anybody know anything about banks?

bagface

i was charged twice recently for going under. i'm really confused about both though. the first one came right after i deposited 100+ dollars. what i think might have happened is i bought some stuff before the check cleared or something? but i wasn't aware at all because i just deposited money. i withdrew 70 dollars from an atm and when i checked my balance i had 90 some dollars. then a few days later it said i went under again. so the charge for the first one must have put me under again. if i go and talk to somebody is there a chance they would drop the second charge since it's their fault that i went under the second time? does anybody know what i'm saying? thanks in advance.

You might be able to get both overdrafts removed. They held your funds on the first deposit so they were not immediately available. Because of this it's a good idea to make deposits in the bank instead of at the ATM. In that case the funds would have been immediately available.

If you are polite with the teller or manager, and you haven't made a habit of this, they will likely remove the second charge. They might remove both. Also, I have had good luck calling the number provided for 24 hour banking. Sometimes these people are easier to get a refund from than the people at your local branch if you have the right attitude and a good story.

According to consumer advocate Clark Howard (http://clarkhoward.com/) many banks, especially the "large" ones, have computer programs set up to make the most money in the way of "fees" (overdraft, etc.) They supposedly calculate out which charges to post to your account first to maximize fees charged against you and then apply any credits, deposits to your account.

He suggests having an account at a small local bank, rather than the big ones that seem to have the problems.

Good luck with your situation.

thank you dave and seeker. yeah, i figured they would just say tough luck at least we're making a ton of money off of you. but i guess it's worth a shot.

Lots of banks love to re-order transactions - processing higher value ones before lower value ones.

I've been victim of Wachovia's transaction reordering too many times, as far as being charged with $300 in overdraft fees.

If you fight hard enough, or complain enough to someone's supervisor, you can probably get them removed.

its always best to go in and talk to someone, i've had charges removed due to them being applied when a previous charge has taken me overdrawn.

Good luck in getting your fees removed. I was onced charged $340 in fees, even though my bank failed to notify me that I was overdrawn. It was my fault for being overdrawn (I should have balanced my checkbook better), but not notify me just so my fees would stack pissed me off to say the least.

Bank overdraft fees to total $38.5 billion

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- U.S. banks will collect a record $38.5 billion in overdraft fees this year, with nearly all the revenue paid by just 10% of customers, according to a research report released Monday.

The windfall is nearly double the $19.9 billion collected in 2000, as overdraft fees drift higher despite the recession, said Mike Moebs, chief executive of research company Moebs Services.

"Overdrafts are the mother lode of all service-related charges, and they're often the only source of capital," Moebs said. "Still, we had never seen fees go higher in any recession until now."

And I'm pretty sure at least $1 billion is from me alone. :angry:

Good luck in getting your fees removed. I was onced charged $340 in fees, even though my bank failed to notify me that I was overdrawn. It was my fault for being overdrawn (I should have balanced my checkbook better), but not notify me just so my fees would stack pissed me off to say the least.

Yeah.. this same kind of thing happened to me but it was only $36.

I made two purchases with my Debit/Check Visa card.
There was not enough money in the account to cover either purchase and was hit twice with an $18 over the limit fee. They approved the transactions and then penalized me. They should have declined the transactions and not allowed me to go over.

I called and tried to get them (Bank of America) to work with me but they refused to refund my money.

so since i made the first post i had actually been charged like 200 dollars more. i had to go to three different branches before i had most of the charges reversed. i won't even go in to how big of a bitch the manager at the second one was...:head-smack:

Back
Top Bottom