Article: Johnny Marr on why Morrissey might be ‘selling the both of us short’; to collect "Godlike G

Re: Johnny Marr on why Morrissey might be ‘selling the both of us short’

Also, that McCartney session he talks about, does anyone know if tapes exist? I'm not a big McCartney fan but I think that would sound mega.

Re: Johnny Marr on why Morrissey might be ‘selling the both of us short’

An interview I noticed today, in which, "Johnny Marr discusses his time with Paul McCartney, how he has adapted to being a frontman, and why Morrissey might be ‘selling the both of us short’."

Thought someone, somewhere, might be interested.

Johnny Marr: "The Messenger" Interview

One of his best interviews - what a truly great person!
Thanks for posting.

An interview I noticed today, in which, "Johnny Marr discusses his time with Paul McCartney, how he has adapted to being a frontman, and why Morrissey might be ‘selling the both of us short’."

Thought someone, somewhere, might be interested.

Johnny Marr: "The Messenger" Interview

Excerpt:

What was that session intended to achieve?
I think he was just sort of checking me out, because he’d liked what I’d done. The Smiths had asked Linda to play and sing on The Queen Is Dead album, which sadly she wasn’t able to, so he was aware of us. I think he liked the way I played, so that was cool.

You didn’t get to jam on any Smiths tracks with him, then?
Nah. I don’t think either of us would’ve been bothered about that.

Morrissey is on record as saying that The Smiths had the best of the both of you. I wonder how you feel about that as you sit here promoting The Messenger.
Well, he’s entitled to his opinion. People feel differently about everything. That’s probably quite a considered opinion on his part, so I’m not going to disagree with his right to say or believe whatever he wants. If that’s his opinion, then that’s fine, but I’ve done a lot since then and I think there’s a lot of songs that both of us have done outside of the band that are pretty good. So I think he’s selling the both of us short there.

Are there songs of his that you particularly like?
Erm, I don’t really want to get into that to be honest, because it’ll just be all over the internet like some silly rash.

Link posted by MORRIZSEY (original post):

Johnny Marr to collect Godlike Genius prize at NME Awards 2013 - NME.com
Iconic guitarist to be handed highest honour at February 27 ceremony

Last edited by a moderator:
There was an excellent opportunity for a great follow-up question that wasn't taken. Marr says they both did things outsid of The Smiths that were "pretty good"... I'd love to hear what specific solo songs he thought were "pretty good" and if he follows Moz's solo career at all. I've always been curious about what Marr thinks of Moz's solo work.

Re: Article: Johnny Marr on why Morrissey might be ‘selling the both of us short’; to

There was an excellent opportunity for a great follow-up question that wasn't taken. Marr says they both did things outsid of The Smiths that were "pretty good"... I'd love to hear what specific solo songs he thought were "pretty good" and if he follows Moz's solo career at all. I've always been curious about what Marr thinks of Moz's solo work.

Well, he did ask this question:

Erm, I don’t really want to get into that to be honest, because it’ll just be all over the internet like some silly rash.

Re: Article: Johnny Marr on why Morrissey might be ‘selling the both of us short’; to

Missed that part. I added it to the excerpt in the article.

Well, he did ask this question:

He has mentioned that he liked ouija board but not sure of any others.
I can think of a better question I would love to ask Johnny Marr. . . . . . . Johnny how do you feel and what thoughts go through your head when you hear Boz, Jessie and the current Twangers murdering your previous masterpieces live ?

we'll let you know

You've really got to admire Johnny at the moment. He's in such a positive frame of mind, Healthy (not a dig at Morrissey there. Moz can't help what's happened). New album being released. Held in high regard by so many. Keeping his own standards. He's answered that difficult question very efficiently and tactfully. He's enjoying the interviews but really just wanting to get the album out there and let it be played and enjoyed by many. I haven't paid the greatest attention to Johnny's career after The Smiths, but Iwill be buying his album. What I've heard I really like.

I wish any artist would have the courage to say "No, this isn't my best album, but it is still very good."

Even though Morrissey said "The Smiths had the best of us," he always says his latest album is his best, like he's fooling anyone.

Both Morrissey's and Marr's new material are equally atrocious.

Moz is definitely selling himself short- not so much Johnny.

A true artist doesn't think that way IMO. And it's also not a paradox for them to say their current work is their best while accepting that their previous works are held in higher esteem.
That's because the current work(s) (e.g. Morrissey's last three albums) reflect where they are in their life now, not 20 or 30 years ago.
There is a business angle, obviously, but does it really affect sales if a singer says of their own album "This is my best one yet"? Not really...

I wish any artist would have the courage to say "No, this isn't my best album, but it is still very good."

Even though Morrissey said "The Smiths had the best of us," he always says his latest album is his best, like he's fooling anyone.

Sad son,

I know Johnny liked "Everyday Is Like Sunday". He made a remark years ago about it.

I too would also like to know what Johnny thinks of Jesse Tobias sonically raping, then mutilating and finally murdering his original Smiths guitar parts.

We'll let you know.

Neil Hannon said something to this effect of The Divine Comedy's last release.

I always wanted to know what Johnny thought about those sessions. I can't believe that they'd played 'things we said today'! :guitar:

Thank you for sharing this!:thumb:

I wonder what the session was testing him for? Live act? Album sessions? And who made the decision to end up not working together? I don't see how if you're Paul how you'd turn down Johnny and vice versa.

And Johnny is semi-right about Moz selling themselves short to say all the best work was in the Smiths. The The -Dusk has a couple of amazing Smiths level tracks. The first Electronic album while not a classic, is very solid; same story with Modest Mouse and The Cribs. Though the other Electronic albums and the Healers's album were god awful. And we all know Morrissey's solo work's ups and downs. But as a whole package, yes The Smiths were the best band either of them was in. I find even with songs I am not a fan of there is at least one likable moment whether it's a Mozzer turn of phrase or an interesting riff.

It's great how Johnny responds to the question of singing Smith songs. He freely admits that if his voice, during the upcoming concert tour , can not handle certain songs sections as good as Moz would have song them. then his 2nd guitarist will step in to help. We all know how people love to bash Johnny's voice, find great pleasure in comparing the two then ripping Marr for coming up short. So sad when when we should just enjoy the sound. Thankful both still find such glee in doing Smith songs for the 20, 30 or 75th time.
Auto-Saved

Sad son,

I know Johnny liked "Everyday Is Like Sunday". He made a remark years ago about it.

I too would also like to know what Johnny thinks of Jesse Tobias sonically raping, then mutilating and finally murdering his original Smiths guitar parts.

We'll let you know.

You fool,

Mister Tobias is fantastic guitar player.

we'll let you know

So when Johnny mentioned a silly rash, just what websites was he possibly referring to? (I note that sillyrash.com is still available.)

You fool,

Mister Tobias is fantastic guitar player.

we'll let you know

April fool

"Mister Tobias is fantastic guitar player." This would be correct if he was in band that suites his style of heavy metal like. . . . . . . . .erm !! Motorhead or Bad News or Slipknot.

we'll let you know

"Now a life of leisure,
And a pirate's treasure,
Don't make much for tragedy."

- Bruce Springsteen

Tags
interview johnny marr paul mccartney the messenger

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom