Another borrowed lyric?

Was just reading last Sunday's Observer Review and there was an article on the Mitfords, specifically on Jessica Mitford whose letters have just been published as a book 'Decca'.
Anyways, there was a small piece at the foot of the article about each of the Mitford sisters with quotes; Unity Mitford is described as 'a fascist sympathiser and friend of Hitler', and this what was quoted:

"We think with joy of the day when we shall be able to say with might and authority: England for the English!"

Apologies if this has already been pointed out by someone infinitely more knowledgable than i.

For the record, Unity shot herself in the head on the day England declared war on Germany. i believe she was slightly upset.

Most of these lyrics alledged quotations are far-fetched.
England for the english is so common you can even find it in Alice in wonderland.

Hmm, yes, I have a feeling -- though I don't know for sure -- that this phrase is fairly common stock. Perhaps that's the point, or one of them, in the song itself.

Yann, where is it in "Alice"? That's a great reference... :)

Hmm, yes, I have a feeling -- though I don't know for sure -- that this phrase is fairly common stock. Perhaps that's the point, or one of them, in the song itself.
I would think that phrases like "England for the English", "France for the French", etc. are very common in the language of every xenophobic far-right organization/movement?

I have actually seen "Serbia for the Serbs" as a graffiti on the wall (it was a bit of battle of graffiti-writers - someone else wrote "Serbia for the workers" over it in red letters :) ).

Most of these lyrics alledged quotations are far-fetched.
England for the english is so common you can even find it in Alice in wonderland.

Fair do's. it's just that i get quite excited when i see his lyrics repeated places. In my head the link went, fascist, quote, Mozzer well read, national front disco. i reckon he'll be very well aquainted with the history of the Mitfords as they hung out with the Sitwells and the Bloomsbury set, but yes, i concede that the phrase is probably just plucked from the common ether.

Back
Top Bottom