Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell still pub

Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped by Andy Malt - Complete Music Update

Universal has declined to comment on claims made by Morrissey’s True To You fansite that the singer has been dropped by the Harvest imprint of the mega-major’s Capitol division.

It was widely reported over the weekend that the label had dropped Morrissey just three weeks after the release of his latest album, ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business’. The news was based on claims made by his True To You fansite, which said on Saturday: “Three weeks after the release of Morrissey’s ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business’ (#2 UK, #14 US), Capitol Records/Harvest have ended their relationship with Morrissey, as directed by label boss Steve Barnett. Morrissey is once again in search of a record label”.

The ‘dropped by Harvest’ claim followed mild criticism of the label by Morrissey for not producing a decent video for the album’s title track, while at the same time praising DIY efforts made by fans. Though if mild label-dissing was a reason for dropping artists, there wouldn’t be many still with record deals.

In June this year, True To You published a similar article to its latest claims, saying that Morrissey had ended his 30 year partnerships with Warner/Chappell and was seeking a new publishing deal.

At the time, Warner/Chappell also told CMU that it would not usually comment on such claims. However, given how widely they had been reported, a spokesperson did confirm that Warner/Chappell remains the publisher for Morrissey’s Smiths and solo songs, including his latest album.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell still

I don't know if this means anything but NPR did an interview with Harvest sometime last week (not sure if it was with Steve Barnett himself but I want to say it was) and I found it curious that the topic of Morrissey- surely the biggest name on the label and an NPR darling- was tactfully passed over when the interviewer brought him up. The interview was about how labels like Harvest are trying to make labels distinct brands again that give a buyer some idea what he'll be getting if he sees an artist on the rack he/she's unfamilar with- similar artistic themes/sounds and whatnot. Anyhow- I thought it was a bad sign that the guy being interviewed didn't sieze the moment to say "take, for example, Morrissey and his brilliant new album" blah, blah, blah. It came across like he really didn't want to talk about Moz at all. I think he is done at Harvest and, probably, overall.

That is very interesting! I haven't listened to it yet (only read the synopsis), but this seems to be the piece you're referring to—looks like several people from Harvest past and present are quoted, including Barnett:
http://www.npr.org/2014/07/31/33655...atter-a-record-companys-return-from-obscurity

Off to listen to it now…

Re: Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell still

...that said I'd love it if Harvest became a label that specialized in bands like The Ocean Blue, Trash Can Sinatras, Housemartins, Gene, Bernard Butler etc. etc. Having Morrissey as your brand ambassador would be great for a label like that. :)
So you want a label with mainly shit wannabes?
Bernard, aside
Gene aren't even on the scene anymore - thank f***.
They made music for people who didn't really get the smiths - theirs was a wimpy, waterdown, dull version , as was The Housemartins, who also aren't about anymore

People shouldnt support these bands that take from moz more than than give anything to the music
Martin from.gene is so unmoz like in real life it's a joke
Noboddy of any taste took them seriously. Little indie in the true sense of the term

Where is your next album, Mr. Borelycorn? Morrissey has ten solo albums under his belt. And you?

He'll keep releasing new music as he pleases, when he pleases?

You? You'll be the dullard with a sun dial avatar groaning about it at So-Low.

I can't help but think that it is "fans" like you, Irish, and Orson who have been in some small way instrumental in Morrissey latest disaster and the years of refuse he has been producing.

He has no career. It is in tatters. He might find a promoter willing to put up with his latest bullshit and let him back on the tofu in a basket greatest hits tour, but keep pretending everything in the garden is rosy, please.

Meanwhile World Peace has fallen out of the top ten and off the radar in a month, and sold 58,000 worldwide where his previous album sold that in the UK alone.

If that's success what do you cretins think constitutes a disaster?

Oh I don't know. Both pretend about their sexuality, both deeply depressed, both like a drink, etc...
Actually, in all honesty, I suspect Rossiter is closer to what Morrissey fans think Moz is and Moz is closer in real life to what Rossiter fans think Rossiter is.
Rossiter seems completely straight, to me, but always claimed to be bi, whereas Moz is clearly a total bumder and pretends to be "humasexual".

martin-rossiter_7.jpg

Gene were a great band but were more influenced by the Faces (awesome) than they were The Smiths, thank God.
Like The Smiths, they also released four great albums, without any dip in quality. Their last album was a masterpiece.

Good post. Have you thought about joining the site on a regular basis? You'd be most welcome.

He's been here for yonks, you dipstick. If you stayed in the one time stream you'd know that.

What a funny world you inhabit. Where you marked World Peace as a masterpiece before it was even leaked, and are upset that people even have the temerity to say its "just" OK.

When exactly did you lose your ability to think for yourself? Were you hit on the head by a Morlock?

He's been here for yonks, you dipstick. If you stayed in the one time stream you'd know that.

What a funny world you inhabit. Where you marked World Peace as a masterpiece before it was even leaked, and are upset that people even have the temerity to say its "just" OK.

When exactly did you lose your ability to think for yourself? Were you hit on the head by a Morlock?

So says the delusional troll who repeatedly references something I never said...

So you want a label with mainly shit wannabes?
Bernard, aside
Gene aren't even on the scene anymore - thank f***.
They made music for people who didn't really get the smiths - theirs was a wimpy, waterdown, dull version , as was The Housemartins, who also aren't about anymore

People shouldnt support these bands that take from moz more than than give anything to the music
Noboddy of any taste took them seriously. Little indie in the true sense of the term

So, you agree that Morrissey would make a great brand ambassador if such a label existed? I'm just winding you up. Kidding aside though, Gene (to me) was the only band out of the list I mentioned that seemed to really try to emulate the Smith's sound. I don't equate the other bands I mentioned as Smiths wannabes. They all did their own thing. Just like Moz. Seperate from the Smiths and doing his own thing.
Why the all the venom? Lighten up.

I can't help but think that it is "fans" like you, Irish, and Orson who have been in some small way instrumental in Morrissey latest disaster and the years of refuse he has been producing.

He has no career. It is in tatters. He might find a promoter willing to put up with his latest bullshit and let him back on the tofu in a basket greatest hits tour, but keep pretending everything in the garden is rosy, please.

Meanwhile World Peace has fallen out of the top ten and off the radar in a month, and sold 58,000 worldwide where his previous album sold that in the UK alone.

Very well said.

So, you agree that Morrissey would make a great brand ambassador if such a label existed? I'm just winding you up. Kidding aside though, Gene (to me) was the only band out of the list I mentioned that seemed to really try to emulate the Smith's sound. I don't equate the other bands I mentioned as Smiths wannabes. They all did their own thing. Just like Moz. Seperate from the Smiths and doing his own thing.

The Housemartins based a whole song around a Riff of Johnnys
But yes martin is a tribute act - his page is full of morrissey smiths fans the type that add anyone satin can sing, he just has nothing to say and the may he tries to sound like Moz even in spoken voice, hes Welsh remember, is even worse as for his moz try to be quotes they are useless.
I know a few people who know him in Brighton he's meant to be "Alright ", your typical football, boring blokey type

I think mozza's new lp is grand. Loving it.

Please consider changing your name to "Ballerina Out of Control"
I don't know what PYT (pithy...) sees in you
Paul Bunyan. But don't take this too seriously. I loved "Cerulean"

...that said I'd love it if Harvest became a label that specialized in bands like The Ocean Blue, Trash Can Sinatras, Housemartins, Gene, Bernard Butler etc. etc. Having Morrissey as your brand ambassador would be great for a label like that. :)

Are you telling me GENE are reforming? Now that would be good news. High ho high ho it's off to Google search I go.
Bernard Butler is grand as long as he doesn't sing. Same for Johnny Marr really. I know that's harsh but my lips can't betray my ears.

It is so easy to insult people and have a dig through the safety of the internet. It's damn enjoyable too but we all know it's a childish way for us to behave. Us includes me obviously. Posting comments here is like behaving badly at a party behind the mystery of a mask. But the mask has to come off when you're offline and sitting back and wondering 'how many people did I negatively impact today?'. Ultimately there is no point, but I admit the thrill factor is almost worth the hurt. Almost.

Please consider changing your name to "Ballerina Out of Control"
I don't know what PYT (pithy...) sees in you
Paul Bunyan. But don't take this too seriously. I loved "Cerulean"

Ha- thanks for the laugh, chum! :) I'm the one that gave you a thumbs up.

Why do people think that Morrissey has lied just because the label have declined to comment? That's laughable. No comment means that they're not prepared to comment. They might still try to get some mileage out of the album, release another single, sell some merchandise or.. something like that. Also, if you were fired from a job and someone approached your previous employer asking whether or not you worked there, you wouldn't like that very much. 'No comment' is a staple answer in big business. It doesn't mean yes or no, it just means 'we're not prepared to talk about it'. Business as usual.

Today's technology allows more so than ever artists like Morrissey who are very, "I want things done my way,I don't like to compromise",types of artists, the ability to easily do their own thing on their own terms. The fact the Moz said he is old school and has to have a major label behind him, is nonsense. He is just being daft. Either he looks at it as being too much work and feels he is entitled to not have to put forth such an effort, or he is too cheap to hire the people and things necessary to put it all in place. But the fact is an artists like Morrissey could easily start up his own small imprint label,sign a distribution deal and people wouldn't even notice that he wasn't on a major if he wanted to. He could then do whatever the F he warted and with just a distribution deal there would be much less risk allowing him to do whatever he wanted.

My friend was a member of a very influential 1990's Seattle band. They were even on Sub Pop records. They were much more influential than financially beneficial. Their singer has released a few solo albums over the years. Between solo and band projects the lead singer decided to release his 2006 solo album independently,creating his own imprint/label. This is a guy who probably doesn't even have 1 1/10 the amount of capital or name recognition someone like Morrissey would have to work with. And yet If one didn't actually know it, one would have thought when his album came out, that it was on a major label. The amount of promotion (yes mostly online), as well as the album being available just about everywhere because of whatever distribution deal he signed, was just like he had a big label behind him.

Morrissey is a perfect candidate for just starting his own label, and he doesn't need to go the embarrassing Amanda Palmer raise money route either. I think there is more to the story, like perhaps he is too lazy? Just hire a bunch of young guys to create an awesome web presence and release an album on your own! End of story!

Last edited:
Probably whats happened is, the label's no comment does mean business as usual and they want to try to get whatever milage left that they can out of the release. When Morrissey first heard the news, he was probably told that they would appreciate it if he would wait to make any comment,but he legally didn't have to. Probably upset because they dropped him he figured F them I'm not waiting so that they feel more comfortable. Which is whyhe probably straight away decided to comment , by releasing the true to you statement.

Today's technology allows more so than ever artists like Morrissey who are very, "I want things done my way,I don't like to compromise",types of artists, the ability to easily do their own thing on their own terms. The fact the Moz said he is old school and has to have a major label behind him, is nonsense. He is just being daft. Either he looks at it as being too much work and feels he is entitled to not have to put forth such an effort, or he is too cheap to hire the people and things necessary to put it all in place. But the fact is an artists like Morrissey could easily start up his own small imprint label,sign a distribution deal and people wouldn't even notice that he wasn't on a major if he wanted to. He could then do whatever the F he warted and with just a distribution deal there would be much less risk allowing him to do whatever he wanted.

My friend was a member of a very influential 1990's Seattle band. They were even on Sub Pop records. They were much more influential than financially beneficial. Their singer has released a few solo albums over the years. Between solo and band projects the lead singer decided to release his 2006 solo album independently,creating his own imprint/label. This is a guy who probably doesn't even have 1 1/10 the amount of capital or name recognition someone like Morrissey would have to work with. And yet If one didn't actually know it, one would have thought when his album came out, that it was on a major label. The amount of promotion (yes mostly online), as well as the album being available just about everywhere because of whatever distribution deal he signed, was just like he had a big label behind him.

Morrissey is a perfect candidate for just starting his own label, and he doesn't need to go the embarrassing Amanda Palmer raise money route either. I think there is more to the story, like perhaps he is too lazy? Just hire a bunch of young guys to create an awesome web presence and release an album on your own! End of story!

I'm playing the guessing game. Someone from Sunny Day Real Estate? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Waits

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom