Any advice for someone who's going to their first concert?

I know exactly what you're talking about! I guess that's why I found it so amazing... I didn't see the film (I was too young and easily bored when it was shown on telly :rolleyes: ) but I read the book some years ago. It's a fascinating topic. However, I don't like Venice too much I'm afraid... :o

I saw the film on TV last year, it was on in the middle of the night which seemed to aid my appreciation for it somehow, I just kinda watched it in a half dazed state! I don't think it's many people's cup of tea it seems, my dad saw some of it and made some crack of being able to see why it was called death in venice- dying of boredom! Such appreciation! I bought the book of it as well and was able to gain a new enjoyment through that.

I saw the film on TV last year, it was on in the middle of the night which seemed to aid my appreciation for it somehow, I just kinda watched it in a half dazed state! I don't think it's many people's cup of tea it seems, my dad saw some of it and made some crack of being able to see why it was called death in venice- dying of boredom! Such appreciation! I bought the book of it as well and was able to gain a new enjoyment through that.

I can't watch any Visctonti's films on TV/VHS/DVD because they are meant to be watched in cinema.
Visconti is almost a religion to me.
I had few occasions to watch "Death in Venice" on TV, but I managed to avoid. Actually it took me almost twenty years to watch it in cinema and it was the best way to watch and appreciate it.
BTW Your father reminds me of my mother who prefers to watch banal average stuff on TV.:o

Absorb each and every detail of it...it will capture you and you will be entangled in that memory for the rest of your life...

HAVE A GREAT TIME! ;)

just have a great time! like someone else said don't try to spend ages taking photos or recording it on a camera phone - they probably won't turn out that great and it's better to just store it in your head. they'll be better, professinal photos on the internet somewhere anyway

I can't watch any Visctonti's films on TV/VHS/DVD because they are meant to be watched in cinema.
Visconti is almost a religion to me.
I had few occasions to watch "Death in Venice" on TV, but I managed to avoid. Actually it took me almost twenty years to watch it in cinema and it was the best way to watch and appreciate it.
BTW Your father reminds me of my mother who prefers to watch banal average stuff on TV.:o

Yeah, I think watching it on TV is probably doing it a big disservice, but I didn't really know what I was watching the first time round, I was transfixed after the first thirty minutes. I was reading about the film premiere in Italy it received at the time and it sounds like the atmosphere in the cinema was over-whelming, and how people were applauding it at the end. It would be quite wonderful to see it in that way but I don't think that will happen! Are there any other Visconti films you could recommend me?
My dad has a very short attention span it has to be said!

Try not to sing along to everything word for word, I did that years ago and went home realising I hadn't heard him sing, just my own racket!
Take a moment to stand still, listen, watch, feel and prepared to be amazed.
Hope you have a great time newbie!

Thanks lux girl, I don't even know all the words to everything yet, so I'm safe there! Good advice though! :p

Try not to sing along to everything word for word, I did that years ago and went home realising I hadn't heard him sing, just my own racket!
Take a moment to stand still, listen, watch, feel and prepared to be amazed.
Hope you have a great time newbie!

I find it really hard not to sing along. I try not to, but it's very difficult!

Firstly, don't call them concerts; call them shows. People who call them "concerts" only go to big name acts in huge stadium arenas, and only go to 1 or 2 a year (the amateur). People who call live performances "shows" typically go to smaller venues to see more obscure acts, and go to many a year (the sophisticate).

Secondly, bring earplugs to every show you go to. So you can still enjoy Moz's music when you're 60.

Yeah, I think watching it on TV is probably doing it a big disservice, but I didn't really know what I was watching the first time round, I was transfixed after the first thirty minutes. I was reading about the film premiere in Italy it received at the time and it sounds like the atmosphere in the cinema was over-whelming, and how people were applauding it at the end. It would be quite wonderful to see it in that way but I don't think that will happen! Are there any other Visconti films you could recommend me?
My dad has a very short attention span it has to be said!

Sorry to hijack the thread.;)
Visconti made many wonderful films and I'd recommend you to watch "The Leopard", "Senso", "Rocco and His Brothers", "The Damned" and "Ludwig".
When I first watched his film "The Conversation Piece" I was totally mesmarized by its dark mysterious beauty and thrilled to discover the unknown territory of life.
"The Leopard" is undoubtedly his masterpiece and recently restored. It isn't hard to get hold a DVD. The acting is superb, especially Burt Lancaster you'd never imagined that he could play an ageing aristcrat. Whole atomsphere is authentic-Visconti was notorious of being a perfectionist.
Almost all of Visconti's films have very tragic ending, but he shot them very beautifully and it's quite understandable. I hope you'll appreciate them.:)

Don't take any pills shaped like hearts. Bad!

and don't drink too much alcohol, lol! I don't understand it when i see people who are completely p*ssed when i go to gigs, some can barely keep conscious they've had so much to drink - they paid all that money for a ticket then spent as much again on drink then in the morning their not going to be able to remember a single thing about the gig :confused:

My tip would be not to look at this site before going and especially checking the set list of earlier shows. That way you will not know what is coming next. If you read these before you go, the set can be a little predictable. My best Moz concerts pre 04 were before I knew about this site. Once I found this I couldn't help but look and I am sure i will do so again. Imagine being at a gig in 04 not knowing about previous set lists and hearing the band start up How soon is now or Bigmouth and not having a clue they were coming. I think it would have been the same at his last uk concert this year when he opened with panic.

enjoy!

i think the 'physical' nature of the gigs is a bit over emphasised, for the first song it is quite mental (esp. if first of the gang). so if you're thinking during the first song 'im not sure i can cope' just try to stick it out, it does quieten down.

Also it just depends who your standing next to. luckily most moz fans are quite sound so you don't get too many elbows in ribs, but if you do get a elbow happy tosser just try to ignore it and concentrate on moz's beautiful face

and don't drink too much alcohol

Definitely don't drink! Drinking loads of alcohol will make you need to pee loads and the worst thing to spend a gig doing is traipsing to and from the loo. (Happened to me last weekend!)

Thank you Spineless Swine for telling me about the fans. Good to know. I wasn't sure what to expect in that area. By the way, how can I get a larger copy of your avatar, I love that picture! :)

About drinking - I don't drink alcohol AT ALL, so I don't need to worry about that. It's something that puzzles me as well... and makes it hell for other people. A person I know told me about a show he went to, had a seat, sat next to a guy who was so drunk he was ASLEEP thru the entire show (very big and loud venue), and at the very end, he woke up just for a second to throw up all over himself and people near him. What is the point of paying for a ticket, he could have gotten drunk at home and watched something on the telly, as it obviously didn't make the slightest difference to him where he was...

But I digress, alcohol is out of the question. :)

Imagine being at a gig in 04 not knowing about previous set lists and hearing the band start up How soon is now or Bigmouth and not having a clue they were coming. I think it would have been the same at his last uk concert this year when he opened with panic.

enjoy!

that was exactly what happened the first time i saw morrissey at leeds festival 2004. i'll never forget that moment when i realised, oh my god they are actually playing HSIN!! i don't think most people there were expecting it as it had only been played once before at the reading leg the day before. and i was there as well for the palladium on the 28th when he opened with panic :D

Like I said on another thread, I don't bother going to the front cos I can't be bothered with all the queuing and waiting :rolleyes: :)

I turn up at 9ish, grab a pint or a nice G&T and go as far forward as I can without shoving into anyone or without ending up spending the whole gig squashed in like a sardine

I'm not bothering with a camera again cos you couldn't make anything out of the photos! Just wait and in the following days and weeks, people will post really good quality photos, sound clips and video clips on here and on youtube

ENJOY!!! 3rd May this year was my first ever Morrissey gig and I nearly. Fooking. DIED :D

Back
Top Bottom