"Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 5

Autobiography by Morrissey - The Sunday Times (subscription required). Link posted by Uncleskinny (original post / excerpt scan).

by AA Gill Published: 27 October 2013

The failures of teachers, the ingratitude of fellow musicians. There’s no slight too small that isn’t rehashed in Morrissey’s self-pitying memoir

Excerpt:

There are many pop autobiographies that shouldn't be written. Some to protect the unwary reader, and some to protect the author. In Morrissey's case, he has managed both. This is a book that cries out like one of his maudlin ditties to be edited. But were an editor to start, there would be no stopping. It is a heavy tome, utterly devoid of insight, warmth, wisdom or likeability. It is a potential firelighter of vanity, self-pity and logorrhoeic dullness. Putting it in Penguin Classics doesn't diminish Aristotle or Homer or Tolstoy; it just roundly mocks Morrissey, and this is a humiliation constructed by the self-regard of its victim.

An anonymous person writes (original post):

Private Eye (issue 1351) claims that Morrissey's contract with Penguin stipulated a condition of a minimum 24 books per order for shops - even small independent shops. And suggests that such practice is not the norm.

Books & Bookmen - site excerpt:

With Bookworm: "The case of Morrissey’s memoirs, published this week, suggests that dealing with pop stars turns normally mature and rational editors into panting, self-abasing teenage fans, prepared to offer or allow anything to their gods even if shame is the price. Not one but two top-flight publishers have been humiliated since it emerged that the former Smiths frontman had a sizeable typescript for sale…”

Last edited:
Hi Brummie Boy, I was just wondering when your opinion on Moz took a turn for the worse? I enjoy many of your posts. Thanks.

Re: Article: "Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 5

wish I could be as calm as you.... however I think he is a nutter.. so I refuse to read anymore of his posts or comment. Do not feed the animals so to speak

With all due respect, BrummieBoy has not violated the terms of service. He cannot legitimately be banned. And shouldn't be. His opinions are often controversial. He thinks outside the Mozbox. My advice? Ignore him. Or read his posts and don't let his opinions get under your skin. Or be open minded and consider his opposing views.

He is not harassing or stalking anyone. :)

Well then I suggest you ought to read the thread in the Pigsty forum opened by Kewpie regarding BrummieBoy's postings. There, Mr. BB threatens with no double meaning that he'll harrass, hurt, and ruin the lives of anyone who oppose his persona here and request a ban . If you still maintain that this kind of person (who pretends to love free "discussion" as long as it means spamming this site with his venom and threatening users aggressively along the way) should still post here freely, then it doesn't reflect well on you at all.
My advice? You don't have to always jump in and play the card of the outside thinker RB, defending the unconventional and the undefendable out of spite. It's tiring. Sometimes the majority IS right. being unique is to own views without maintaining a desired image and sadly, sometimes you tend to carry away with the image of the "independent thinker" in the sea of sheep.

wish I could be as calm as you.... however I think he is a nutter.. so I refuse to read anymore of his posts or comment. Do not feed the animals so to speak

That is fine. But it doesn't mean he should be banned. Just saying.

Well then I suggest you ought to read the thread in the Pigsty forum opened by Kewpie regarding BrummieBoy's postings. There, Mr. BB threatens with no double meaning that he'll harrass, hurt, and ruin the lives of anyone who oppose his persona here and request a ban.

That's just flannel. No-one takes it seriously. He's just playing internet hard man, which isn't easy with a pink avatar.

I had cross words with him last week, but only because he was being a pillock on the Lou Reed thread. Apart from that I don't have a problem with him. He certainly should not be banned - assuming he doesn't break the rules.*

Well then I suggest you ought to read the thread in the Pigsty forum opened by Kewpie regarding BrummieBoy's postings. There, Mr. BB threatens with no double meaning that he'll harrass, hurt, and ruin the lives of anyone who oppose his persona here and request a ban . If you still maintain that this kind of person (who pretends to love free "discussion" as long as it means spamming this site with his venom and threatening users aggressively along the way) should still post here freely, then it doesn't reflect well on you at all.
My advice? You don't have to always jump in and play the card of the outside thinker RB, defending the unconventional and the undefendable out of spite. It's tiring. Sometimes the majority IS right. being unique is to own views without maintaining a desired image and sadly, sometimes you tend to carry away with the image of the "independent thinker" in the sea of sheep.

I have read the posts in that thread. I do, however, have a feeling that you misread those posts. He was claiming that anonymous posters should not be under the illusion that they can harass him and his family on this site--and offsite--without repercussions. They are not, in fact, anonymous. All posts can be traced back to the real life person(s) who made the threats, if need be. Because he has friends in high-off places who are skilled at tracing such posts... and, are legitimately allowed to do such.

I could give a rat's ass if I am being judged negatively for defending his right to express his views. You guys are the ones harassing him. He can't make one post without being attacked by a hoard of hostile posters toeing the party line. You guys spend all your time here crafting retorts--mostly unsuccessfully. I have yet to read any insightful contributions from the lot of you.

Last edited:

Hi Brummie Boy, I was just wondering when your opinion on Moz took a turn for the worse? I enjoy many of your posts. Thanks.

it didn't. it hasn't. ask him. watch his eyes. he's fully aware he's been a bit of a slacker trollop. he knows Birmingham doesn't cut Manchester any slack whatsoever. we await his next episode with interest, but, y'know, we've got Sabbath, Shakespeare, Peaky Blinders: Mozchester is an amusing diversion, but we play the long game...we're the Second City, we're the invincible hidden culture, everyone else knows it, including Morrissey: he nicked his whole schtick from the salon/cafe society of Oasis Market and Moseley. I wonder what version of "Autobiography" will truthfully recount his visits to the real epicentre? Slept on New St station? Yeah, right...

- - - Updated - - -

yes, put me on Ignore. bye! don't slam the door on your face in your rush to leave, ok?

Doh! Dur brain..You've broken the TOS: what happens in The Pigsty stays in The Pigsty. You *might* get a time-out or an infraction. Or be let off, but STFU and answer the Pigsty challenge in the Pigsty. OK? Cheers! Request a ban on me till the cows come home. If DavidT caves in to the mob, I win: what's not to like?

Brummieboy and his biggest fan are winning. We're talking about them and not Morrissey.

We shall agree to disagree... how can I not love a Zeppelin fan :guitar:

I'd have thought that you'd be in favour of people opting out of the system BB, or have you gone all establishment on us? Or is it just when people do well enough financially to really get out of the system that you despise them?

I don't despise anyone, especially not a toubled ex 80s pop star who pretends to be an English Patriot yet openly boasts of fleeing to Ireland to avoid tax: P286 "my Irish social security card and my tax-exemption documents drop through the letter box". He wrote that career termination, not me.

Is he based in the Netherlands for tax now, like U2? Where are his companies registered? The Cayman Islands? Yes, he's opted out of the system like any other successful entrepreneur on the Costal del Sol. Am I supposed to admire that as hospitals and schools close? He hasn't got out of the system, he 's just played it for maximum personal advantage, at least in terms of personal taxation, as far as i can tell. Hey, Morrissey! When were you last domiciled for tax purposes in the UK? 85?

Hilarious! Not the most cognizant cookie in the barrel, are you? This whole tedious BB schtick is the most transparent ego-defence mechanism imaginable. But like all wannabe bullies, your ego is actually wafer-thin. That's why you troll the internet being abusive and antagonistic in a desperate attempt to boost your flaccid little prune of an ego.

Nothing wrong with stacking shelves, of course. But I seriously doubt BB is allowed near any sharp implements.

No, nothing you say seems incredible to anyone. But it just *might* be we know precisely what you are. An attention-seeking internet bully and an incredibly boring one at that.

Then put me on Ignore. Your opinions are of zero interest to me. It's no problem for me if you have no interest in what I write. No, really, I don't care. Do yourself a favour and resist replying. But you can't can you? Because "all you need is me debunking Morrissey" etc.

Nothing wrong with shelf stacking, just my view of what that wanker probably does despite what he says.

Happy to confirm: I dont' stack shelves in a supermarket, but have done as a youth, didn't find it demeaning. I'm rich, retired, recovered from serious health challenges, loved by my wife and family, friends, companion animal, a fine upstanding member of my community, engaged in numerous political and social projects, get more offers of hot sex than any living person could possibly accommodate, enjoy Morrissey's music and his car-crash life. Etc. Sorry, but I don't live in "Mom's Basement", own several properties, a huge portfolio of investments, and I'm one of the most successful spies/spooks in world history. Didn't have time for the pop star stuff, but doesn't matter as I've done more than all of them put together. "Elvis, are you out there somewhere? Living like a happy man?" Erm, yes, Kate, I am, now that you ask.

- - - Updated - - -

That's just flannel. No-one takes it seriously. He's just playing internet hard man, which isn't easy with a pink avatar.

I had cross words with him last week, but only because he was being a pillock on the Lou Reed thread. Apart from that I don't have a problem with him. He certainly should not be banned - assuming he doesn't break the rules.*

Have you seen "Deliverance"? *wink*

- - - Updated - - -

Brummieboy and his biggest fan are winning. We're talking about them and not Morrissey.

Your choice, I didn't ask anyone to discuss me, did I? So, put me on Ignore. I'm tired of your moaning. Have you read the book? Thought not. This thread is actually meant to be about the book, so: given you haven't read it, why are you even looking at it? *rollseyes*

I have read the posts in that thread. I do, however, have a feeling that you misread those posts. He was claiming that anonymous posters should not be under the illusion that they can harass him and his family on this site--and offsite--without repercussions. They are not, in fact, anonymous. All posts can be traced back to the real life person(s) who made the threats, if need be. Because he has friends in high-off places who are skilled at tracing such posts... and, are legitimately allowed to do such.

I could give a rat's ass if I am being judged negatively for defending his right to express his views. You guys are the ones harassing him. He can't make one post without being attacked by a hoard of hostile posters towing the party line. You guys spend all your time here crafting retorts--mostly unsuccessfully. I have yet to read any insightful contributions from the lot of you.

In his posting of his, he threatened the moderators as well. He chose words which displayed his course of action in this place more than you're implying. You have a right to defend his actions. However, I and many others have the right to express our concern regarding his behaviour. If you call my mere one post a harrassment then I have nothing to elaborate further. Clearly it's OK for you and BB to dissect, criticize and scrutinize people (not just Morrissey) in the name of "freedom of speech" but users who criticize BB's unacceptable behaviour should cease to complain. I assume "the lot of you" is anyone who doesn't cultivate a consistent image for you to imagine and dissect. Just proves my point, you're looking for the name of the user with the image he/she has created instead of reading the content and forming an opinion based on it solely. Even the Admin of the site agrees on the importance of annonymous users' contribution to discussion. Some users with a permanent name are not too shy to type obscene posts (see BB), so I can't see the superiority of regular users over annonymous users in any aspect, other than satisfying the crave of picturing the person who types the messages.

Doh! Dur brain..You've broken the TOS: what happens in The Pigsty stays in The Pigsty. You *might* get a time-out or an infraction. Or be let off, but STFU and answer the Pigsty challenge in the Pigsty. OK? Cheers! Request a ban on me till the cows come home. If DavidT caves in to the mob, I win: what's not to like?

I'm right then and you're evading the subject as expected.
I've never participated in the Pigsty nor I ever wish to in the future. I pity those who participate there solely to fight and tear people apart, and I feel sad that a sub forum like this exists at all in the first place . I'm usually a lurker but as you mentioned in another thread about you writing for the lurkers, I, as a lurker, gave my opinion about your disturbing behaviour. I myself don't intend to request a ban for you as I don't see this site as a place that wishes to host respectful discussions - almost each time I happen to visit the site I observe how users here curse each other, laughing at the expense of others and conduct in ways which they'd never do in real life.
I visit here because there are a few users who give insight in a thoughtful and respectful manner and can disagree without abusing others. I don't agree with a lot of what Morrissey says or the way he treats people in his autobiography (yes, I read all of it) but I find there are ways, respectful ways to express one's opinion or criticism and answer to users who think differently.

In his posting of his, he threatened the moderators as well. He chose words which displayed his course of action in this place more than you're implying. You have a right to defend his actions. However, I and many others have the right to express our concern regarding his behaviour. If you call my mere one post a harrassment then I have nothing to elaborate further. Clearly it's OK for you and BB to dissect, criticize and scrutinize people (not just Morrissey) in the name of "freedom of speech" but users who criticize BB's unacceptable behaviour should cease to complain. I assume "the lot of you" is anyone who doesn't cultivate a consistent image for you to imagine and dissect. Just proves my point, you're looking for the name of the user with the image he/she has created instead of reading the content and forming an opinion based on it solely. Even the Admin of the site agrees on the importance of annonymous users' contribution to discussion. Some users with a permanent name are not too shy to type obscene posts (see BB), so I can't see the superiority of regular users over annonymous users in any aspect, other than satisfying the crave of picturing the person who types the messages.

I meant, the lot of you, as in, those spending all their time arguing with Brummie rather than making positive contributions... like the ones you claim to place value in, yet don't offer up yourself. Where in my post did I say anything about anonymous posting/posters?

I meant, the lot of you, as in, those spending all their time arguing with Brummie rather than making positive contributions... like the ones you claim to place value in, yet don't offer up yourself. Where in my post did I say anything about anonymous posting/posters?

OK apologies then, I assumed you meant annonymous users since at the start of your post you talked about BB's position against annonymous harrasment but then right afterwards named my mere one post as so called harrasment just for expressing a concern.

I actually do offer contributions but I do so very rarely and I never get into arguements on the internet because it will never solve anything and people will never change their behaviour unless they acknowledge their negative conduct with human beings. Some users here don't realize they're not conducting with robots but with human being with feelings. Words have an everlasting effect on one's mind and heart and people here can deny how insults are meant nothing because it's the internet. However, they're fooling themselves, and harsh arguements can take its toll on most people just like if it were to happen in real life.
If everyone here knew how to respect each other, I would have gladly been an active user. But reality unfortunately is different.
I've expressed (on a one time rare occasion) my concern as BB's postings are unusual, even for this site's standards (!) in its cruel and threatening consistent manner. But now I realize that my effort is silly and in vain. Nothing will change.

OK apologies then, I assumed you meant annonymous users since at the start of your post you talked about BB's position against annonymous harrasment but then right afterwards named my mere one post as so called harrasment just for expressing a concern.

I actually do offer contributions but I do so very rarely and I never get into arguements on the internet because it will never solve anything and people will never change their behaviour unless they acknowledge their negative conduct with human beings. Some users here don't realize they're not conducting with robots but with human being with feelings. Words have an everlasting effect on one's mind and heart and people here can deny how insults are meant nothing because it's the internet. However, they're fooling themselves, and harsh arguements can take its toll on most people just like if it were to happen in real life.
If everyone here knew how to respect each other, I would have gladly been an active user. But reality unfortunately is different.
I've expressed (on a one time rare occasion) my concern as BB's postings are unusual, even for this site's standards (!) in its cruel and threatening consistent manner. But now I realize that my effort is silly and in vain. Nothing will change.

I agree with the statement in bold.

Let me share something I have learned recently. When a person posts under a user name, they claim an identity. When they share a pic of themselves in one of the threads, they become 'real'. When I share a PM or two with them, they become my friends. And guess what? I think twice, three times, before saying something hurtful to them. It doesn't mean I will sugarcoat my opinions. I don't. I still stay true to my values and ideals. But I am far less likely to be callous or cruel. Or call them a name. There are, of course, exceptions to this. But for the most part, those who are the most open, honest, and sincere are by far less likely to be trolled. We are a community. I actually like most of the people here. I look forward to reading their overnight posts when I wake and have my morning coffee. This is an argument for posting under one user name and not anonymously.

It is a shame that you feel you can't fit in. This place isn't for everyone. But you can't change it to fit your needs as an individual. It was here before you showed up. It is dynamic--capable of evolving and changing... but not overnight. And not by banning one outspoken person you find annoying.

There are so many other forums on the net. Ones which I probably would be interested in subject-wise... atheism, movies, cooking. But there is no place like Solo. I feel I belong here. I have a history. Of course, I have become disenchanted in the past. And frustrated. And I have had my conflicts with users here. But the dust usually settles. And I lick my wounds, or take a break. Then rejoin the fun.

I honestly don't see why people are getting so worked up about Brummie. I guess what he writes/says just does not annoy me. I take what I like and discard the rest. It is like separating the wheat from the chaff. But we all have things that get our goat. I can't stand irrational posts about holistic medicine. That annoys the crap out of me. But I ignore it. Don't read the posts. Probably won't make friends with the people who post in those threads.

You can censor what you read. Just as you can censor what you write.

It is up to you. It is your experience. You can make your visit here enjoyable or make it stressful and hostile.

Last edited:

I agree with the statement in bold.

Let me share something I have learned recently. When a person posts under a user name, they claim an identity. When they share a pic of themselves in one of the threads, they become 'real'. When I share a PM or two with them, they become my friends. And guess what? I think twice, three times, before saying something hurtful to them. It doesn't mean I will sugarcoat my opinions. I don't. I still stay true to my values and ideals. But I am far less likely to be callous or cruel. Or call them a name. There are, of course, exceptions to this. But for the most part, those who are the most open, honest, and sincere are by far less likely to be trolled. We are a community. I actually like most of the people here. I look forward to reading their overnight posts when I wake and have my morning coffee. This is an argument for posting under one user name and not anonymously.

It is a shame that you feel you can't fit in. This place isn't for everyone. But you can't change it to fit your needs as an individual. It was here before you showed up. It is dynamic--capable of evolving and changing... but not overnight. And not by banning one outspoken person you find annoying.

There are so many other forums on the net. Ones which I probably would be interested in subject-wise... atheism, movies, cooking. But there is no place like Solo. I feel I belong here. I have a history. Of course, I have become disenchanted in the past. And frustrated. And I have had my conflicts with users here. But the dust usually settles. And I lick my wounds, or take a break. Then rejoin the fun.

I honestly don't see why people are getting so worked up about Brummie. I guess what he writes/says just does not annoy me. I take what I like and discard the rest. It is like separating the wheat from the chaff. But we all have things that get our goat. I can't stand irrational posts about holistic medicine. That annoys the crap out of me. But I ignore it. Don't read the posts. Probably won't make friends with the people who post in those threads.

You can censor what you read. Just as you can censor what you write.

It is up to you. It is your experience. You can make your visit here enjoyable or make it stressful and hostile.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts RB :)
I agree with you how creating an identity can make the community more intimate yet I believe being so open under the site's current policy makes one very vulnerable and open to hurtful attacks (by both regular users and annonymous) which wouldn't have been accepted in most communities I'm familiar with. So Solo is indeed unique but not in a positive light necessarily. I applaud you for being strong enough to dust the harsh behaviour of some users, but I, for one, know that I (and sure many others) cannot operate in such hostile environment. It says it all that most people on this forum are actually guests and not regular users. Each thread is like a big gladiator fight. Indeed progress can't be made overnight, but under the current forum rules, there is no door to enter in order to create something better for the community. This site hasn't changed one bit in the way people communicate with each other for ages. And I can't see it changing, even with the good intentions of some.

I think BB's posting saddens and scare me more than they annoy me. If he were to post his thoughts just like he was talking in real life I would have no issue. But he does it on purpose and admits his real life conduct is different than the image he's created. Which means he has a choice. He can be respectful. He just chooses to upset people and threaten them. Why does he enjoy it? I have no idea but I believe it ought to stop for the sake of users here who are afraid to participate in a discussion because of one dominant user who wraps one thread after another by his little keyboard finger.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom