Article: "Morrissey: Why I Think He Should Be Applauded For His Animal Rights Convictions" by Barry

Re: Article: "Morrissey: Why I Think He Should Be Applauded For His Animal Rights Convictions" by Ba

I wonder if the Cult of Morrissey is the biggest cult in the World, thousands of us. Brummie has Reality Bites, Benny The Butcher, IP hash: 31fdb5ce66, evennow and Reality Bites won over so far. Not bad, by the time he has ten thousand posts he might have converted 20 people.

Re: Article: "Morrissey: Why I Think He Should Be Applauded For His Animal Rights Convictions" by Ba

Good morning mr.cheswick,i trust you are well !!!
Charlie,when "they" are at home every hotel in the city is full !!!
Walk around town,and you could be in dublin......or oslo !!!!!
Better dead than red !!!
Take care mate,
keith.

Approaching old age ?,
children grown up,and left home ?,
loveless marriage ?,
no friends ?,
bullied whilst at school ?,
time on your hands ?,
always felt superior to mere mortals,with inferior intelligence ?,
well worry not !!!!!!!!!
Here's the website for you !!!!!!
Just log onto "morrissey solo", where you can monopolise every post with your inane,articulate ramblings !!
Guaranteed to give you a smug little smile,knowing how you have re educated the illitarate mongrels to your way of thinking......the right way !!!

Approaching old age ?,
loveless marriage ?,
no friends ?,
time on your hands ?,
well worry not !!!!!!!!!
Just log onto "morrissey solo", where you can monopolise every post with your inane,articulate ramblings !!
Guaranteed to give you a smug little smile,knowing how you have re educated the illitarate mongrels to your way of thinking......the right way !!!

that was funny and i do have a lot if time on my hands. you forgot the need for attention and the need to compete, two things i hate in life and try my best to resist. the savior complex is also pretty funny around here. its like bono is a member or something

Approaching old age ?,
loveless marriage ?,
no friends ?,
time on your hands ?,
well worry not !!!!!!!!!

"...illitarate mongrels.." thanks for that. Have a nice day:)

"...illitarate mongrels.." thanks for that. Have a nice day:)

it does make me think of the cover for world peace

Re: I win

Ah, yes! The sincerity/authenticity debate. The one that Morrissey has trolled for 3 decades plus! Your belief or doubt in my dietary principles is irrelevant. As I stated to RB, any carnivore is entitled to mock and ridicule Cheese-etarians like Morrissey and CG. Eating cheese whilst denouncing eating veal meat is the biggest wind-up imaginable. Morrissey has been winding his fans up for 30 odd years. He is certainly persistent!

So it's true: you are neither a vegetarian nor a vegan. So everyone on this site has been subjected to endless posts about the cruelty of the meat and dairy industries from folks who actively support the meat and dairy industries. What a phenomenal waste of time.

Again, I'm pleased that you sometimes find something of interest in my comments. However, that does not mean you are any authority on my comment history. As for 'breaking character', well, that would be an interesting discussion in relation to "Morrissey" as many who knew him prior to his brief dalliance with a strictly localised fame will relate. I've never claimed I was anyone other than I claimed not to be. Honestly, it sometimes seems like nobody other than Morrissey was taking notes at those early Buzzcocks shows when Howard Devoto was mapping out the template for post-modern *authenticity*.

You've alluded to some involvement in the collapsing music business, here's a delightful check-list for 'stardom' which arrived in my in-tray this morning from Bob Lefsetz. I'm sorry if this collapses CG & Charlies FBE that I do nothing but think about Morrissey all day, but it's a very useful list to use when assessing Morrissey's current and future predicaments. He based his entire entreprenurial exercise upon an assured legacy of 'stardom' but the industrial mechanics of the culture industry mean that's no longer possible. So, in his forlorn terms, he's wasted his life. Hence his recent clinging to the straws of Bracewell.

best
BB

*Stardom*

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2015/02/18/stardom/

I am intimately familiar with the mechanisms of fame, celebrity and media "stardom." I also understand the nature of fandom - how it is generated, manipulated and lost. Had you stopped at your last sensible post you would have finished ahead of the conversation. As it is you are beating several dead horses. Morrissey is a great singer with a unique persona. He almost instantly attained legendary status, but even legends - even icons - fade over time. Morrissey was able to generate a singular level of audience hysteria and maintain it for decades. He is a phenomenal singer, an (intermittently) brilliant lyricist, and one of the greatest showmen to ever tread the boards. Nothing that is said on this (or any other) website can diminish his accomplishments. Morrissey is the only one who can wreck his career (and he doesn't need much help in that department).

No one I know who is a "fan" pays as much attention to Morrissey these days as you do. You are railing against a cult in which you are certainly one of the most active members.

Good morning mr.cheswick,i trust you are well !!!
Charlie,when "they" are at home every hotel in the city is full !!!
Walk around town,and you could be in dublin......or oslo !!!!!
Better dead than red !!!
Take care mate,
keith.

Haha Keith, you can't even say "their" name.

I wonder if the Cult of Morrissey is the biggest cult in the World, thousands of us. Brummie has Reality Bites, Benny The Butcher, IP hash: 31fdb5ce66, evennow and Reality Bites won over so far. Not bad, by the time he has ten thousand posts he might have converted 20 people.

20 is all the posters here, unless you count posters like 'keith' and 'cg' and their alternate personalities as half a poster apiece.
no matter how you look at it, its not too bad.

So it's true: you are neither a vegetarian nor a vegan. So everyone on this site has been subjected to endless posts about the cruelty of the meat and dairy industries from folks who actively support the meat and dairy industries. What a phenomenal waste of time.

I am intimately familiar with the mechanisms of fame, celebrity and media "stardom." I also understand the nature of fandom - how it is generated, manipulated and lost. Had you stopped at your last sensible post you would have finished ahead of the conversation. As it is you are beating several dead horses. Morrissey is a great singer with a unique persona. He almost instantly attained legendary status, but even legends - even icons - fade over time. Morrissey was able to generate a singular level of audience hysteria and maintain it for decades. He is a phenomenal singer, an (intermittently) brilliant lyricist, and one of the greatest showmen to ever tread the boards. Nothing that is said on this (or any other) website can diminish his accomplishments. Morrissey is the only one who can wreck his career (and he doesn't need much help in that department).

No one I know who is a "fan" pays as much attention to Morrissey these days as you do. You are railing against a cult in which you are certainly one of the most active members.

its also silly to say that someone has to be perfect in order to praise them for the efforts and accomplishments. if so, we would never praise anyone ever. perspective is a good thing.

Charlie,it breaks my heart every time i have to write my address !!!!!
I hate them that much,i don't even want them to win the toss !!!!!

Just to clarify. I would hardly say that BB has "won me over". Won what? Over where? As I have stated many times in the past, I enjoy reading his posts. That is it. They are well constructed, well written, and often times quite amusing. He has a sense of humor that I get, that maybe many others don't or don't like. That is the extent of it. To use this as a definition of "winning one over", then you, RB, BB, bhops, Anethstine (sp), and many others have won me over.

Let's be clear, I am a carnivore...I enjoy eating meat, eggs and cheese. BB and others have made me more aware of the impact of the dietary choices I make, but I have a different belief system than probably many here when it comes to this aspect of life. So be it. No one will win me over in this regard. That also doesn't mean that I can't appreciate how a song like Meat is Murder could change a person's feelings on the subject. One thing BB has right is that there is an overabundance of name calling and attempted bullying on this site than reasonable discourses with those of differing opinions. These make for the most interesting reading.

It has though been suggested on this site that I might be a bad lay...and this I will neither confirm nor deny ;)

Last edited:

Just to clarify. I would hardly say that BB has "won me over". Won what? Over where? As I have stated many times in the past, I enjoy reading his posts. That is it. They are well constructed, well written, and often times quite amusing. He has a sense of humor that I get, that maybe many others don't or don't like. That is the extent of it. To use this as a definition of "winning one over", then you, RB, BB, bhops, Anethstine (sp), and many others have won me over.

Let's be clear, I am a carnivore...I enjoy eating meat, eggs and cheese. BB and others have made me more aware of the impact of the dietary choices I make, but I have a different belief system than probably many here when it comes to this aspect of life. So be it. No one will win me over in this regard. That also doesn't mean that I can't appreciate how a song like Meat is Murder could change a person's feelings on the subject. One thing BB has right is that there is an overabundance of name calling and attempted bullying on this site than reasonable discourses with those of differing opinions. These make for the most interesting reading.

It has though been suggested on this site that I might be a bad lay...and this I will neither confirm or deny ;)

My apologies buddy, that's another bit to go then. I was trying to big up his achievements. You sound like my wife, not in a girly way, more that she's steadfastly refused to stop eating all animal products. I often have to cook three dinners with my kids refusing to eat what either of us have.

My apologies buddy, that's another bit to go then. I was trying to big up his achievements. You sound like my wife, not in a girly way, more that she's steadfastly refused to stop eating all animal products. I often have to cook three dinners with my kids refusing to eat what either of us have.

No problem at all Charlie. It must be something to have to live with someone who does not hold the same opinion as you. The one thing I will say is that I can fully understand how the smell of cooking meat could be be very off-putting to a vegetarian. Much like the smell of cigarette smoke to a non-smoker. The fact that you are willing to cook for them anyway shows the love you have for them. What a good husband and dad you are! :D

No problem at all Charlie. It must be something to have to live with someone who does not hold the same opinion as you. The one thing I will say is that I can fully understand how the smell of cooking meat could be be very off-putting to a vegetarian. Much like the smell of cigarette smoke to a non-smoker. The fact that you are willing to cook for them anyway shows the love you have for them. What a good husband and dad you are! :D

:thumb:

I think he was using me as an example of a carnivore who has the right to criticize cheese consumers. He wasn't referencing himself.

I think there is a 'cult' who likes to talk about Morrissey--which all of us here belong to. And a cult who worships the ground he walks on--which many who post here also belong to as well as those fans who never show their faces here.

No, it isn't true. I am a vegan. If you had read a representative sample of my posts you would know that I have clearly stated that. You have not read a representative sample but choose to lather me with your home-spun philosophies whilst claiming you understand my weltanschauung. It is YOU who have wasted your time and the time of anyone who has taken your breathless analysis of my posts to heart. What a phenomenal waste of time!

Your claims to an 'intimate' relationship with the mechanics of fame, celebrity and the rest of it is untestable and also irrelevant. One does not need to be part of a cultural car-crash to recognise it. Post-war fame was a product of limited technologies of sound and media reproduction and the deliberate scorched earth policies of media corporations to create artificial shortages in culture which were sold and re-sold as 'stars'.

"Morrissey is a great singer with a unique persona. He almost instantly attained legendary status, but even legends - even icons - fade over time. Morrissey was able to generate a singular level of audience hysteria and maintain it for decades. He is a phenomenal singer, an (intermittently) brilliant lyricist, and one of the greatest showmen to ever tread the boards. Nothing that is said on this (or any other) website can diminish his accomplishments."

I could re-write that paragraph with the names of Cesaria Evora, Julio Iglesias or Sabah and find endorsement for that view in Lisbon, Madrid and Cairo. You confuse your own London/NYC/LA cliques with the world. Morrissey is not famous! Madonna and Michael Jackson are famous. If he had managed his personal and business affairs with more sense he had a brief opportunity to become a global celebrity but f***ed it up. He certainly had the talent. He wrecked his career from the outset by mimicking the discarded detritus of a derelict 'fame' model based on Bowie and Bolan whilst also trying to position himself as a punk rebel. The two personas never gelled and he became a casuality of both his own tortured reading of the history of celebrity and his assumption that it would continue in a linear fashion allowing him to become and remain a 'star'. He is no such thing. The industrial production and consumption of pseudo-stars has happened even beyond Warhol's quip. He is just another also extremely talented singer with a niche cult. However, he tragically devoted his life at the outset to achieving 'global, religious fame' and failed, so all his outbursts and ravings since can be understood in that context.

The fact that you have a massive investment both in his failed career and the failed apparatus of 'fame' is challenging for you, but I couldn't care less, it certainly doesn't give you any credence to challenge my analyses without actually addressing the issues I've raised. You merely express the cult consensus of his 'fans' with your assumption that he will be remembered long after he stops singing and/or drops dead. By his cult, yes, but not by consensual reality. That process is beginning in earnest as he struggles for media coverage and resorts to ever more outlandish attempts to remain 'radical' and 'edgy'. His supposed 'instant legendary status' is laughable. You are seriously suggesting that a few covers of the NME and Melody Maker mean 'legendary'? To the self-congratulatory hipsters of the time, maybe, but most young people I know make a clear distinction between heritage acts and whilst they may enjoy How Soon Is Now and a few other tracks, the mythology of The Smiths is nothing compared to genuine 'legendary' acts such as Led Zeppelin and The Beatles.

If you bothered to read my comments (which you clearly don't) you'd see that I have frequently openly stated that Morrissey is Exhibit A for the doomed projects of Youth Rebellion and Youth Stardom. I have also lambasted other supposed 'legends' such as Leonard Cohen though not to the same extent as I chose Morrissey as the perfect example of everything that is bogus and deluded about the entire superstructure of The Pop Artist. My choice has proven to be particularly useful as he implodes upon his bonfire of vanities.

Again, I can only repeat to you that I am not a 'fan' and never have been. Not of Morrissey or anybody else. If I pay £ to purchase either a consumer commodity or live experience from a capitalist business entrepreneur such as Morrissey, the fact that I find emotional satisfaction and amusement in his ventilations doesn't make me anything more than a member of The Audience. Morrissey has turned out to be an entirely reactionary figure, demanding deference from the press, lavish promotional budgets to foist his mediocrities onto those he decries as "clueless consumers" and above all, insisting that a rigged market controlled by 4 major corporations and a handful of print titles meant that he was anything other than a lucky winner of the NME/Melody Maker Paul Morley/Ian Penman X-Factor show in early 80s Britain. How he wishes such a world of gatekeepers and taste-makers still existed to ensure he remained visible on the basis of his achingly obscure curation of culture being endorsed by equally snobbish elites.

I am not a member of The Cult Of Morrissey. I am not a 'fan' of Morrissey, though I do extract great pleasure from watching and listening to his curated fictions of 'fame'. Implicit in your claim is that singers such as Morrissey are *special* or *different* beyond the fact that he managed to briefly hijack the FMCG (fast moving consumer goods) cycle to sell his USP (unique selling point) of fake suicidalism, faux-animal rights, Johnny Rotten re-hash Republicanism and on and on. However, shows like The Voice and X-Factor show us that supremely gifted singers are not rare. Without Johnny Marr as Musical Auteur, Morrissey would never even have been able to afford the singing lessons which lifted his voice from ordinary to exemplary. You do realise how much he's worked on his technical range? Or do you assume it's some *mysterious gift*? *rollseyes*

I could expound at greater length but as you don't even read my comments before setting yourself up as an authority on their content, I'll leave it there. Other than to note that as a Vegan I would never beat any horse, dead or alive. The fact that I've picked up on your covert insult should reassure you that I am, indeed, a Vegan.

I trust this further reply is helpful to you.

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

its also silly to say that someone has to be perfect in order to praise them for the efforts and accomplishments. if so, we would never praise anyone ever. perspective is a good thing.

Nobody is being prevented from praising anybody's efforts and accomplishments.

best
BB

- - - Updated - - -

It has though been suggested on this site that I might be a bad lay...and this I will neither confirm nor deny ;)

Just to clarify. I have no desire or intention to win you over to my perspectives. Or anybody else. I am also unlikely to respond to feeble attempts to 'bully' me because of my opinions by doing anything other than LOLing. I trust this clarifies my position, but couldn't care less if it doesn't.

best
BB

Last edited:

I think he was using me as an example of a carnivore who has the right to criticize cheese consumers. He wasn't referencing himself.

I think there is a 'cult' who likes to talk about Morrissey--which all of us here belong to. And a cult who worships the ground he walks on--which many who post here also belong to as well as those fans who never show their faces here.

Correct. I wasn't referencing myself.

Incorrect. I am not part of any 'cult'. I am not a 'fan'. I am a member of the Audience. This is a web forum and, as such, is neutral. It is a vehicle for people to express views and opinions ranging from unquestioning cult adherence to Morrissey's worldview to indifference and/or ridicule from others. I am far more interested in the mechanics and dynamics of what Morrissey signposts in popular culture than I am in him as a particular human being.

best
BB

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom