Antwerp - Stadsschouwburg (Nov. 27, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Suedehead / The Bullfighter Dies / Speedway + I Didn't Know What To Do + Speedway / Staircase At The University / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Smiler With Knife / Istanbul / Kiss Me A Lot / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Asleep / Scandinavia / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Mountjoy / Certain People I Know

set list provided by Alejandro Kapacevich / Facebook via Raphael Lambach.

• During the break in "Speedway", Gilbert O'Sullivan's "I Didn't Know What To Do" Was played. Link to video on YouTube (2:30 mark, user funktofunky11) posted by an anonymous person:

"I Didn't Know What To Do" by Gilbert O'Sullivan on YouTube (user mohawk3881) identified and posted by HangtheDJ16:

Description:

Another rare early track from around 1967 / 68 that appeared on the rare Italian album E LE SUE CANZONI in 1974 . This recording is unavailable on any of Gilbert`s current releases.

Last edited:
You lady and your ignorance to the Michael Brown case determine you as a worthless cow.

You have exposed yourself as a misogynist with that comment. You wouldn't refer to a male commenter as a 'cow', now would you? So if you think you can continue to moralize after that shameful remark then you are sadly mistaken. But for entertainment purposes, why don't you explain to your captive audience why Johnny Barleycorn and CrystalGeezer are wrong about the Michael Brown case? I can't wait to see you try to defend a thief who strong-arms middle-aged Asian shopkeepers..

P.S. I don't know if you're male or female: but don't give me the "I'm female so I can't be a misogynist" excuse. If you're male then you have already proven yourself to be a woman hater, and if you're female then you've obviously been thoroughly indoctrinated by the patriarchy, and your self-loathing is evident. "Either way you're wrong." No escape!

Seekin' the truth on the dark corners of the internet, and exposing loud-mouthed hypocrites for what they really are...
The Truth Seeker
(line 'em up and I'll knock 'em down)

I saw both the Antwerp shows. They were both great, morrissey in great form, great singing! Yesterday the crowd was much better, much better atmosphere. Although he did his best, the crowd today 'sucked'... On top of that, some 'stupid f*ck' in the crowd shouted some things that upset Morrissey (I couldn't understand what he said). Morrissey shouted 'f*** you' to the guy and invited him to come on stage and sing, when he didn't, Morrissey called him a coward ! Unbelievable that those people come to a concert ! Luckily he continued the show.
He played a lot of other songs than yesterday, that was great! Asleep, mountjoy, certain people I know, ... During the break in speedway they played another song!
He dedicated asleep to the boy that was shot in the US...
I blame it to that one coward that he walked off without encore...
All respect to Morrissey!

He said: shut up and give us a song

I was a few rows in front of the heckler. After 'Scandinavia' Morrissey started talking about the Belgian royals and went on about Kate Middleton. At the end of the speech some guy shouted "Just play us a song man!" in a quite derogatory manner as if bored. Morrissey reacted immediately and was obviously quite upset. He said:"Oh shut up! f*** off! ... I don't want to sing now." Then he asked for the houselights to go on and asked the heckler to make himself known. He did and it was an ugly middle aged balding guy with a red sweater. He was grinning and waving his arms in the air, obvioulsy enjoying his five minutes of fame. Morrissey called him out several times and dared him to come on the podium and sing us a song. The guy didn't move only called "I sing better than you!", but I think this got lost in the talking that had started to build in the hall at that time. Morrissey then called him a coward several times and then said "Just go away. Have I ever done that?" The heckler was really a big twat, cause later during 'Mountjoy' which was a really intimate beautiful moment he started screeching very loudly during the song and not in a cheering way but making a very harsh annoying sound, apparantly in attempt to ruin the ballad. And it did sort of ruin it for me. Morrissey went on and played a few more songs, but obviously way shorter than should have been. No HSIN, no MIM, no encore. It's such a shame because Morrissey had been in such good spirits, talking a lot to the crowd (about cyclists in Antwerp, about the 12 year old boy that got shot by police in Cleveland - he dedicated 'Asleep' to that boy-, and about the royals). At the moment I feel absolutely no anger towards Moz at all, only to the heckler who semi-ruined a great evening for all those hundreds of fans. In a way I was even glad Moz went on at all after that cause when he said "I don't want to sing now" I feared the show was over. We know he reacts very emotianal to these kind of shout outs, obviously there's a few twats who enjoy the negative attention and don't care about Moz or all the other people at the venue. I keep thinking what overly sedated people we Belgians are, if this had happened at a Moz concert in some places in the world I think the bystanders would have shoved the heckler out of the venue, but here people just gave him a few weird looks.
A few other moments. At some point during the show somebody shouted:"I love you!" and Moz quipped:"And are you seeing a psychiatrist?" I also want to mention the superb version of 'Asleep' for which he got a big ovation.
All in all a great evening, shame we missed out on a great finale due to the bald red sweater twat.

why didn't you say something to the fat guy? I would have found security and had then ask him to leave. Are Americans the only ones that do this?

Maybe he was passed off with the security that was basically beating the shit out of some of the fans in the front?

I don't get why the crowd is unresponsive to some of you. Those who make that comment are in all likelyhood not Belgians. It was a typical, listening Belgian audience like it would be with any other artist. Anna Calvi's opening gig was as silent as I ever heard, everybody just nailed to their seats and listening. Sorry if we don't yell along with every syllable he sings.

It got rowday a couple minutes before M came on stage in the first rows, with a few punches thrown out too.
And I dare say that the heckler was most likely foreign. He shouldn't pay attention to those bastards. Not worth of stopping a gig or song for one guy.

People don't purchase concert tickets in order to be ranked and judged by other fans.They do it for their own reason.Not to be judged on their participation as an audience.Personally, with as many people who attend a concert I wonder how anyone thinks they can exude any control over this. There are lots of individuals who attend of their own will.It seems ridiculous and as a concert ticket holder why should a person have to keep in mind that other fans or other people are judging them. It seems unhealthy. People are just being who they are.This will never make sense to me .

I've seen a lot of gigs (no, really). I have never seen any audience member heckle a performer apart from at Moz shows. Why do you think this happens? Why does he attract people who are so irritated by him they have to attack him? It's extraordinary, truly it is. In 300 gigs over 25 years I've never seen ONE heckler. People are there to have a good time. Except for Moz fans, apparently. It's f***ed up.

And btw, the setlist is terrible. It'll go down like a fart in a spacesuit tomorrow. New songs? Fine, great, 4 or 5. Not 10. The balance is just ridiculously bad.

Hi,

Yesterday was my first time seeing Morrissey live, I travelled from France to see him. Even if there was only one Smiths song, it was "Asleep" so I consider myself very lucky to hear this one live (beautiful).
I was at row 12 and I am the one who shouted We love you. He had this surprised face and quipped "Oh, do you ?" and after a pause added "Then you may need a psychiatrist". I felt there was not enough response from the crowd so i just wanted him to hear something nice for a change (good thing considering the red sweater guy incident). Really happy he answered by the way.
After "certain people i know " i really hoped for an encore because the ending was quite abrupt, but there wasn't.
However it was my first (and i hope not the last) time seeing him and even if the crowd wasn't the best, even if it was slighty short, the songs of the new album are really great and I am so lucky for seeing him at least once in my life. Guess some people don't recognize how lucky they are and are tempted to ruin everyone else evening. He must lead a sad life.

No, they enjoyed playing - they looked very focused. Boz did his little performances and had fun. He didn't laugh all the time, but then does he have to in order to have fun? Jesse did a whole range of variations to the "traditional" score, also stole his part of the limelight and did it with gusto and bravoure. He might not be Morrissey's most versatile and creative writing partner, but he's very solid when it comes to a live set. Band and Morrissey were very much on top of their game tonight - live versions of Mountjoy and Smiler with knife were good, yet probably not in their final form yet. During Scandinavia the band also skipped a verse, and Morrissey went on raising only his eyebrows a bit ;-)

The short setlist is completely and uniquely the blame of that shameless moron who dared to ask Morrissey to shut up and start a song. Twat!

I respect your opinion/reaction but I see a lot of concerts and almost every time singer and band members interact with each other. With Morrissey they always stand on their own, each of them in their own little universe (and doing that very well I might add). Maybe that is why it seems that they don't enjoy it.

I also respect the choice to stop whenever Morrissey wants but I would have liked an encore. There are and will always be stupid people (man, I've seen some twisted stuff around the years at concerts). We will also never know if that heckle was the reason for that "strange" ending of the concert.

Again (I know I repeat myself a lot), it was a great concert (and all the rest doesn't really matter).

What the f*** are you on about you bumbling knob?

It's a gig, the majority of fans were there to hear his songs, he played his songs, they went home happy.

Has it ever occurred to you that the majority of people don't give a sit about what he says, what he wears, what his opinions are and simply like his songs?

You really are a thick twat

I'm not sure why you're getting so angry, surface. It's just an opinion in which I happen to outline what I see as inconsistencies in Morrissey's public persona. If there weren't significant inconsistencies I wouldn't be able to point them out, would I? Don't blame me, blame him.

Your assertion is an odd one to make after a show in Antwerp which did not sell out. If people want to see the things you describe they are certainly doing it in unprecedented numbers, but not in a good way. I get it. Morrissey could murder your entire family with an ice axe and you'd be delighted. Good for you! It's an attitude which does you great credit. Meanwhile, back on Earth...

What exactly did sweater man do wrong? He just told a singer to sing. How on earth could he be ejected for that? By accounts here he wasn't abusive, unlike the act. It's really not much different to asking a London taxi driver you've employed to drive you to Paddington to actually drive instead of taking you the long way round while telling you it's all the immigrants' fault.

If people wanted a politically naive diatribe they'd buy a ticket to see Glenn Greenwald and Miranda, his lovely assistant. Far from being insightful polemic on the state of the planet too often Morrissey's comments in fact appear to be the drunken ramblings of an out of touch spoilt brat. They are often morally insensitive and factually wrong. None of us knows for sure what goes on in Morrissey's world, but my sense is it's not unlike that episode of The Twilight Zone with the little kid with special powers. If the band pop out of Jack In The Box boxes on Saturday night perhaps we'll know for sure. Poor bastards.

Even hardcore fans here have mentioned the show can drag. What must casual punters think? Didn't he do six World Peace tracks in a row one night last week or the week before? That's not a show, it's a punishment. I think Morrissey has a duty to provide a decent show and if he wants to tour pretty much the whole of World Peace he should make that clear to his customers beforehand. The Jesus & Mary Chain are touring Psychocandy on its thirtieth anniversary. If Morrissey chooses to do essentially the same with World Peace (but after thirty weeks) that's fine, but tell people.

Better entertainers than Morrissey have been catcalled on stage without flouncing off. It's been happening since the first caveman wrapped himself in a fur and pretended to be caribou to amuse his mates. The two questions which should be addressed are why is it happening and why is Morrissey, after three decades in the business, so incapable of dealing with it in a professional manner?

A poster here who attended last night says he sensed a problem onstage even before the heckler incident. Is it possible the key to last night lies there and that problem started in the dressing room and Ol' Red just wound it up to breaking point?

Morrissey seems to have a serious health issue. It may be physical, mental, perhaps even substance based. No other artist stumbles from gig to gig in this manner, with a public drama a week without there being a serious underlying issue. It can't always be the audience. The only constant is the act.

In previous years he'd have cancelled the tour already. Sadly, after the Harvest and World Peace disaster he cannot. He feels he has something to prove. The thing he's actually proving is that Harvest were right to wash their hands of him and naïve to have signed him in the first place.

This whole thing is like watching a punch drunk boxing champion trying to recapture his youth. It's by turn pathetic, depressing, and a salutary lesson to the rest of us. "The lone and level sands stretch far away." He in danger of becoming the Little Man, What Now? of Viva Hate. It's genuinely dispiriting.

"I'll take a "f*** Johnny Barleycorn" in black, please. Medium."

I'm not sure why you're getting so angry, surface. It's just an opinion in which I happen to outline what I see as inconsistencies in Morrissey's public persona. If there weren't significant inconsistencies I wouldn't be able to point them out, would I? Don't blame me, blame him.

Your assertion is an odd one to make after a show in Antwerp which did not sell out. If people want to see the things you describe they are certainly doing it in unprecedented numbers, but not in a good way. I get it. Morrissey could murder your entire family with an ice axe and you'd be delighted. Good for you! It's an attitude which does you great credit. Meanwhile, back on Earth...

What exactly did sweater man do wrong? He just told a singer to sing. How on earth could he be ejected for that? By accounts here he wasn't abusive, unlike the act. It's really not much different to asking a London taxi driver you've employed to drive you to Paddington to actually drive instead of taking you the long way round while telling you it's all the immigrants' fault.

If people wanted a politically naive diatribe they'd buy a ticket to see Glenn Greenwald and Miranda, his lovely assistant. Far from being insightful polemic on the state of the planet too often Morrissey's comments in fact appear to be the drunken ramblings of an out of touch spoilt brat. They are often morally insensitive and factually wrong. None of us knows for sure what goes on in Morrissey's world, but my sense is it's not unlike that episode of The Twilight Zone with the little kid with special powers. If the band pop out of Jack In The Box boxes on Saturday night perhaps we'll know for sure. Poor bastards.

Even hardcore fans here have mentioned the show can drag. What must casual punters think? Didn't he do six World Peace tracks in a row one night last week or the week before? That's not a show, it's a punishment. I think Morrissey has a duty to provide a decent show and if he wants to tour pretty much the whole of World Peace he should make that clear to his customers beforehand. The Jesus & Mary Chain are touring Psychocandy on its thirtieth anniversary. If Morrissey chooses to do essentially the same with World Peace (but after thirty weeks) that's fine, but tell people.

Better entertainers than Morrissey have been catcalled on stage without flouncing off. It's been happening since the first caveman wrapped himself in a fur and pretended to be caribou to amuse his mates. The two questions which should be addressed are why is it happening and why is Morrissey, after three decades in the business, so incapable of dealing with it in a professional manner?

A poster here who attended last night says he sensed a problem onstage even before the heckler incident. Is it possible the key to last night lies there and that problem started in the dressing room and Ol' Red just wound it up to breaking point?

Morrissey seems to have a serious health issue. It may be physical, mental, perhaps even substance based. No other artist stumbles from gig to gig in this manner, with a public drama a week without there being a serious underlying issue. It can't always be the audience. The only constant is the act.

In previous years he'd have cancelled the tour already. Sadly, after the Harvest and World Peace disaster he cannot. He feels he has something to prove. The thing he's actually proving is that Harvest were right to wash their hands of him and naïve to have signed him in the first place.

This whole thing is like watching a punch drunk boxing champion trying to recapture his youth. It's by turn pathetic, depressing, and a salutary lesson to the rest of us. "The lone and level sands stretch far away." He in danger of becoming the Little Man, What Now? of Viva Hate. It's genuinely dispiriting.

It's all very well. These are your very own opinions and it's great that you can elaborate on them with such gusto. But the mystery remains: Why are you here? Why do you waste your time and energy on something and someone you do not, in fact, care for? And for such a bleeding long time?
You have been asked these questions many times before and they keep coming back at you because you never give a solid, level-headed and straightforward answer. Yuo always retort with some long, worked up rant instead. Talking loudly and using many words, but actually saying f*** all.
So once again I ask: Why do you spend so much time on something/someone you do not care for?

And if you once again fail to answer straight-forwardly I will assume that you simply do not know why and I will henceforth regard you as someone who is most likely...ill.

Last edited:

" I'm sorry we've sold out of those in that size but we have some 'f*** harvest, f*** Benny, f*** Brummie and Sharon's oh and some f*** David T, f*** Kristeen, f*** Visconti and a couple of f*** Solo's ' left in that size and I can throw in a stencil for a fiver if you like ! "

Benny-the-British-Butcher

This is the song he's playing during Speedway:

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrissey found a loophole to get off the stage as fast as he can and say it's not his fault.

No offence, man, but nothing you have written there makes any sense. The part about Morrissey needing to announce the setlist beforehand or explain that he's going to play most of the new album was very funny though, I'll give you that. Because it was a joke, right??

if you go to a Moz concert you can be subjected to have the lights turned on you, and being humiliated and ejected for saying of all things, 'get on with a song' after a political speech? and have the artist stop the show and walk out? and if you DONT say anything at all, you can be subjected to a walk out as well, being a lame crowd? lol

No offence, man, but nothing you have written there makes any sense. The part about Morrissey needing to announce the setlist beforehand or explain that he's going to play most of the new album was very funny though, I'll give you that. Because it was a joke, right??

Just my thoughts. As sad as it is, it's no surprise we get the hecklers at the shows seeing what some people do write here. I still love going to Moz shows! If you don't like him......just ignore him. As simple as that!

most punk rock shows the performers are heckled non stop as part of the show. well said.

You always retort with some long, worked up rant instead. Talking loudly and using many words, but actually saying f*** all.
So once again I ask: Why do you spend so much time on something/someone you do not care for?

And if you once again fail to answer straight-forwardly I will assume that you simply do not know why and I will henceforth regard you as someone who is most likely...ill.

I'm going to go out on a pretty sturdy limb here and say that he enjoys seeing responses—any responses—since that gives him the opportunity to use even more words. If the goal is anything other than wanting to see his words spread down the page like watery vomit, he's failed beyond miserably.

I guess with Morrissey not having his usual security guys with him now sticks out like a sore thumb, they would have had the heckler thrown out in seconds, sometimes it is hard to prove who the hecklers are, but in this case some idiot in a red jumper would have been easy to drag out

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom