Article: Margaret Thatcher dead: Morrissey blasts former PM as "barbaric" just hours after her death

UPDATE 1:00 PM PT:

CrystalGeezer posted "It's been suggested this is a mashup of quotes from an old Loaded Magazine article." and !Viva Hate! posted a scan of the Loaded article in the comments.

MORRIZSEY also sends a link to the RollingStone article, which credits the original article at The Daily Beast:

Morrissey: 'Thatcher Was a Terror Without an Atom of Humanity' - The Daily Beast
by Morrissey Apr 8, 2013 1:59 PM EDT
Singer Morrissey, of the seminal 1980s band The Smiths, reacts to news of the death of former U.K. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

UPDATE 8:15 PM PT:

MORRIZSEY also notes the tweet from Lauren Papapietro (Susan Blond agency):

Lauren Papapietro
@laurnpapapietro - 12:21 PM - 8 Apr 13
#Morrissey comments on the passing of #margaretthatcher "...Thatcher was a terror without an atom of humanity" http://t.co/p99twdWnwz

Margaret Thatcher dead: Morrissey blasts former PM as "barbaric" just hours after her death is announced - Mirror Online
8 Apr 2013 19:36
The musician has been a long-time critic of the former Prime Minister

Outspoken Morrissey tonight blasted Margaret Thatcher as "barbaric" and someone "without an atom of humanity".

The musician has been a long-time critic of the former Prime Minister and aired his views in songs like Margaret On The Guillotine.

Tonight, just hours after her death, he released a strongly-worded statement slamming the former Tory politician.

he said: "Thatcher is remembered as The Iron Lady only because she possessed completely negative traits such as persistent stubbornness and a determined refusal to listen to others.

"Every move she made was charged by negativity; she destroyed the British manufacturing industry, she hated the miners, she hated the arts, she hated the Irish Freedom Fighters and allowed them to die, she hated the English poor and did nothing at all to help them, she hated Greenpeace and environmental protectionists, she was the only European political leader who opposed a ban on the Ivory Trade, she had no wit and no warmth and even her own Cabinet booted her out."

Morrissey, whose first Smiths single Hand In Glove was released a month before Baroness Thatcher won her second term of office as Prime Minister in 1983, was highly critical of her role in the Falklands War.

He said: "She gave the order to blow up The Belgrano even though it was outside of the Malvinas Exclusion Zone - and was sailing AWAY from the islands.

"When the young Argentinean boys aboard The Belgrano had suffered a most appalling and unjust death, Thatcher gave the thumbs up sign for the British press. Iron? No. Barbaric? Yes.

"She hated feminists even though it was largely due to the progression of the women's movement that the British people allowed themselves to accept that a Prime Minister could actually be female. But because of Thatcher, there will never again be another woman in power in British politics, and rather than opening that particular door for other women, she closed it.

Outspoken Morrissey, who recently cancelled a series of shows due to ill health, went on: "Thatcher will only be fondly remembered by sentimentalists who did not suffer under her leadership, but the majority of British working people have forgotten her already, and the people of Argentina will be celebrating her death.

"As a matter of recorded fact, Thatcher was a terror without an atom of humanity," he added.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Margaret Thatcher dead: Morrissey blasts former PM as "barbaric" just ho

You are sadly mistaken on so many levels. Firstly, you imply that gays should consider themselves lucky to be included in the arts, media, education, and politics, as if they are some subspecies that have lesser rights than other human beings. Ten percent of the population is gay, the same ratio as left-handed people and those who have green eyes. Should we restrict the rights of these people as well? In fact, the figures would probably be higher except that hate-filled, narrow-minded people such as you make it nearly impossible to be forthcoming about personal choices concerning sexuality. Secondly, no one should be forced to be public about their sexual preferences because it is a completely private matter. Morrissey should never have been asked this line of questioning as it has no relevance to his art. If an average citizen were asked about his or her sexual habits by a complete stranger, there would be a completely bloody, beaten down stranger lying in the gutter; it is an intrusive and rude line of inquiry. Next, if someone wants to adopt a child, sell eggs, cross dress, or worship Morrissey, how is it any of your concern? It sounds as if you are transferring your own feelings of confusion and inadequacy to others. As long as people are making their own choices and no one else is harmed, then it is no one else's business. It sounds as though you have had a difficult life, and for that I am sorry; but, I imagine that to be the case for many here. That is why we connect with Morrissey; he articulates the darkest moments of life and the most difficult emotions in the most moving and poetic way (I know, I know, People are the Same Everywhere sucks giant dick, it's done, move on!). Many of us would love to scream these feelings aloud, but we cannot or will not, so we look to him to give us a voice. You say that Morrissey isn't the "most feeling" person; I would strongly contest that statement. He seems to feel things more intensely than most; it is what has perpetuated his work and what compels him to make so many public statements on current issues. I may not always agree with his perspective, but I believe that he is genuine in his statements and I defend his right to make them. If you are offended by his comments, his views, or his lifestyle, then perhaps you should stop following him. As for his response to Margaret Dale's passing, he simply stated that if she was in such agony in life, maybe she will be at peace in death. More importantly, how many famous people would even notice that one of their followers was gone, let alone take the time to publicly address the matter? Next, PETA is frequently maligned by corporate executives who fear that they will be forced to make profit diminishing changes. It may not be a perfect organization, but I would trust statements from PETA more than I would trust the words of a McDonald's representative. Let me make this perfectly clear, I am not gay, not there is anything wrong with that, and I have two children conceived the traditional way as opposed to alternative methods, not that there is anything wrong with that; so, I have no vested interest in attacking your post other than that, as a mother, as a human being, I find this compulsion to label and judge other people whom you know nothing about extremely hateful and harmful. Yes, I am one of those rabidly devoted Morrissey fans, and let me state that I graduated from university at the top of my class with a nearly perfect 4.0, and I did not have to f*** anyone to accomplish that. In the future, if you choose to throw down the gauntlet concerning intellectual debate, try using better sentence structure. I am finished with my response to your marginalizing comments; I think that I will go out and sell one of my left-handed children to the first rich gay man I can find roaming the street in a lovely frock. Where the hell do you live anyway?

Lynnda, not anonymous
People for the Ethical Treatment of Morrissey

I'd be willing to be a sizable sum that the majority of posters here have skipped over your post due to the structure of your writing rather than its content.

Try breaking up your thoughts into paragraphs. Nobody can read all that ^^^ without pausing for air. Let your words breathe... and we will read.

Re: Article: Margaret Thatcher dead: Morrissey blasts former PM as "barbaric" just ho

I think "thick turd" is my new favorite insult. :sweet:

thanks for yet another essential contribution to this thread about Margaret Thatcher. isn't it that time of day when you read your Tarot cards?

I'd be willing to be a sizable sum that the majority of posters here have skipped over your post due to the structure of your writing rather than its content.

Try breaking up your thoughts into paragraphs. Nobody can read all that ^^^ without pausing for air. Let your words breathe... and we will read.

thanks for 'speaking on behalf of the Moz-solo community'. I have to do this stuff all the time, breaking in interns and Suckretaries, why don't you ask DavidT for a special dispensation to proof-read and reformat posts that displease you grammatically 'on behalf of the community' so that 'we' can benefit from 'your' hauteur? It would keep you busy ans stop you posting your irrelevant Yank resident musings on this Brit-tastic thread. OR you could just, y'know, do another fascinating blog post. *rollseyes*

Otherwise they'd be wondering why Jimmy Savile spent 11 consecutive New Years Eve's with our loveable Margaret and her docile Dennis

Bingo! Bullseye! Yet she NEVER got a briefing from the Police or MI5/MI6 about the proclivities of this Papal/Royal Knight? Never was he screened as a security risk to the Prime Minister? Ted Heath was monitored sucking cocks in public toilets all over London but no-one noticed Savile was shagging kids and corpses? I...think...her....'legacy'...will..NOT!..be what the Daily Fail and Torygraph think!

Bingo! Bullseye! Yet she NEVER got a briefing from the Police or MI5/MI6 about the proclivities of this Papal/Royal Knight? Never was he screened as a security risk to the Prime Minister? Ted Heath was monitored sucking cocks in public toilets all over London but no-one noticed Savile was shagging kids and corpses? I...think...her....'legacy'...will..NOT!..be what the Daily Fail and Torygraph think!

Once again, spectacularly missing the point. There were no briefings simply because they were conveniently "lost" by those in the police and intelligence services who were involved in the same/similar activities and couldn't risk the opening of this can of worms.

Can't wait to hear your theories on 9/11, 7/7, the Moon Landing and the Kennedy Assassination...

Just want to say I find your posts on this subject, well-written, well-referenced, insightful and entertaining.

P.

You are sadly misinformed on so many levels; I do not know where to begin. Firstly, you imply that gays should feel lucky to be permitted to be involved in politics, the arts, education, and the media. TEN % OF THE POPULATION IS GAY; THAT IS THE SAME RATIO AS LEFT-HANDED PEOPLE OR PEOPLE WITH GREEN EYES.SHOULD WE PREVENT THESE PEOPLE FROM GETTING MARRIED OR HAVING CHILDREN, AS WELL? In fact, that percentage is probably underestimated because narrow-minded, hate-filled people like you make it difficult for some people to be forthcoming about their choices. Secondly, no one has to be forthcoming about their sexual preferences because it is a personal matter. Morrissey should never have been asked this question because it has no relevance to his art. If anyone who is not in the public eye were asked these questions by a complete stranger, there would be a completely bloody, beaten down stranger lying in the gutter. No one would stand for that sort of intrusive inquiry. Additionally, many of Morrissey's lyrics are open to interpretation. Teenage girls are also the prey of charming men offering rides. So, if you are hearing only homosexual connotations, then maybe you need to do some self-reflection. Next, if people want to sell their eggs, cross-dress, adopt a child, or worship Morrissey, how is it any of your business? You seem to be transferring your own feelings of inadequacy to others. On to the next topic. Morrissey expressed his sadness at hearing the news of Margaret Dale's passing. He merely stated that if she was in such agony in life, then maybe she will be at peace now. How many other famous people would even bother to notice that one follower was gone? As for PETA, information is constantly manipulated in order to discredit the organization because they aggravate people who head wealthy corporations that totally disregard the suffering of animals just so they can maintain a set profit margin. Who has greater reason to lie, PETA or the McDonald's corporation? I am sorry that your life was difficult, but I would have to imagine that this is the case for many people here. That is why we feel a a connection to Morrissey; he articulates the darkest moments of life, the most painful emotions, things we would all like to scream about but just cannot seem to find the right words to do so; he finds those words and gives many of us a voice. How can you say that he is not the most "feeling person"? He feels things more intensely than most, and he has the talent to articulate those feelings in a beautifully poetic manner (I know, I know, People are the Same Everywhere sucks a giant dick;it's done and over, move on.) If you do not appreciate his work, his comments, his delicate mannerisms, then do not follow him. Spare yourself, and us. So let's be perfectly clear: I am not gay, not that there is anything wrong with that; I have two children that were conceived traditionally as opposed to being conceived by alternative means, not that there is anything wrong with that; so I have no vested interest in disputing your post, other than the fact that as a mother, as a human being, I find labeling and evaluating people that you do not know to be extremely harmful and hateful. Finally, I am a rabid Morrissey fan who graduated from university with a near perfect 4.0, and I assure you that I did not have to f*** anyone to accomplish that. If you want to throw down the gaunlet in a war of words, try using better sentence structure. Now that I have finished with you, I think that I will go sell one of my left-handed children to the first rich gay man I can find on the street.

Lynnda, not anonymous
People for the Ethical Treatment of Morrissey

Whatever you got that 4.0 (I assume it as a mark and a good one) for, it was obviously not for text comprehension and international communication.

What you produce is just putting PETA and Morrissey fan 101 text blocks together.

YOU, lady, are projecting a lot.

I have never had any feelings of inadequacy. You are interpreting something into what I wrote that isn't there and that was never ever written. I lived a very happy life actually, and the people who participated in what I mentioned earlier accepted fully that I didn't. The enounter with Morrissey fans like you made me realize HOW blessed I had been with the people that I was surrounded by. I just went along with them as much as I wanted and that was all right. I just blocked the rest out and when I fell in love, I educated myself on the sex I wanted to have and have continued to live a very happy life since. And when I felt unhappy at Morrissey concerts, I stopped going. And when I felt unhappy listening to Morrissey's music, I stopped listening. And when I didn't feel well interacting with his moronic fans, I stopped, because I learned that there will never be anybody amongst them whom I'd remotely want as a "friend". PETA is definitly not doing a good job in protecting animals. It is most obvious that it is more a PR tool for the people involved than actually helping animals as such. I will stop here, because of your severe mental handicap. I don't want to the one to blaim that your brain would eventually explode because you were exposed to too much new information.

thanks for 'speaking on behalf of the Moz-solo community'. I have to do this stuff all the time, breaking in interns and Suckretaries, why don't you ask DavidT for a special dispensation to proof-read and reformat posts that displease you grammatically 'on behalf of the community' so that 'we' can benefit from 'your' hauteur?

Always the drama queen!

It would keep you busy ans stop you posting your irrelevant Yank resident musings on this Brit-tastic thread. OR you could just, y'know, do another fascinating blog post. *rollseyes*

There are plenty of Yanks (a pejorative term, btw) who know quite a bit about Thatcher's Britain. I'm just not one of them. But, just because you shine on this thread doesn't mean you don't appear dull on the rest of the site.

thanks for yet another essential contribution to this thread about Margaret Thatcher. isn't it that time of day when you read your Tarot cards?

Don't be a thick turd. You guys are the hard hitting documentary on British Politics and I'm the cute commercial about toilet paper where the cartoon bear has bogroll stuck to his bum. (Did I say that right?) We all have our part.

Whatever you got that 4.0 (I assume it as a mark and a good one) for, it was obviously not for text comprehension and international communication.

What you produce is just putting PETA and Morrissey fan 101 text blocks together.

YOU, lady, are projecting a lot.

I have never had any feelings of inadequacy. You are interpreting something into what I wrote that isn't there and that was never ever written. I lived a very happy life actually, and the people who participated in what I mentioned earlier accepted fully that I didn't. The enounter with Morrissey fans like you made me realize HOW blessed I had been with the people that I was surrounded by. I just went along with them as much as I wanted and that was all right. I just blocked the rest out and when I fell in love, I educated myself on the sex I wanted to have and have continued to live a very happy life since. And when I felt unhappy at Morrissey concerts, I stopped going. And when I felt unhappy listening to Morrissey's music, I stopped listening. And when I didn't feel well interacting with his moronic fans, I stopped, because I learned that there will never be anybody amongst them whom I'd remotely want as a "friend". PETA is definitly not doing a good job in protecting animals. It is most obvious that it is more a PR tool for the people involved than actually helping animals as such. I will stop here, because of your severe mental handicap. I don't want to the one to blaim that your brain would eventually explode because you were exposed to too much new information.

I have absolutely no problem evaluating new information or theories; you,on the other hand have demonstrated a narrow-mindedness indicated by your homophobic comments and attacks on the chosen lifestyles of others, which is completely not your business. If you are that secure in your own life, why attack someone else? If I have miscontrued your meaning in some way, I apologize; but perhaps you should write more clearly and effectively. I have to ask: if you have had an epiphany and realized that you were unhappy with Morrissey's music, his concerts, and his fans, WHY ARE YOU HERE?

I appreciate the suggestion,although I was not looking for any validation concerning my writing style, no expectation of a Pulitzer or a gold star on my paper. I just felt compelled to respond to what I perceived as comments that were extremely subjective and hateful. I stand by both my content and structure, but I will strive for brevity in the future.

that's a really honest, heartfelt defence of why people still stay in the lifeboat with Moz. I hope it reaches the shore.

Thankfully, I live just a few miles from the shoreline, so I am already docked, yet still seasick. Metaphorically speaking, I would rather have Morrissey sitting next to me on my journey than be sadly drifting alone.

I appreciate the suggestion,although I was not looking for any validation concerning my writing style, no expectation of a Pulitzer or a gold star on my paper. I just felt compelled to respond to what I perceived as comments that were extremely subjective and hateful. I stand by both my content and structure, but I will strive for brevity in the future.

What you wrote was well written and insightful. And length was not an issue. My concern--objection--was there were no paragraph breaks. People are lazy and/or short on time and/or attention. They will pass on your post for such a seemingly simple reason. And I think what you had to say is important and hopefully you do as well. Wasn't trying to be an ass. Just offering a suggestion.

Thankfully, I live just a few miles from the shoreline, so I am already docked, yet still seasick. Metaphorically speaking, I would rather have Morrissey sitting next to me on my journey than be sadly drifting alone.
I'd rather have a real person next to me.

Just want to say I find your posts on this subject, well-written, well-referenced, insightful and entertaining.

P.

but...you...told..me..to...fcuk off n die...ok, my mercy rains from the sky. thanks for the compliment. i like them as much as insults and abuse. and thanks for moderating one of the funniest free speech bastions of web 2.0: let's keep it that way, folks!

Once again, spectacularly missing the point. There were no briefings simply because they were conveniently "lost" by those in the police and intelligence services who were involved in the same/similar activities and couldn't risk the opening of this can of worms.

Can't wait to hear your theories on 9/11, 7/7, the Moon Landing and the Kennedy Assassination...

you contradict yourself (yourselves if it's a group '3 mental case' effort by PM) I agree that the police and intelligence services are full of paedos and freak who facilitate others, just like the Catholic and Anglican churches and the House of Common Fraudz-yet you imagine that these facts are on a par with conspiracy theories about 9/11, 7/7, the Moon Landing and the Kennedy Assassination, none of which are relevant to the topic thread. Off topic! -1.

Thatcher probably had sex with Savile. They were both freaks, so it wouldn't surprise me. Does this make me a conspiracy theorist or a rival to Jerry Sadowitz once I get on-mic at the comedy club this weekend?

Always the drama queen!

There are plenty of Yanks (a pejorative term, btw) who know quite a bit about Thatcher's Britain. I'm just not one of them. But, just because you shine on this thread doesn't mean you don't appear dull on the rest of the site.

Compliment noted, not that I care if you chose to insult my other 'free speech' contributions elsewhere. Drama queen? Mariah and Minaj would last 90 seconds against me and Sharon aka: Mel B. Please also note that 'Brit' is a term of abuse to many in these Isles of Wonder. I'm a Saxon Plastic Paddy from Mercia and Laois: i was born on a boat on the Irish Sea between Hollyhead and Dun Laoighaire". Now, really- I was...

'Yankee' is a historical fact, the fact that it has also become a word distorted for political effect does not negate other uses of it. If you know about Regan, you know about Thatcher: Washington Consensus. Chicago School of Economics. Milton Friedman. American and British culture is far more alike than different, that's why I have to watch Fox News, as they try to export it to Murdoch's Sky news channel here *sigh*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

ps: will shortly be joining your atheism thread as I've had a run-in with Dawkins, Hitch (RIP) over this. We were all meant to work together to crash the Papal Visit to Britain in 2010 but they were being ideologically fixated and me and Philip Pullman pulled out in protest. Peter Tatchell was pissed off with me, but I'm my own man. More later. It's a very good thread. best wishes.

Don't be a thick turd. You guys are the hard hitting documentary on British Politics and I'm the cute commercial about toilet paper where the cartoon bear has bogroll stuck to his bum. (Did I say that right?) We all have our part.

How sweet! Yes, everyone has a part to play as the Neoliberal Collapse unfolds. America is on a temporary Shale-Frack reprieve, but "this sucker's going down" Enjoy this site while it lasts, while the Internet lasts: some of us writing today will be in tarpaper shacks in 5 years. Might be me. Or I might be the Pope Of Pop-Warhol 2.0. Let's wait and see.."five years, that's all we've got"...if we're really lucky...and enjoy quilted toilet paper because it will be too expensive for most. Dock leaves they used to use in Ireland.

here in the UK, it's puppies, not bears!

https://www.andrexpuppypoints.co.uk/reward/category/25/43/?src=scroll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XGskt4-B10

Compliment noted, not that I care if you chose to insult my other 'free speech' contributions elsewhere. Drama queen? Mariah and Minaj would last 90 seconds against me and Sharon aka: Mel B. Please also note that 'Brit' is a term of abuse to many in these Isles of Wonder. I'm a Saxon Plastic Paddy from Mercia and Laois: i was born on a boat on the Irish Sea between Hollyhead and Dun Laoighaire". Now, really- I was...

'Yankee' is a historical fact, the fact that it has also become a word distorted for political effect does not negate other uses of it. If you know about Regan, you know about Thatcher: Washington Consensus. Chicago School of Economics. Milton Friedman. American and British culture is far more alike than different, that's why I have to watch Fox News, as they try to export it to Murdoch's Sky news channel here *sigh*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee

ps: will shortly be joining your atheism thread as I've had a run-in with Dawkins, Hitch (RIP) over this. We were all meant to work together to crash the Papal Visit to Britain in 2010 but they were being ideologically fixated and me and Philip Pullman pulled out in protest. Peter Tatchell was pissed off with me, but I'm my own man. More later. It's a very good thread. best wishes.

Yes, and that is the very context you are using it in. White supremacists use that same argument to justify the use of the N word.

If a word no longer holds its original meaning (and many do not) in the literate public, then CHOOSE a different word--one which clearly does describe what you mean.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom