Antony & the Johnsons - The Crying Light

Thanks Flax, hope you don't mind me taking a copy. I just recently got into Antony and the Johnsons via a White Stripes forum i visit. Bought a ticket to see them in Edinburgh in June. It's a long time since I have been so taken with new music, even though I'm catching on quite late. I've trawled through youtube and watched most of what's there and I can't wait to see them live. Just exquisite music, not like anything else I usually listen too, but WOW, his voice and emotion is quite overwhelming. One of my favourite songs is a cover of Candy Says with Lou Reed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em7gC0bq_aM
(tried to embed but it never worked :confused:)

I must have watched this everday, just so beautiful mixing with Lou's gravely voice. He looks so in awe of Antony at the end. Just perfection.

Hey scottishblood, go ahead and download it. It was a free download, and the song is great.

I love Candy Says as well... interestingly, this song is about Candy Darling, who appears on the Sheila Take a Bow sleeve, as well as on the cover of I Am A Bird Now from Antony.

ah, and to embed a youtube video you have to do this:
HTML:
[media=youtube]Em7gC0bq_aM[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey scottishblood, go ahead and download it. It was a free download, and the song is great.

I love Candy Says as well... interestingly, this song is about Candy Darling, who appears on the Sheila Take a Bow sleeve, as well as on the cover of I Am A Bird Now from Antony.

HTML:

I love Candy Says too. It's a perfect song for Antony to cover. I haven't seen it but Antony sings it at the end of the Lou Reed Berlin DVD that was released at the end of last year. I have to buy this just so I can have Antony on film singing this wonderfully painful and sad song.

I love Antony, he's so unique. I don't own anything of his/theirs, but I want to. Any suggestions where to start? Thanks. Has he ever said that Roy Orbison was an influence? I draw comparisons, surely I can't be the only one?

I love Antony, he's so unique. I don't own anything of his/theirs, but I want to. Any suggestions where to start? Thanks. Has he ever said that Roy Orbison was an influence? I draw comparisons, surely I can't be the only one?

I'm not aware of him saying Roy Orbison was an influence but now you've said it I can see it. He's talked of a number of influences such as Marc Almond (Soft Cell / Marc & The Mambas / solo), Boy George, Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen, Nina Simone and plenty more.

A&TJ's have released three full studio albums; Antony & The Johnsons; I Am A Bird Now; The Crying Light. Start with any of these but get them all. Antony has worked with a lot of other artists doing duet or full vocals for them on various albums or singles over the last few years. It's actually quite staggering how many guest spots he's done and they are quite varied in style too. For instance his work with Hercules & Love Affair is unexpected but still beautiful although they are a dance outfit.

Enjoy the journey as there is a lot to explore. Antony is a unique artist and I hope he's around for a long time.

He has 3 albums and a few singles. Try the second "I Am A Bird Now". But all of them are great.

I'm not aware of him saying Roy Orbison was an influence but now you've said it I can see it. He's talked of a number of influences such as Marc Almond (Soft Cell / Marc & The Mambas / solo), Boy George, Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen, Nina Simone and plenty more.

A&TJ's have released three full studio albums; Antony & The Johnsons; I Am A Bird Now; The Crying Light. Start with any of these but get them all. Antony has worked with a lot of other artists doing duet or full vocals for them on various albums or singles over the last few years. It's actually quite staggering how many guest spots he's done and they are quite varied in style too. For instance his work with Hercules & Love Affair is unexpected but still beautiful although they are a dance outfit.

Enjoy the journey as there is a lot to explore. Antony is a unique artist and I hope he's around for a long time.

Thanks! :) I was once going to buy I Am A Bird Now after I saw Antony on David Letterman. Not sure why I didn't...but I will now. :) Nice influences, I can see the Boy George a bit ;) That's cool Lou is an influence too, makes me appreciate the Candy Says video a lot more. I didn't know he guest vocaled for other artists, maybe I've heard him and didn't realize it? Well, thanks again!

HTML:

Thanks Flax, I didn't realise that she was on the Sheila cover and I have it aswell. Should take more notice. I know Antony talks alot about Boy George being a huge influence growing up, but I actually prefer the versions of "You are my sister" without his vocals. I also love his version of "If it be your will" which is a Leonard Cohen song. He performed it for the "I'm Your Man" documentary. Another youtube favourite

The little bit of Leonard speaking at the start is the essence of what I feel music is all about.

Thanks Flax, I didn't realise that she was on the Sheila cover and I have it as well.

Another interesting fact about Candy Darling:

The title of the song "You Know I Couldn't Last" comes from a letter she wrote for Andy Warhol and his posse, right before she passed away:

"Unfortunately before my death I had no desire left for life... I am just so bored by everything. You might say bored to death. Did you know I couldn't last. I always knew it. I wish I could meet you all again."

Antony's new album The Crying Light is brilliant...But I actually think I LOVE the Another World EP just a touch more, because it feels just a little darker and more strange.

- J

Antony is one of my favourite artists - I feel a supreme connection to both him and his work, and it has been very important to me both in my own artistic development and my general life.

I am sitting in college dying to get out so I can run to HMV and buy The Crying Light!

As I promised, I indeed bought The Crying Light - I listened to it tonight and I was completely overwhelmed.

Absolutely beautiful, Dust and Water may be one of the most beautiful songs he has written.

My CD copy of the album arrived today and I'm in raptures over the beautiful artwork and the music, as always, is totally sublime.

Can anyone help with the extra tracks that were available to itunes pre-orders and from the official site?

Antony & the Johnsons is currently playing on February 2nd at the Keswick Theater, in Glenside, PA. I hope to go if I don't have to work OT.

Antony asked his friends the Wachowski Brothers to work with him on a video for his new single "Epilepsy is Dancing". They in turn invited painters Tino Rodriguez and Virgo Paradiso to create costumes and a mystical environment and choreographer Sean Dorsey and his dancers to bring the dream sequence to life. Antony's artistic partner Johanna Constantine stars as herself in the role of "Deer Monster". The video was lit and shot by the up-and-coming directors of photography, Chris Blasingame and Banker White, and produced by Jim Jerome. The production team collectively named themselves AFAS. Please enjoy the fruits of their San Francisco art party.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWPJLohfov0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWPJLohfov0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/youtube]

doesn't he desreve some money, for cries loud, the album is a few days
out.

I HAVE AND NOW DO AGAIN PROSTEST AGASINST ORIGINAL RELEASED
WORK FOR download, IN THE FIRST YEAR ITS RELEASED

no, this is way different than leaking an album

I had hoped David T put it up when Abahan did something also, over a year ago

and the album is stunning, BUY IT, go see HIM and his band

Tags
antony=my gay best friend
Back
Top Bottom