Article: "The Smiths -- Complete" Super Deluxe Collectors Box from Rhino, limited to 3000 (estimated

Update (July 27, 9:10AM PT):
Link is back up with additional details and images. Info on the CD and vinyl boxsets have been posted also.

24563_large.jpg

The Smiths Complete (CD Boxset), Mon 26 Sep 2011 - £34.99
The Smiths Complete (Vinyl Boxset), Mon 03 Oct 2011 - £149.99

Update (July 27, 7:35AM PT):
As noted by several in the comments section, the links to the item have been removed from the Rhino site.

Sorry if this has been talked about/posted already. I received this little nugget today from a friend, looks very interesting, but the price (£249) scares me away:

http://www.rhino.co.uk/thesmithscomplete.htm

thesmithsrhinosplashpage.jpg

Also listed in the ad are vinyl boxsets (limited to 1000) and CD boxsets

Link posted by The Seeker of Good Songs (original post):
‘The Smiths — Complete’ box set: 8 albums on vinyl, CD; plus 25 7-inch singles, DVD - Slicing Up Eyeballs

Last edited by a moderator:
THESE SUPERDELUXE EDITIONS ARE A FALSE ECOMONY they are overpriced and are full of stuff most people dont want or need.
you can put embossed artwork on them etc. etc. but at the end of the day they ARENT original issues, they are worthless overpriced reissues with the rhino logo on them. they are marketed as collectors items. many people buy them with a view to keeping them as an investment but if they are reissues they wont go up in value- just look on ebay/ amazon at smiths 1990s reissue cds theyre worthless and even the original rough trade 12″ vinyl releases dont go for much. the complete smiths dvd can be bought for around 99p plus postage on ebay!!!
if people are moaning about the £250 price tag now youre not gonna sell the collection at a profit. theres not even any new music on them. they will probably end up half the price after christmas.
look around at the u2 superdeluxe set for their 360 dvd theyre still on sale and people arent buying them (btw im using this as an example im not saying im a u2 fan!)

im not trying to offend anyone on here just giving my honest opinion based on the music collection ive built up over the past 20 years.
i know there are some guys on here who have a genuine passion for the new vinyl stuff who intend to buy it but personally i think this boxset is a cynical money making exercise- how many people already bought the 7″singles set a couple of years ago and have waited for the second box to be released only to find out its been ditched in favour of an overpriced so called super deluxe set?.
i bought the cd version of the singles box and would have loved to have another little box of singles to go with it. why cant they just give people what they want?
11 compilation albums already released from a band- almost 3 tiimes the number of studio albums they recorded!!! havent they any rare tracks to sell to us or are they just going to flog us the same stuff repackaged in a different way time and time again?
btw the £35 album boxset looks ideal for smiths newbies!!!

Re: Article: "The Smiths -- Complete" Super Deluxe Collectors Box from Rhino, limited

the singles boxsets havent sold out and they were supposed to be "limited edtion". there is no way they will shift 3000 units of this boxset at £250 people should boycott this rubbish anyway its a rip off.

both complete smiths are on preorder on amazon in the u.s.

377 dollars for the deluxe with free shipping
69 dollars for the regular version

Re: Article: "The Smiths -- Complete" Super Deluxe Collectors Box from Rhino, limited

How f***ing stupid does somebody have to be to buy this pointless crap?

Does Mike Joyce get a percentage of this box set also? Price is way too high for this. Most Smiths collectors have it all already. Rhino is going to see poor sales for this kind of money. My guess is the price will come down by $100.00. The vinyl box set should be $119.00 tops.

bought it straight away, i used to own a pretty great collection, but had to sell in financial ard times, so this was a lot cheaper than the collection i sold, all new and in one place, sure theres 2 cds worth of released edits, bsides that never made i onto a comilation album etc, and yes it would ave been nice to include sometig like that if youre gonna call it complete, but, to hve all the 7" LPs CDs all in one place is great. hpefully the cd single boxset volume 2 will follow and .. the aformentioned double cd of tracks not in the boxsets. butreally is a great price. looks like a lot sure but the 35 quid for just the cds is great value, only the vinyl oly boxse seems mssively ovepriced. i for one cant wait to get this package. qui ur whinging no 1 will force you to buy this, i perosnally have been waitig a few years for this release.

8 albums on vinyl at £12 each (general retail price for new records) £96
25 singes on vinyl at £3 each £75
8 cd albums £35
total £206
+ art prints posters dvd, the box etc
the 220 mazon are charging is obviously in no way a bargain but hardly a rip off either

shame theres no rarities disc to make it that bit sweeter, maybe next time

David Cavanagh reviewed the box set in Uncut magazine and said, "The Sound Of The Smiths divided opinion between fans who enjoyed hearing Rourke's bass loud and clear, and those who found the songs too harsh. These new remasters seem 'softer', less abrasive, not so teeth rattling."

Hopefully that means no brickwalling, although Cavanagh might just have shite hearing....

well, the really good news is that all those singles and b-sides (from the re-pressed 7" singles) will be available in the "complete" download available from both amazon UK and itunes UK. we'll wait and see about ameriKKKa, but at least it helps on make a more informed decision about which overpriced package to purchase.

samples are up for listening on amazon UK, albeit very short samples - don't think they're up yet at all on itunes UK, just the tracklisting.

rhino usually offers their own products as downloads, as well, in slightly higher quality (320kps rather than 254kps), so it might be worth waiting to see about that possibility.

happy shopping, my fellow suckers.

Storage might be a problem......if it fell on you it would probably crush you.

If it had been released on 78 I might have been tempted. Already have the albums on 33 1/3.

Oh Yes....and the Negative Sleeve too.How can you not buy it...
Cheers Moz

I don't know if i'll be able to resisit have a look at this web page for more pics of complete box set.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/p...e-smiths-complete-box-set-the-first-pictures/

Cheapest i've seen it is at sainsburys on line £215 pre order anyone cheaper?

Anyone know how to redeem Nectar Points on Sainsburys online? My partner has 41,000 points, which equals £208 :) But I cannot figure out how to cash them in and get the boxed set for £7 :(

Dave

Anyone know how to redeem Nectar Points on Sainsburys online? My partner has 41,000 points, which equals £208 :) But I cannot figure out how to cash them in and get the boxed set for £7 :(

Dave

Er, sorry Dave but nectar site says your points are only worth £82 500 points worth £2.50.

Er, sorry Dave but nectar site says your points are only worth £82 500 points worth £2.50.

If 500 points are worth £2.50, then 41,000 = (41,000/500) x £2.50; = 82 x £2.50 = £205

If 500 points are worth £2.50, then 41,000 = (41,000/500) x £2.50; = 82 x £2.50 = £205

I agree with your maths Peter - so, how do I redeem them? And how do I persuade her to let me use them :D

Dave

I knew that i was just testing you lot, and you passed, well done.:blushing:

I agree with your maths Peter - so, how do I redeem them? And how do I persuade her to let me use them :D

Dave

The Nectar website shows only 5 online retailers sainsburys aren't one of them (odd), but Amazon are, £215.99 from them.You persuade her to let you use them by saying your getting it anyway, better to £11 quid and the points.

http://www.nectar.com/spend.points

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom