Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell still pub

Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped by Andy Malt - Complete Music Update

Universal has declined to comment on claims made by Morrissey’s True To You fansite that the singer has been dropped by the Harvest imprint of the mega-major’s Capitol division.

It was widely reported over the weekend that the label had dropped Morrissey just three weeks after the release of his latest album, ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business’. The news was based on claims made by his True To You fansite, which said on Saturday: “Three weeks after the release of Morrissey’s ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business’ (#2 UK, #14 US), Capitol Records/Harvest have ended their relationship with Morrissey, as directed by label boss Steve Barnett. Morrissey is once again in search of a record label”.

The ‘dropped by Harvest’ claim followed mild criticism of the label by Morrissey for not producing a decent video for the album’s title track, while at the same time praising DIY efforts made by fans. Though if mild label-dissing was a reason for dropping artists, there wouldn’t be many still with record deals.

In June this year, True To You published a similar article to its latest claims, saying that Morrissey had ended his 30 year partnerships with Warner/Chappell and was seeking a new publishing deal.

At the time, Warner/Chappell also told CMU that it would not usually comment on such claims. However, given how widely they had been reported, a spokesperson did confirm that Warner/Chappell remains the publisher for Morrissey’s Smiths and solo songs, including his latest album.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell

I agree that starting his own label would be amazing. He certainly has the money. He could hire young hipsters to really attack social media, a pr team to get him on TV, and revamp his image. He already has a decent young indie following, and he should use that to his advantage. I was amazed at amount of young, hip kids at the show I went to on the last tour.

Although, a first step should be getting rid of those wide legged jeans.

Re: Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell still

...that said I'd love it if Harvest became a label that specialized in bands like The Ocean Blue, Trash Can Sinatras, Housemartins, Gene, Bernard Butler etc. etc. Having Morrissey as your brand ambassador would be great for a label like that. :)

I also heard the snippet on NPR. They talked more about how Harvest used to have a cohesive aesthetic in the sixties/seventies with Pink Floyd and Robert Wyatt, and how labels are trying that tact again. Funny thing is, I've seen the Harvest roster, and the only other band I know is Death Grips, who really couldn't be further away from what Moz does. Try 4AD in the 80's or Captured Tracks now if that appeals to you, but I don't know what Harvest is going on about!?!

I love all the bands you list, but I don't think that most of them are active. Ocean Blue is recording for Shelflife Records these days though (with a new EP out soon). They have a solid indie-pop roster - you should 'em it out!

Morrissey seems to point fingers when things fall bellow expectations. If he's on his own label it leaves no one else to blame for bad choices and fumbled opportunities.

Re: Article: Universal says ‘no comment’ on claims Morrissey has been dropped; Warner/Chappell still

Keep checking TTY.

This is getting ridiculous!! Every single day brings its own disaster! This could have been a great "come back". The new album's quality is beyond everybody's expectations but still Completely clouded by all this nonsense!
Besides I really believe Moz is not manageable! He should do everything independantly, the way artists like Prince do!
Such a shame cause the album is really good! I think they sould have released it in September though! It may have been a bit too early.

When exactly did you lose your ability to think for yourself? Were you hit on the head by a Morlock?

No one here has to think for themselves, Supercorn. We've got you to think for us and save us from Morrissey.

Hey Morrissey, my friend works for the Grammys and posted this on facebook today. You want me to shoot over a copy of World Peace? :p

14910603522_6804d026b4_z.jpg

He's been here for yonks, you dipstick. If you stayed in the one time stream you'd know that.

What a funny world you inhabit. Where you marked World Peace as a masterpiece before it was even leaked, and are upset that people even have the temerity to say its "just" OK.

When exactly did you lose your ability to think for yourself? Were you hit on the head by a Morlock?

Told ya.

Morrissey doesn't need Universal, but they need him if they are to have any future raison d'etre beyond Commerce. It's amusing to watch the machinations and the petulant rants of those who somehow imagine it's incumbent upon "Morrissey" to be a Model Worker Drone Corporate Rock Whore when his very act of torching his career (again!) is the absolute pre-cursor to him regaining some legitimacy as an Outsider Artist.

Nobody needs 'publicity' when they produce incendiary Art like WPINOYB. The word of mouth of the cognoscenti is all that's required. At some stage Herd Culture either falls into line or continues in soporific trance. Who cares? Most of the music "Morrissey" applauds vanished without trace, why would he care if his best work is buried alive? It's actually quite humorous, in a cantankerous back-handed complimentary kind of way.

One hopes that the next album appears before the end of the year and that health concerns recede to allow this astonishing new music to be performed live, as that's the only real arbiter these days in commercial terms. I remain convinced that there's an entirely new Audience waiting to embrace this new "Morrissey", on a scale such as to dwarf as irrelevant the tiresome tantrums of those 'fans' here who imagine they own "our Morrissey" or some such drivel. Not that it matters. It's only more of the Bread'n'Circuses nonsense of distraction as Collapse gathers pace. Etc.

with every risible intonation of (in)sincerity
"BrummieBoy"

Last edited:

Morrissey doesn't need Universal, but they need him if they are to have any future raison d'etre beyond Commerce.

Newsflash: Universal is a business. Its sole reason for existing - like every other major record label - is to make money.

Morrissey doesn't need Universal, but they need him if they are to have any future raison d'etre beyond Commerce. It's amusing to watch the machinations and the petulant rants of those who somehow imagine it's incumbent upon "Morrissey" to be a Model Worker Drone Corporate Rock Whore when his very act of torching his career (again!) is the absolute pre-cursor to him regaining some legitimacy as an Outsider Artist.

Nobody needs 'publicity' when they produce incendiary Art like WPINOYB. The word of mouth of the cognoscenti is all that's required. At some stage Herd Culture either falls into line or continues in soporific trance. Who cares? Most of the music "Morrissey" applauds vanished without trace, why would he care if his best work is buried alive? It's actually quite humorous, in a cantankerous back-handed complimentary kind of way.

One hopes that the next album appears before the end of the year and that health concerns recede to allow this astonishing new music to be performed live, as that's the only real arbiter these days in commercial terms. I remain convinced that there's an entirely new Audience waiting to embrace this new "Morrissey", on a scale such as to dwarf as irrelevant the tiresome tantrums of those 'fans' here who imagine they own "our Morrissey" or some such drivel. Not that it matters. It's only more of the Bread'n'Circuses nonsense of distraction as Collapse gathers pace. Etc.

with every risible intonation of (in)sincerity
"BrummieBoy"

You must be crazy; this is not astonishing--actually astonishingly bad. WPINOYB is horrible--with his shoddy lyrics and hack guitarists.

If only,
to save us from the twitter mistakes,
the clone stamp tool
and a lack of product to go and buy (records/cd's)
there is some hope that Morrissey may stay on Universal but he could move away from
Harvest and goto another label.....but still with Universal.

It is pure speculation but it will be very interesting to watch for more news from TTY in the weeks ahead.

1. Dont forget that Universal needs artists like Morrissey.
2. Every sale is profit for the label, not for the artist. In every country. All over the world.

3. The next label can actually try and sell some cd singles in HMV so that people can go and
buy one (or two.)
4. There might be a video - on You Tube or elsewhere - thats official.
5. In the UK, they could put a park bench in Manchester Arndale Center rather than in the US on Melrose and Fairfax
6. They could promote the excellent spoken word videos. What a waste - they are just fantastic.
7. They could sort out a proper web presence and twitter feed.
8. They could..... oh god. It beggars belief but this is not 1984 and Harvest are worse than Rough Trade...

The captcha for posting this comment is - strangely - "do you believe in miracles?" (!!)

Jennifer Lopez doesnt have to put up with this shit.

Morrissey seems to point fingers when things fall bellow expectations. If he's on his own label it leaves no one else to blame for bad choices and fumbled opportunities.

Look I don't want to go into this but when you are signed by a decent label, then any artist expect
a certain level of service and quality.

This is not something that the artist can control, but any artist would
certainly be pissed off if a single was released and fans could not buy it. Its handy having the dowmload
options but the real thing needs to be on cd or vinyl or both and it needs to be in the shops/stores.

And any artist should get that service. So you would be annoyed too, I bet ? I would certainly be pointing
the finger at EVERYONE at Harvest, Capital or Universal in connection with that fiasco.

Even the " WPINOYB Box sets" were late. Says it all, really.

I find it fascinating that people feel that the $10 dollars they spend on Morrissey's cd/download entitles them to critique Morrissey's career and personal life.

It's Morrissey's life to ruin as he pleases.

The site has to many people who think they're sooo clever that they know what's best for Morrissey.

You must be crazy; this is not astonishing--actually astonishingly bad. WPINOYB is horrible--with his shoddy lyrics and hack guitarists.

Well here's a thing. Brummie-boy, by and large, tends to make sense when posting. Things are thought out and expressed well. The fact that I agree with much of what he says is not the point. FAN, on the other hand, spouts a continuous steam of hatred and invective towards the person who is the object of this website.

So, when FAN says to Brummie-boy "you must be crazy" I am overwhelmed with the irony. When FAN says that World Peace is "astonishingly bad" I have to wonder which part of his brain was removed when they did the op to bring him back to life.

Yours in peace.

No one here has to think for themselves, Supercorn. We've got you to think for us and save us from Morrissey.

Don't forget FAN. Without him we'd never remember to think for ourselves.

Is it just me or does anyone else see the irony of the name Harvest for this record company? They've planted a seed in crap soil and left it to fend for itself against the elements.

Their business model is absolute crop!

Last edited:

Don't forget FAN. Without him we'd never remember to think for ourselves.

Ahh yes, FAN. Another beacon in his own mind.

Back
Top Bottom