Article: Slow Moving Millie's cover of "Please, Please, Please..." enters the UK Top 40 at #36; orig

At number 36!

From Music Week:

Under the guise of Slow Moving Millie, singer/actress Amelia Warner's cover of The Smiths' Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want is the fourth cover commissioned by high street chain John Lewis to make the Top 40 in two years. Ellie Goulding reached number two last November with her cover of Elton John’s Your Song, specially recorded as a bed for John Lewis’ 2010 Christmas TV campaign; Taken By Trees’ cover version of Guns N’ Roses’ Sweet Child O’ Mine - used for the Christmas 2009 campaign - reached number 23; and Guillemots singer Fyfe Dangerfield’s specially-recorded version of Billy Joel’s She’s Always A Woman To Me reached number seven in May 2010. Slow Moving Millie's Please, Please, Please... debuts at number 36 (8,878 sales) while The Smiths’ original – the flipside of 1985 single William, Is Was Really Nothing – also enters the Top 200 for the first time, at number 121 (2,322 sales).

A bit of a surprise to me, but it's a fine cover version, and good to see the original selling quite a few (digital) copies as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shelagh Delaney (25 November 1939 – 20 November 2011)

"A temperament capable of receiving, through an imaginative medium, and under imaginative conditions, new and beautiful impressions, is the only temperament that can appreciate a work of art." (Oscar Wilde)
Thank you Shelagh.
Goodbye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNuG6...eature=related

we'll let you know

A great cover of the song.Lets hope it goes up the charts even more.Brillant.

Re: Article: Slow Moving Millie's cover of "Please, Please, Please..." enters the UK

It's an average cover version of a really good song. I don't like these 'half sung' covers that have become fashionable of late. Why not use the original?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom