"Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 5

Autobiography by Morrissey - The Sunday Times (subscription required). Link posted by Uncleskinny (original post / excerpt scan).

by AA Gill Published: 27 October 2013

The failures of teachers, the ingratitude of fellow musicians. There’s no slight too small that isn’t rehashed in Morrissey’s self-pitying memoir

Excerpt:

There are many pop autobiographies that shouldn't be written. Some to protect the unwary reader, and some to protect the author. In Morrissey's case, he has managed both. This is a book that cries out like one of his maudlin ditties to be edited. But were an editor to start, there would be no stopping. It is a heavy tome, utterly devoid of insight, warmth, wisdom or likeability. It is a potential firelighter of vanity, self-pity and logorrhoeic dullness. Putting it in Penguin Classics doesn't diminish Aristotle or Homer or Tolstoy; it just roundly mocks Morrissey, and this is a humiliation constructed by the self-regard of its victim.

An anonymous person writes (original post):

Private Eye (issue 1351) claims that Morrissey's contract with Penguin stipulated a condition of a minimum 24 books per order for shops - even small independent shops. And suggests that such practice is not the norm.

Books & Bookmen - site excerpt:

With Bookworm: "The case of Morrissey’s memoirs, published this week, suggests that dealing with pop stars turns normally mature and rational editors into panting, self-abasing teenage fans, prepared to offer or allow anything to their gods even if shame is the price. Not one but two top-flight publishers have been humiliated since it emerged that the former Smiths frontman had a sizeable typescript for sale…”

Last edited:
Every time you express your bigotry, you just tighten the noose around your neck. Carry on! You don't even realise you're standing on a trap door, as you haven't read the book. Have you?

Do you actually do anything else other than fish for comments here? Some validation.

P.

Re: Article: "Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 5

BrummieBoy, ignore them.
They're queuing for their cup of Kool-Aid.

They are the best indictment of Morrissye as an artist and communicator and their words say far more about them, Morrissey and the rest of the cult here than they do about me. If I was a hunter, it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel. They couldn't think their way out of a paper bag, nor could Moz if he actually had to swot up and sit a proper exam. I don't mean intellectuals, either. Sparks, brickies, real skill. He's just a flaneur who got lucky and now he's been hoisted by his own petard and by Penguin. For a few dollars/euros/pounds more..

- - - Updated - - -

Do you actually do anything else other than fish for comments here? Some validation.

P.

What's it to you, big nose? get back to whatever it is you do in life when not trying to get my attention.

They are the best indictment of Morrissye as an artist and communicator and their words say far more about them, Morrissey and the rest of the cult here than they do about me. If I was a hunter, it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel. They couldn't think their way out of a paper bag, nor could Moz if he actually had to swot up and sit a proper exam. I don't mean intellectuals, either. Sparks, brickies, real skill. He's just a flaneur who got lucky and now he's been hoisted by his own petard and by Penguin. For a few dollars/euros/pounds more..

- - - Updated - - -

What's it to you, big nose? get back to whatever it is you do in life when not trying to get my attention.

f*** you c***chops. Stop being an arsehole or I'll ban you and every alias you come back with. And that's a promise.

P.

f*** you c***chops. Stop being an arsehole or I'll ban you and every alias you come back with. And that's a promise.

P.

Well, if you do, that's an indictment of you, DavidT and all the rest. Stop swearing at me. You wouldn't do it face to face. I don't ask the guy who repairs my lap-top what he thinks of my musings, why should I care what some tin-pot tyrant moderator thinks? If you ban me without justification under the TOS, and if you continue to abuse me with profanities: how do you think that makes you look? Calm down, do what you're meant to do and stop harassing me.

Morrissey bans DavidT at Copenhagen, P/Uncle Skinny bans me, for what? A perfect circle of hypocrisy? Your choice, or rather: DavidT's, if he chooses to put that reputational bullet in his gullet. As if I'd care.

By banning DavidT from Copenhagen, Morrissey proved my thesis that he is an intolerant, shrill cult leader with delusions of deference from 'fans' because he thinks' he's some kind of 'star'. If I'm now banned by some tantrum without justification, that merely proves the other side of my thesis, that Morrissey's 'fans' are as disturbed as the figure they follow. That wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, and it certainly wouldn't bother me, but it might you as you realise how many are then raising eyebrows at your behaviour.

Is this the last post I'll ever be *allowed* to make? *rollseyes* How would I cope without this site? *thinking*..

Last edited:

Well, if you do, that's an indictment of you, DavidT and all the rest. Stop swearing at me. You wouldn't do it face to face. I don't ask my the guy who repairs my lap-top what he thinks of my musings, why should I care what some tin-pot tyrant moderator thinks? If you ban me without justification under the TOS, and if you continue to abuse me with profanities: how do you think that makes you look? Calm down, do what you're meant to do and stop harassing me.

But you're a shit-stirring twat who likes the sound of his own relentless twaddle a little bit too much. Why don't you just start a diary? None of your musings are about Morrissey; they're about you're own f***ing absurdly over-inflated ego. Bizarrely all the stuff you falsely accuse Moz of - the vanity, the hatred, the pettiness, the shallowness, the bitterness - you are COMPLETELY guilty of: pot, kettle, black. Ultimately you stain every f***ing thread with your bile and contagion. Considering you have absolutely nothing positive and concrete to contribute and that you irritate the f*** out of 99% of the people on here, why shouldn't you be banned?

But you're a shit-stirring twat who likes the sound of his own relentless twaddle a little bit too much. Why don't you just start a diary? None of your musings are about Morrissey; they're about you're own f***ing absurdly over-inflated ego. Bizarrely all the stuff you falsely accuse Moz of - the vanity, the hatred, the pettiness, the shallowness, the bitterness - you are COMPLETELY guilty of: pot, kettle, black. Ultimately you stain every f***ing thread with your bile and contagion. Considering you have absolutely nothing positive and concrete to contribute and that you irritate the f*** out of 99% of the people on here, why shouldn't you be banned?

He is probably a shelf stacker in asda who gets a hard on while he posts on here! ignore him he is a loser and a twat with no friends, despite what he claims

Because I'm merely posting my point of view. It's called 'free speech'. You can put me on Ignore. So can almost everyone else, I'd prefer that!

ps: I might be modelling/impersonating Moz as a post-modern ironic gesture. I *might* not be anything like the persona I present here. And guess what? Morrissey *might* not be anything like the persona he presents to sell recorded music and concert tickets. I know that might seem incredible to you, but....

Last edited:

He is probably a shelf stacker in asda who gets a hard on while he posts on here! ignore him he is a loser and a twat with no friends, despite what he claims

Nothing wrong with stacking shelves in a supermarket, someone's got to do those jobs, like cleaning up after surgeons which Morrissey thought was beneath him. And cleaning canal banks for a living, he also thought that was demeaning, ditto filing in the Tax Office. Only being a corporate rock whore touring months at a time is a real job that confers the dignity of labour. And he's a role model? For who? If he was suffering mental illness/depression, that's fine and he deserved the support of the tribe even if he later decided not to be a taxpayer here to help others. But in his "Autobiography" he comes across as having an entitlement agenda to fame and fortune just like every other delusional tosspot on X-Fcuktor, except he won over the NME talent scouts.

Yes, you can 'ignore' me. I'd prefer it. You have nothing interesting to say about the book. I've no idea why you reply in relation to me. I write for the lurkers, not the fans. Hope that clears it up for you. Bye now!

"He is probably a shelf stacker in asda? "
Come on then 'Surface' tell us what you do for a living and when you've done that please explain what is wrong with stacking shelves in a supermarket ?

Benny-the-Butcher

He is probably a shelf stacker

So? Johnny Marr had a shelf-stacking job too, once.

Maybe I've missed a comment but I don't see why BB should be banned. Freedom of speech and all that. And we've seen so much worse, trollwise, and those were left well alone for a long, long time...

Let's be consistent? :)

I'd have thought that you'd be in favour of people opting out of the system BB, or have you gone all establishment on us? Or is it just when people do well enough financially to really get out of the system that you despise them?

I am a success in life, he is, sadly, a monumental failure: and a bitter, twisted man, damned by his own poisonous words.

Hilarious! Not the most cognizant cookie in the barrel, are you? This whole tedious BB schtick is the most transparent ego-defence mechanism imaginable. But like all wannabe bullies, your ego is actually wafer-thin. That's why you troll the internet being abusive and antagonistic in a desperate attempt to boost your flaccid little prune of an ego.

Nothing wrong with stacking shelves, of course. But I seriously doubt BB is allowed near any sharp implements.

I might be modelling/impersonating Moz as a post-modern ironic gesture. I *might* not be anything like the persona I present here. And guess what? Morrissey *might* not be anything like the persona he presents to sell recorded music and concert tickets. I know that might seem incredible to you, but....

No, nothing you say seems incredible to anyone. But it just *might* be we know precisely what you are. An attention-seeking internet bully and an incredibly boring one at that.

"He is probably a shelf stacker in asda? "
Come on then 'Surface' tell us what you do for a living and when you've done that please explain what is wrong with stacking shelves in a supermarket ?

Benny-the-Butcher

Nothing wrong with shelf stacking, just my view of what that wanker probably does despite what he says.

Nothing wrong with shelf stacking, just my view of what that wanker probably does despite what he says.

You don't want to believe he is successful, attractive, and well respected in his community. It would just seem so unfair, wouldn't it?

ofpwrb.jpg

With all due respect, BrummieBoy has not violated the terms of service. He cannot legitimately be banned. And shouldn't be. His opinions are often controversial. He thinks outside the Mozbox. My advice? Ignore him. Or read his posts and don't let his opinions get under your skin. Or be open minded and consider his opposing views.

He is not harassing or stalking anyone. :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom