Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell still pub

Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped by Andy Malt - Complete Music Update

Universal has declined to comment on claims made by Morrissey’s True To You fansite that the singer has been dropped by the Harvest imprint of the mega-major’s Capitol division.

It was widely reported over the weekend that the label had dropped Morrissey just three weeks after the release of his latest album, ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business’. The news was based on claims made by his True To You fansite, which said on Saturday: “Three weeks after the release of Morrissey’s ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business’ (#2 UK, #14 US), Capitol Records/Harvest have ended their relationship with Morrissey, as directed by label boss Steve Barnett. Morrissey is once again in search of a record label”.

The ‘dropped by Harvest’ claim followed mild criticism of the label by Morrissey for not producing a decent video for the album’s title track, while at the same time praising DIY efforts made by fans. Though if mild label-dissing was a reason for dropping artists, there wouldn’t be many still with record deals.

In June this year, True To You published a similar article to its latest claims, saying that Morrissey had ended his 30 year partnerships with Warner/Chappell and was seeking a new publishing deal.

At the time, Warner/Chappell also told CMU that it would not usually comment on such claims. However, given how widely they had been reported, a spokesperson did confirm that Warner/Chappell remains the publisher for Morrissey’s Smiths and solo songs, including his latest album.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell still

And once again Judge Weeks got it spot on didn't he ?
D T U !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Re: Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell still

None of us knows anything BUT repeated patterns of behaviour can be good clues to the truth.

As well as jumping the gun with Warner/Chapell, Morrissey also issued a similar public statement saying that his autobiography would NOT be published by Penguin on True To You - then changed his mind after the issues were worked out between the scenes.

Maybe, as with Warner/Chapell and Penguin - Moz got into a strop with Harvest about some aspect of the album promotion, decided they were in breach of contract, and issued the 'I've been dropped from label' statement as a way of raising the stakes. The 'no comment' from Harvest - not even to confirm that Morrissey *is* off the label (which wouldn't be that hard for them to confirm, surely), may well be because they are still working out how to respond. Either they let Morrissey have his way, sort things out behind the scenes, and we get a statement saying it was all a misunderstating a few weeks later...or they decide to free him from his contract and let him walk away.

I wouldn't be suprised if it's all a case of gamesmanship - something that Morrissey engages in a lot, even if it doesn't always work out the way he hopes (ie:trying to bring Marr to heel by telling the NME he had quit the Smiths, in the hope he would come scurrying back from his holiday/side projects with Bryan Ferry et al - a scenario which pretty much everyone but Morrissey himself seems to think the most likely chain of events)

Whether 'Kiss Me a Lot' still comes out as a single will be a good indication of whether his time at Harvest might NOT be over after all...

Another reason Morrissey *might* be trying to force Harvest's hand, is that he's under contract for two albums. Maybe he's realised he can't work with them, and is trying to get out from having to deliver that 2nd album? It will be interesting if Harvest dig their heels in and say "No - we haven't dropped you. You still owe us another record." Then Morrissey will be stuck, as he won't be free to sign and record with anyone else. If that happens, presumably either another record company would have to pay Harvest off first (which will make him an even more unattractive signing), or we'll be headed for a long drawn out legal case, as Morrissey tries to get out from his contractual obligation. Maybe he can do a Prince, and change his name to a squiggly symbol for 'slave' if he's forced to record a 2nd Harvest album? ;)

None of us knows anything BUT repeated patterns of behaviour can be good clues to the truth.

As well as jumping the gun with Warner/Chapell, Morrissey also issued a similar public statement saying that his autobiography would NOT be published by Penguin on True To You - then changed his mind after the issues were worked out between the scenes.

Maybe, as with Warner/Chapell and Penguin - Moz got into a strop with Harvest about some aspect of the album promotion, decided they were in breach of contract, and issued the 'I've been dropped from label' statement as a way of raising the stakes. The 'no comment' from Harvest - not even to confirm that Morrissey *is* off the label (which wouldn't be that hard for them to confirm, surely), may well be because they are still working out how to respond. Either they let Morrissey have his way, sort things out behind the scenes, and we get a statement saying it was all a misunderstating a few weeks later...or they decide to free him from his contract and let him walk away.

I wouldn't be suprised if it's all a case of gamesmanship - something that Morrissey engages in a lot, even if it doesn't always work out the way he hopes (ie:trying to bring Marr to heel by telling the NME he had quit the Smiths, in the hope he would come scurrying back from his holiday/side projects with Bryan Ferry et al - a scenario which pretty much everyone but Morrissey himself seems to think the most likely chain of events)

Whether 'Kiss Me a Lot' still comes out as a single will be a good indication of whether his time at Harvest might NOT be over after all...

There's been no confirmation of Kiss Me A Lot coming out as a single other than a blurb about a promo disc.

One must Read. Between. The. |||||||||||.

Here are the lines from TTY...

"Three weeks after the release of Morrissey's World Peace Is None Of Your Business (#2 UK, #14 US), Capitol Records/Harvest have ended their relationship with Morrissey, as directed by label boss Steve Barnett.
Morrissey is once again in search of a record label."

Simple fact: He names the person responsible for dropping him and that he is dropped.

Reading between the lines: He's insane.

Conclusion: You would need to be equally barking mad to touch him with a bargepole.

The Hot Topic employee?
How you doin'?
Wendy only has 10 minutes to discuss hot topics and the Mad Man has quadruple the crazy talk drama than Morrissey does. The Mad Man's depo alone makes Morrissey's lifetime comments on the Royals and the meat industry seem tame.

"Three weeks after the release of Morrissey's World Peace Is None Of Your Business (#2 UK, #14 US), Capitol Records/Harvest have ended their relationship with Morrissey, as directed by label boss Steve Barnett.

Simple fact: He names the person responsible for dropping him and that he is dropped.

Conclusion: You would need to be equally barking mad to touch him with a bargepole.

Where is your next album, Mr. Borelycorn? Morrissey has ten solo albums under his belt. And you?

He'll keep releasing new music as he pleases, when he pleases?

You? You'll be the dullard with a sun dial avatar groaning about it at So-Low.

So Morrissey is the one that informed Harvest that they have dropped him? Interesting...

We might have spent hours here writing about our Mozfather being dropped and in the end it may not be the case.....oh well

Cheers Moz

I'm increasingly beginning to suspect the True To You statement is a load of old flannel being waved around in public, whilst a deal re-negotiation is being attempted behind the scenes.

Where is your next album, Mr. Borelycorn? Morrissey has ten solo albums under his belt. And you?

so true

I am sorry Johnny but your statement is without any logic whatsoever. Moz made the statement on TTY (or presumably Julia on his behalf). Harvest are not commenting. Perhaps the statement is true but will not be acknowledged until the dust has settled. Perhaps Harvest do not want to be caught up in the furore over this. Perhaps there was an argument and heated remarks were made but now both parties are looking to see if the contract is indeed terminated. Perhaps none of us has the slightest clue as to what happened/is happening behind the scenes. None of that points to your claim that Moz is insane.
As Darth Vader once said "I find your lack of faith disturbing. The power of this website is infinitesimal when compared to the power of the Moz."

I am sorry Johnny but your statement is without any logic whatsoever. Moz made the statement on TTY (or presumably Julia on his behalf). Harvest are not commenting. Perhaps the statement is true but will not be acknowledged until the dust has settled. Perhaps Harvest do not want to be caught up in the furore over this. Perhaps there was an argument and heated remarks were made but now both parties are looking to see if the contract is indeed terminated. Perhaps none of us has the slightest clue as to what happened/is happening behind the scenes. None of that points to your claim that Moz is insane.
As Darth Vader once said "I find your lack of faith disturbing. The power of this website is infinitesimal when compared to the power of the Moz."

Hi Acton! :)

This does bear the hallmarks of previous Morrissey public "negotiations." If Harvest do decide to keep him they must have the patience of saints.

This is all very confusing.

Good post. Have you thought about joining the site on a regular basis? You'd be most welcome.

We might have spent hours here writing about our Mozfather being dropped and in the end it may not be the case.....oh well

Cheers Moz

It did seem right from the initial TTY statement that either the termination was mutual, or Moz was the one who wanted the contract ended. I wonder if the main issue is how the download-only singles were handled...

I don't know if this means anything but NPR did an interview with Harvest sometime last week (not sure if it was with Steve Barnett himself but I want to say it was) and I found it curious that the topic of Morrissey- surely the biggest name on the label and an NPR darling- was tactfully passed over when the interviewer brought him up. The interview was about how labels like Harvest are trying to make labels distinct brands again that give a buyer some idea what he'll be getting if he sees an artist on the rack he/she's unfamilar with- similar artistic themes/sounds and whatnot. Anyhow- I thought it was a bad sign that the guy being interviewed didn't sieze the moment to say "take, for example, Morrissey and his brilliant new album" blah, blah, blah. It came across like he really didn't want to talk about Moz at all. I think he is done at Harvest and, probably, overall.

Last edited:

He won't though will he?
Yet again, he'll probably have to wait years between albums, maybe 5, maybe 7, maybe more, until his deluded perception of his own commercial popularity matches up with the real world.

...that said I'd love it if Harvest became a label that specialized in bands like The Ocean Blue, Trash Can Sinatras, Housemartins, Gene, Bernard Butler etc. etc. Having Morrissey as your brand ambassador would be great for a label like that. :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom