"Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 5

Autobiography by Morrissey - The Sunday Times (subscription required). Link posted by Uncleskinny (original post / excerpt scan).

by AA Gill Published: 27 October 2013

The failures of teachers, the ingratitude of fellow musicians. There’s no slight too small that isn’t rehashed in Morrissey’s self-pitying memoir

Excerpt:

There are many pop autobiographies that shouldn't be written. Some to protect the unwary reader, and some to protect the author. In Morrissey's case, he has managed both. This is a book that cries out like one of his maudlin ditties to be edited. But were an editor to start, there would be no stopping. It is a heavy tome, utterly devoid of insight, warmth, wisdom or likeability. It is a potential firelighter of vanity, self-pity and logorrhoeic dullness. Putting it in Penguin Classics doesn't diminish Aristotle or Homer or Tolstoy; it just roundly mocks Morrissey, and this is a humiliation constructed by the self-regard of its victim.

An anonymous person writes (original post):

Private Eye (issue 1351) claims that Morrissey's contract with Penguin stipulated a condition of a minimum 24 books per order for shops - even small independent shops. And suggests that such practice is not the norm.

Books & Bookmen - site excerpt:

With Bookworm: "The case of Morrissey’s memoirs, published this week, suggests that dealing with pop stars turns normally mature and rational editors into panting, self-abasing teenage fans, prepared to offer or allow anything to their gods even if shame is the price. Not one but two top-flight publishers have been humiliated since it emerged that the former Smiths frontman had a sizeable typescript for sale…”

Last edited:
Can always tell a snipe job when the "journalist"'s own bias sees them ignore facts that don't fit their narrative.
"He isn't even one of Manchester's greatest cultural icons," the author writes.
Whether or not Gill agrees with the 2006 poll conducted by the BBC (which saw Morrissey voted Britain's 2nd greatest living icon), it should be mentioned in any argument on M's icon status.

Can always tell a snipe job when the "journalist"'s own bias sees them ignore facts that don't fit their narrative.
Whether or not Gill agrees with the 2006 poll conducted by the BBC (which saw Morrissey voted Britain's 2nd greatest living icon), it should be mentioned in any argument on M's icon status.

I remember that. Me, Mike and Dougal went to London to speak up for Moz on The Culture Show. And the vote was rigged, by the way, to stop him winning, a staffer told me.

P.

I remember that. Me, Mike and Dougal went to London to speak up for Moz on The Culture Show. And the vote was rigged, by the way, to stop him winning, a staffer told me.

P.

Gosh! More conspiracies..where's your tin foil hat? I'm sure the 'staffer' was entirely credible and reliable.

And did Morrissey ask you to speak up for him, the wallflower? Bless!

A A Gill often annoys me in restaurants but he's spot on here with a summary overview of this awful book.

At some stage an edited version of perhaps 100 pages will surface when someone at Penguin who has the editing skills and patience decides to get back at their corporate bean-counters for trashing the brand and their future career prospects.

And Morrissey's own bias in ignoring facts that don't fit his narrative? Like the Court Case? Grow up.

Morrissey is not one of Manchester's greatest cultural icons. But as sales figures show, Alex Ferguson certainly is!

A A Gill often annoys me in restaurants but he's spot on here with a summary overview of this awful book.

At some stage an edited version of perhaps 100 pages will surface when someone at Penguin who has the editing skills and patience decides to get back at their corporate bean-counters for trashing the brand and their future career prospects.

And Morrissey's own bias in ignoring facts that don't fit his narrative? Like the Court Case? Grow up.

Morrissey is not one of Manchester's greatest cultural icons. But as sales figures show, Alex Ferguson certainly is!

That's rrrrrright. Now close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears and keep repeating it to yourself. One day your wish may come true.

Someone who says Morrissey is not one of Manchester's greatest icons immediately loses all credibility.

AA Gill I understand is a big meat eater? Not sure what he thinks of vegetarians. Didn't AA Gill also make a distasteful remark about Claire Balding's sexuality? Oh and I hear he is best friends with Jeremy Clarkson!!!! Would not expect him to get Morrissey at all!:straightface:

Every single thread, you're there, spewing forth the same toxic waste.

Having said that 'Ballad of Manchester Goal' has given great joy to me and my Manc boyfriend!;) This Penguin Classic has hit number 1 and will continue to do so, u c x

A A Gill hates the book. Well that really has a great bearing on life. To say that Morrissey is not a cultural icon in Britain is just plain nonsense, but then that's Gill for you. The Sunday Times reviews are dishonest and snobbish and often a great marker of what not to buy when they give it a glowing review. As for Bummie Brow - holy mother of mackerel, what is your story? How did you get stuck in this perpetual cycle of bitterness? You need a hobby. No really.

Re: Article: "Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 5

A A Gill hates the book. Well that really has a great bearing on life. To say that Morrissey is not a cultural icon in Britain is just plain nonsense, but then that's Gill for you. The Sunday Times reviews are dishonest and snobbish and often a great marker of what not to buy when they give it a glowing review. As for Bummie Brow - holy mother of mackerel, what is your story? How did you get stuck in this perpetual cycle of bitterness? You need a hobby. No really.

Morrissey is not a cultural icon in Britain compared to Sir Alex Ferguson. Maybe in Manchester, but who cares about that wannabe 2nd city? I don't. Nor does anyone else I know who doesn't live there

Like it or not, A A Gill is almost as influential as me, so his dismissal counts almost as much as mine. Almost..Next!

I'm not bitter, I sweet and satisfied, and I have lots of hobbies, one of which is mocking Morrissey and his ridiculous cult fans.

- - - Updated - - -

lololololololololololololololol! oh brummie boy, you slay me, you really do. your liver must be a sight to behold.

Ferguson 9, Morrissey 1.

- - - Updated - - -

Every single thread, you're there, spewing forth the same toxic waste.

And yet, you can just put me on 'ignore' because "all you need is me debunking Morrissey"

- - - Updated - - -

Someone who says Morrissey is not one of Manchester's greatest icons immediately loses all credibility.

Morrissey is not one of Manchester's greatest cultural icons: my credibility remains intact, unlike Morrissey's tarnished crown of fake thorns.

Morrissey is not a cultural icon in Britain compared to Sir Alex Ferguson. Maybe in Manchester, but who cares about that wannabe 2nd city? I don't. Nor does anyone else I know who doesn't live there

Like it or not, A A Gill is almost as influential as me, so his dismissal counts almost as much as mine. Almost..Next!

I'm not bitter, I sweet and satisfied, and I have lots of hobbies, one of which is mocking Morrissey and his ridiculous cult fans.

Yes you are . You are bitter and angry because your ugly and cant get girls. Ha Ha Ha! :mock:

That's rrrrrright. Now close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears and keep repeating it to yourself. One day your wish may come true.

I repeat: Morrissey is not one of Manchester's greatest cultural icons. He's not a Manchester United player, no matter how much he tries or pretends his window cleaner is. He's now a laughing stock amongst the cognoscenti. That includes me, but not you.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you are . You are bitter and angry because your ugly and cant get girls. Ha Ha Ha! :mock:

Unlike Morrissey, I get lots of girls, boys and trans folk. Next time you see him, mock him for that, see how he responds. Now go and have another wank whilst you think of your next 'witty' response.

- - - Updated - - -

Ferguson 9, Morrissey 1.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet, you can just put me on 'ignore' because "all you need is me debunking Morrissey"

- - - Updated - - -

Morrissey is not one of Manchester's greatest cultural icons: my credibility remains intact, unlike Morrissey's tarnished crown of fake thorns.

You really are a total knob.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom