

Wasn't this piece - together with "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" - part of the 8-track demos recorded in Decibel Studios in the summer of 1982? Engineered by D. H.?

Would love to hear more....;)

I'm not an early Smiths expert (or even reasonably knowledgable), but was this vocal actually recorded in Morrissey's bedroom while still living with Mum?
No.

First of all, thanks to the lovely poster for sharing this gem.

Wasn't this piece - together with "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" - part of the 8-track demos recorded in Decibel Studios in the summer of 1982? Engineered by D. H.?
Yes.

I guess nobody noticed my post on page 1... :rolleyes:

The fabled whalley Range demo?

Apoligised for because the sound was low due to someone sleeping in next room?!?!
What Whalley Range demo?

I know that Morrissey allegedly (at least accoring to the LTM website) did some demos in his pre-Smiths days, with Ian Devine, but that would be to entire different melodies, and none of that survives.

The demo you mention must be the one that Richard Boon talked about, the one that Morrissey sent him. That was supposed to be "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" set to a different tune, and with barely audible vocal. Boon said Morrissey apologized for the vocal saying his mother was asleep in the other room. So he obviously recorded the vocal in his house, not Whalley Range.

This is obviously a Smiths demo of the "Suffer Little Children" as we know it, with music written by Johnny Marr. My guess is this is the Decibel Demo from August 1982.

Please get this straight:

The Decibel Demo was recorded with The Smiths in August 1982.

The demo Morrissey had sent to Richard Boon a year or two earlier (the one with vocals recorded in his house with mom asleep) was, obviously, NOT recorded with The Smiths, the song was "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" - or rather, the same lyrics set to a DIFFERENT tune. Which, obviously, couldn't have been written by Johnny Marr.

This is obviously NOT that demo.

This demo was obviously recorded with the Smiths, as this version of "Suffer Little Children" is the same one that we know, with music written by Johnny Marr. Judging by the documentary "These Things Take Time" where you hear a part of it, I'd say that this must be the Decibel Demo.

Sackcloth and Ashes!!
N&D, thanks for pointing this out.
I really shouldnt make smartass comments before reading the whole thread..:o

Shouldn't this be in downloads/bootlegs forum. HA HA HA HA HA.

We're waiting for the next instalment. Well when I say we I mean I. Like the Royals.

This is obviously a Smiths demo of the "Suffer Little Children" as we know it, with music written by Johnny Marr. My guess is this is the Decibel Demo from August 1982.
I'm pretty sure you're correct about this being the Decibel Demo however it is only a segment of it. The full demo is over seven minutes in length.

I'm pretty sure you're correct about this being the Decibel Demo however it is only a segment of it. The full demo is over seven minutes in length.

to point out the obvious..the name of the person who posted this is Decibelle....a hint maybe?

Was 'I Want A Boy For My Birthday' recorded in this session?

If so, that's the one I really want! :-D

I Want A Boy For My Birthday is a "home demo" recorded a few days/weeks before the Decibel Demos.

The Decibel Demos consist of The Hand That Rocks The Cradle and Suffer Little Children.

Back
Top Bottom