Any advice for someone who's going to their first concert?

Blue Dress

Hello everyone. I will be going to see Morrissey for the very first time in December. I'm extremely excited and I still can't believe it, and I also don't know what to expect. I've been to other performers' gigs before, but is there anything I should know about my first live Moz experience? :)
What to expect, how nuts will it be, can I bring my camera? Should I go to the very front?

where are you seeing him?

Your camera won't really be allowed but that doesn't stop you from hiding it when you go it.

If you're at the *very* front - against the barrier - then it's great. Back from that though it can get very physical.

If you want to maximise you're chances of being on the barrier you're best of turning up at the venue about 1pm(!) and queuing with the others there at that time.

I'll see you there!

Yes, it will be at GMEX on Dec 23rd. :p OMG! Outwardly I may appear calm, but inside I'm jumping with joy and nerves and anticipation and disbelief!

Thank you mspendl828, I appreciate that. I will see how early I can get there. I do want to bring a camera, it has never been taken away from me before, at any show. I think my chances are pretty good. I can take about 900 pictures with my memory card, and I think I might just use up all of it!

Yeah, I'm a really excited newbie, how dorky is that.

From previous experience at Moz concerts, the closer you are to the front - the better! At the Carling Acad. in Glasgow I was in the row behind the people on the barriers, meaning I was literally 10-12 feet from Moz, and it was truly fantastic.

I agree with the above poster, it DOES get physical but that's just part of the occassion.Towards the end of the concert you will get the crowd surfers etc so watch out, haha.

Tremendous experience though, you will love every minute of it, I am sure.

I, too, cannot wait. Travelling down from Port Glasgow, Scotland, for it.

What does one do with the crowd surfers? Just help them surf along? :p

Yeah, push them away from you!

Moz gigs are tremendous though. The "Morrissey Morrissey Morrissey" chants at the beginning of each concert make hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Breathtaking, to say the least.

I really want to make sure I am at the front this time.

Well, I might as well break all the rules and record the gig too! :D That singing, the first time I ever heard it was on that documentary Importance of Being Morrissey, and I just sat there like this: :eek: . To think I will hear it for myself, I almost can't believe it!

No, tickets are not for sale yet, but I'm going for sure, no matter if I get them thru regular channels or elsewhere (like eBay). I HAVE to be there. Period.

Well, I might as well break all the rules and record the gig too! :D That singing, the first time I ever heard it was on that documentary Importance of Being Morrissey, and I just sat there like this: :eek: . To think I will hear it for myself, I almost can't believe it!

Yep, the chanting really is exceptional. Moz loves every minute of it, too.

A very, very special night is in store for you if it's your first Moz gig.

Enjoy!:cool:

I will, thanks! I'm sure I'll contribute to the gig thread afterwards, as soon as I regain my composure... :p

No, tickets are not for sale yet, but I'm going for sure, no matter if I get them thru regular channels or elsewhere (like eBay). I HAVE to be there. Period.

Well, I hope you enjoy it, I attended my first gigs earlier this year and I was like:eek: :eek: :eek: IT'S ACTUALLY HIM, the crowd goes mad which is great especially when the lager starts flying, he is a man who really seems to enter into the spirit of things and when I went he seemed to enjoy teasing the crowd. I hope he still opens with, "First of the Gang To Die" it really gets the crowd going and I'm hoping for some more Smiths suprises. All being well I will attend the gig on the 22nd. Have fun xx.

Having FOTG as intro is fantastic, in my opinion. The intro to the song just gets the crowd bouncing and right into it.

At Carling Acad in April it was like - Morrissey chants - pitch black - Morrissey enters - intro to FOTG - SWEAT & HEAT!:D

First of all, I'm ever so jealous of you all, I've never been to a Moz concert. :( I have a silly question about the chanting, though: isn't it a part of every gig in the UK, US etc.? People always bring it up as one of the things that make Moz gigs special, but here in Israel it's very common to chant at bands (except it's not the "Morrissey, Morrissey, Morrissey" type but more the "Some-one Some-thing! Clap clap, clap clap clap!" variety :D ). Not that it wouldn't give me goosebumps to hear it for Morrissey (it even does when I watch the video *sigh*).

First of all, I'm ever so jealous of you all, I've never been to a Moz concert. :( I have a silly question about the chanting, though: isn't it a part of every gig in the UK, US etc.? People always bring it up as one of the things that make Moz gigs special, but here in Israel it's very common to chant at bands (except it's not the "Morrissey, Morrissey, Morrissey" type but more the "Some-one Some-thing! Clap clap, clap clap clap!" variety :D ). Not that it wouldn't give me goosebumps to hear it for Morrissey (it even does when I watch the video *sigh*).

Yeah, I would imagine most gigs have the crowd chant the bands/artists name - but it wouldn't be as special as chanting Morrissey's name.

I am not biased, honest.:)

Well, I hope you enjoy it, I attended my first gigs earlier this year and I was like:eek: :eek: :eek: IT'S ACTUALLY HIM, the crowd goes mad which is great especially when the lager starts flying, he is a man who really seems to enter into the spirit of things and when I went he seemed to enjoy teasing the crowd. I hope he still opens with, "First of the Gang To Die" it really gets the crowd going and I'm hoping for some more Smiths suprises. All being well I will attend the gig on the 22nd. Have fun xx.

I was a first timer on this tour as well. It is a lovely moment when you see him in the flesh for the very first time so I hope you enjoy it.
I will be going to Manchester in December, I can't decide whether to go on Friday or Saturday though.

Regarding the chanting; there has been very few gigs I've been to that have football style chants. Most just have cheering and clapping trying to get the band out for an encore. The Morrissey chanting is very special and chilling.

He also loves a grand entrance, one of the highlights of Moz shows is the build up to him coming on stage. The scouse list in 2004 was very productive, but I really loved this year with 'Such a Pretty' being played along with the light displays. I hope that is continued - or bettered (is it possible?) - for the Manchester shows.

I was a first timer on this tour as well. It is a lovely moment when you see him in the flesh for the very first time so I hope you enjoy it.
I will be going to Manchester in December, I can't decide whether to go on Friday or Saturday though.

Hopefully I'll go to both. It's such a long way to Manchester (and pricey too) that I struggle to justify all that expense for one gig - two on the other hand is a different matter :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom