"Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 3

Updated list of Autobiography reviews / media reviews.

A Plain Life Becoming a National Treasure by Ben Ratliff - The New York Times

This Not-So-Charming Man: GQ’s Morrissey Bureau Chief Reviews Morrissey’s Autobiography by Chris Heath (5 pages) - GQ. Link posted by Uncleskinny.
There isn't a bigger Morrissey fan alive, but our own Chris Heath finds the crooner's autobiographical epic to be just as dour, over-the-top, and frustrating as even the man's staunchest devotees might expect

Miaow! It's Morrissey's maliciously memorable memoirs by Michael Deacon - The Telegraph. Link from Jase.
Autobiography by Morrissey – reviewed in the style of Autobiography by Morrissey

Related items:

Last edited:
I just finished reading. Well, at least parts of it. What a tedious and boring book. "Autobiography" makes Morrissey look like a right twat, a spoiled ungrateful child.

I hope he never gets another record deal. He simply doesn't deserve it.

I also just finished reading it and absolutely adored it! Loved every minute! I only wish there was more!

I'm stunned by the minority of negativity attached to it as I feel Morrissey explains himself whilst being quite frank and open about his decisions in the past good and bad.

I think as ever he will always have jealous people out there that want to, or feel they can do, what he can when they actually can't.

Living well is the best revenge and he is living the best of all it would seem.

Bring on a new album!

I just finished reading. Well, at least parts of it. What a tedious and boring book. "Autobiography" makes Morrissey look like a right twat, a spoiled ungrateful child.

Why bother reading it?( I doubt you actually did read it) you've already made your mind up, you hate morrissey and everything he does

Why bother reading it?( I doubt you actually did read it) you've already made your mind up, you hate morrissey and everything he does
I'm about 100 pages in.
I was not expecting much, being very disappointed with his general demeanor of late (support of UKIP, racist comments, no records etc),
but so far I think the book is just wonderful.
However I have seen the odd review that says it tails off in quality as the book progresses.
Well, I'll see if I agree.

where, how and why you got so hatefull critcal

critical is OK, but no-one rolled out the red carped, early 80's

not drowning but waving

Honestly? What was you expecting? Katie Price, Love, Lipstick and Lies:lbf:So good I read it twice! Oh well, one mans meat.......

Seriously? So good I read it twice! Oh well, maybe give Katie Price Love, Lipstick and Lies a go:lbf: No seriously, one mans meat......and all that!

Yo Eric. I'm not particularly well read and not qualified to judge whether a book is great or otherwise.
But I think I can tell if a book is 'tedious and boring'.
Also, I am not one of the Moz worshippers.
However, surely the Autobiography is good?
The reviews I have seen so far have all been positive.
Do you really think it is that bad?
Or are you a 'hater'? (forgive me for using that stupid shorthand).

When your done reading the book, shove it up your butt.

Unfortunately Autobiography reads like all the TTY press releases cobbled together. Brilliant in places but frustrating in others. I must say I enjoyed the severed alliance and Mozipaedia a lot more.

You're just angry that Moz isn't gay. Get over it.

God, you people are tiresome. You eat shit and proclaim it tastes great. See Morrissey for who he is: a vile old queen who thinks is the nucleus of the universe.

Why do you keep defending him, when he keeps on acting like such a TWAT?!?

I have to say I am impressed.......that you can actually even read....what a total tit you are!

I've read nearly 100 pages and skimmed good chunks of 3/4 of the book. Without digesting everything, I think the New York Times review seems to be a fair assessment. Some editorial intervention would have polished it to a higher gleam. At odds with that sentiment, it definitely feels rushed at the end - and it is a bit disingenuous to say that it covers his life up to "the present." It clearly cuts off at the end of 2011 and, as we know, 2012 and 2013 sized up to be fairly tumultous. Obviously, there are going to be publication deadlines and cut-offs to consider - but, even so, it's very hard to not envision the events over the past year and a half having had a significant impact on his life, his outlook, and how he feels about some of the things he covers in the book. Some form of postlude would have been nice to have.

I've read nearly 100 pages and skimmed good chunks of 3/4 of the book. Without digesting everything, I think the New York Times review seems to be a fair assessment. Some editorial intervention would have polished it to a higher gleam. At odds with that sentiment, it definitely feels rushed at the end - and it is a bit disingenuous to say that it covers his life up to "the present." It clearly cuts off at the end of 2011 and, as we know, 2012 and 2013 sized up to be fairly tumultous. Obviously, there are going to be publication deadlines and cut-offs to consider - but, even so, it's very hard to not envision the events over the past year and a half having had a significant impact on his life, his outlook, and how he feels about some of the things he covers in the book. Some form of postlude would have been nice to have.

I agree. The latter part is simply a hurried tour diary. But the first part is splendid. I do get the feeling that we're missing block-chunks, that for whatever reason, have been excised.

P.

God, you people are tiresome. You eat shit and proclaim it tastes great. See Morrissey for who he is: a vile old queen who thinks is the nucleus of the universe.

Why do you keep defending him, when he keeps on acting like such a TWAT?!?

Er...the MUSIC?

I agree. The latter part is simply a hurried tour diary. But the first part is splendid. I do get the feeling that we're missing block-chunks, that for whatever reason, have been excised.

P.

I had a bit of an issue with the last part of the book too, as it does indeed sound a bit like a mini tour diary, but then you will even notice that it's not even in any particular order. He will mention strings of dates somewhere, and then flash "forward" to more string of dates that happened on a prior tour, a year or two before. I am assuming the cutting of some few hundred pages is part of the reason for this, but I was struggling to keep up as I was reading some of his memories about a specific gig I was at, and then continuing later on about another gig I attended, on a previous tour, in an earlier year. Maybe I am being a bit pedantic for relying some much on chronology, but I felt as if the Quarry through YOR era was slapped together in a rush with very much factual consistency.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom