"Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 5

Autobiography by Morrissey - The Sunday Times (subscription required). Link posted by Uncleskinny (original post / excerpt scan).

by AA Gill Published: 27 October 2013

The failures of teachers, the ingratitude of fellow musicians. There’s no slight too small that isn’t rehashed in Morrissey’s self-pitying memoir

Excerpt:

There are many pop autobiographies that shouldn't be written. Some to protect the unwary reader, and some to protect the author. In Morrissey's case, he has managed both. This is a book that cries out like one of his maudlin ditties to be edited. But were an editor to start, there would be no stopping. It is a heavy tome, utterly devoid of insight, warmth, wisdom or likeability. It is a potential firelighter of vanity, self-pity and logorrhoeic dullness. Putting it in Penguin Classics doesn't diminish Aristotle or Homer or Tolstoy; it just roundly mocks Morrissey, and this is a humiliation constructed by the self-regard of its victim.

An anonymous person writes (original post):

Private Eye (issue 1351) claims that Morrissey's contract with Penguin stipulated a condition of a minimum 24 books per order for shops - even small independent shops. And suggests that such practice is not the norm.

Books & Bookmen - site excerpt:

With Bookworm: "The case of Morrissey’s memoirs, published this week, suggests that dealing with pop stars turns normally mature and rational editors into panting, self-abasing teenage fans, prepared to offer or allow anything to their gods even if shame is the price. Not one but two top-flight publishers have been humiliated since it emerged that the former Smiths frontman had a sizeable typescript for sale…”

Last edited:
I don't think Brummie can help himself, feel the need to be punished? He attacks woman a lot for no reason, himself. Is this what is making you happy? Oh, maybe you don't want to be? You have so much right now, everything is going well. Make yourself a HOME somewhere, sweetie.

Re: Article: "Autobiography" by Morrissey - reviews and media - part 5

Thanks for sharing your thoughts RB :)
I agree with you how creating an identity can make the community more intimate yet I believe being so open under the site's current policy makes one very vulnerable and open to hurtful attacks (by both regular users and annonymous) which wouldn't have been accepted in most communities I'm familiar with. So Solo is indeed unique but not in a positive light necessarily. I applaud you for being strong enough to dust the harsh behaviour of some users, but I, for one, know that I (and sure many others) cannot operate in such hostile environment.

It is a risk being open and allowing yourself to be vulnerable. I have been honest and candid in my blog for over nine years, where I have revealed much about my inner landscape. Posting on the forum is just a natural extension of that. I have exposed myself. But I feel there have been rewards for doing so. Catharsis and friendship, to name two.

It says it all that most people on this forum are actually guests and not regular users. Each thread is like a big gladiator fight. Indeed progress can't be made overnight, but under the current forum rules, there is no door to enter in order to create something better for the community. This site hasn't changed one bit in the way people communicate with each other for ages. And I can't see it changing, even with the good intentions of some.

I don't think that is the case. Especially not in the Off-topic forum. There are plenty of registered users--regulars that make Solo what it is--a community of people from all over the world who are united by their love of Moz's music, but who also have other interests and would like to share them with others. It's true that there are a lot of guests and anonymous postings in the General forum. Many are probably registered users. Some are trolling. Others are afraid to post under their user name. Their reasoning may or may not be sound.

I think BB's posting saddens and scare me more than they annoy me. If he were to post his thoughts just like he was talking in real life I would have no issue. But he does it on purpose and admits his real life conduct is different than the image he's created. Which means he has a choice. He can be respectful. He just chooses to upset people and threaten them. Why does he enjoy it? I have no idea but I believe it ought to stop for the sake of users here who are afraid to participate in a discussion because of one dominant user who wraps one thread after another by his little keyboard finger.

I wouldn't worry about BB. He has his opinions. Some may be genuine. Others may be a part of some persona. He is here because he has free time and finds this place amusing--at the expense of others, some--such as yourself--might say.

If Brummie were to leave someone else would step in to take his place. Brummie has his good qualities. He is not vulgar (for the most part), is not racist or sexist, is well read, and occasionally says something profound--like his insight into gender. Like I said, separate the wheat from the chaff.

It is a risk being open and allowing yourself to be vulnerable. I have been honest and candid in my blog for over nine years, where I have revealed much about my inner landscape. Posting on the forum is just a natural extension of that. I have exposed myself. But I feel there have been rewards for doing so. Catharsis and friendship, to name two.

I don't think that is the case. Especially not in the Off-topic forum. There are plenty of registered users--regulars that make Solo what it is--a community of people from all over the world who are united by their love of Moz's music, but who also have other interests and would like to share them with others. It's true that there are a lot of guests and anonymous postings in the General forum. Many are probably registered users. Some are trolling. Others are afraid to post under their user name. Their reasoning may or may not be sound.

I wouldn't worry about BB. He has his opinions. Some may be genuine. Others may be a part of some persona. He is here because he has free time and finds this place amusing--at the expense of others, some--such as yourself--might say.

If Brummie were to leave someone else would step in to take his place. Brummie has his good qualities. He is not vulgar (for the most part), is not racist or sexist, is well read, and occasionally says something profound--like his insight into gender. Like I said, separate the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks RB, you've definitely given me plenty of food for thought. I hope one day I'd be able to participate here as a regular user and contribute more frequently, I agree there are good people here. I guess you need to have certain qualities in order to be strong against the storms which pass through the threads.

Thanks RB, you've definitely given me plenty of food for thought. I hope one day I'd be able to participate here as a regular user and contribute more frequently, I agree there are good people here. I guess you need to have certain qualities in order to be strong against the storms which pass through the threads.

I hope you do. You seem like a nice person. :)

In his posting of his, he threatened the moderators as well. He chose words which displayed his course of action in this place more than you're implying. You have a right to defend his actions. However, I and many others have the right to express our concern regarding his behaviour. If you call my mere one post a harrassment then I have nothing to elaborate further. Clearly it's OK for you and BB to dissect, criticize and scrutinize people (not just Morrissey) in the name of "freedom of speech" but users who criticize BB's unacceptable behaviour should cease to complain. I assume "the lot of you" is anyone who doesn't cultivate a consistent image for you to imagine and dissect. Just proves my point, you're looking for the name of the user with the image he/she has created instead of reading the content and forming an opinion based on it solely. Even the Admin of the site agrees on the importance of annonymous users' contribution to discussion. Some users with a permanent name are not too shy to type obscene posts (see BB), so I can't see the superiority of regular users over annonymous users in any aspect, other than satisfying the crave of picturing the person who types the messages.

I'm right then and you're evading the subject as expected.

erm, no, you're wrong: I don't discuss The Pigsty outside it's borders, as that's against the site's Terms of Service.

I've never participated in the Pigsty nor I ever wish to in the future. I pity those who participate there solely to fight and tear people apart, and I feel sad that a sub forum like this exists at all in the first place .

Clearly you have participated by a) reading my posts there b) by misunderstanding them and then attempting to broadcast your lack of understanding here. You feel sad if you want to: am I supposed to care what you think?

I'm usually a lurker but as you mentioned in another thread about you writing for the lurkers, I, as a lurker, gave my opinion about your disturbing behaviour. I myself don't intend to request a ban for you

well, that's good because you don't 'request' a ban like it's a fast food order and the site proprietor is hardly likely to destroy his own credibility because you read comments by someone who 'disturbs' you, rather than just putting them on Ignore and getting on with your, no doubt fascinating life.

as I don't see this site as a place that wishes to host respectful discussions - almost each time I happen to visit the site I observe how users here curse each other, laughing at the expense of others and conduct in ways which they'd never do in real life.

that's a good summary of Autobiography!

I visit here because there are a few users who give insight in a thoughtful and respectful manner and can disagree without abusing others. I don't agree with a lot of what Morrissey says or the way he treats people in his autobiography (yes, I read all of it) but I find there are ways, respectful ways to express one's opinion or criticism and answer to users who think differently.

Well, then, go and tell Morrissey how to reform his etiquette and potty mouth. I'm aware other users think differently. I read their comments. I don't feel any need to get angry or upset because someone likes something I think is painfully bad.

I'm not interested in what you think about me. You have the option to put me on Ignore. Now, stop talking about me. You can't have it both ways: claim you dislike my demeanour, attitude, whatever: yet still lap it up to take bogus offence at. I don't give a damn about your offence mongering. And I don't give a damn about what any user, moderator or site proprietor thinks either. If I transgress the TOS, I expect to be informed via the PM email within this forum. Other than that: I'm here for me and for a number of ex-cult members whose mental illness as 'fans' caused me to question every single assumption that "fame" rests upon. I have a life, it doesn't revolve around hating anybody, and I am a seriously gifted writer. I think that's why I annoy so many people here, because I am a far superior wordsmith than Morrissey. Mostly, I don't spend that much time here at all, I just think on my feet, type fast and then move on.

Your 'offence mongering' is an insincere and mendacious attempt at censorship through emotional dysregulation. I'm not responsible for you choosing to be upset: you are. Put me on Ignore.

Last edited:
Watch who put the M in Manchester again. Subway/Everyday is like Sunday shows a really sweet side of Morrissey, he says thank you after every song. Who couldnt see the beauty in this. When he talks to the crowd, etc. Do you remember?
/

Well, then, go and tell Morrissey how to reform his etiquette and potty mouth. I'm aware other users think differently. I read their comments. I don't feel any need to get angry or upset because someone likes something I think is painfully bad.

I'm not interested in what you think about me. You have the option to put me on Ignore. Now, stop talking about me. You can't have it both ways: claim you dislike my demeanour, attitude, whatever: yet still lap it up to take bogus offence at. I don't give a damn about your offence mongering. And I don't give a damn about what any user, moderator or site proprietor thinks either. If I transgress the TOS, I expect to be informed via the PM email within this forum. Other than that: I'm here for me and for a number of ex-cult members whose mental illness as 'fans' caused me to question every single assumption that "fame" rests upon. I have a life, it doesn't revolve around hating anybody, and I am a seriously gifted writer. I think that's why I annoy so many people here, because I am a far superior wordsmith than Morrissey. Mostly, I don't spend that much time here at all, I just think on my feet, type fast and then move on.

Your 'offence mongering' is an insincere and mendacious attempt at censorship through emotional dysregulation. I'm not responsible for you choosing to be upset: you are. Put me on Ignore.

Yet more shite from Toss Bag Bummie

I don't want my f***ing musical Heroes to be perfect upstanding moral citizens. I want them to do things their way and f*** shit up. Too much politics on this site, you all need to chill the f*** out and realise it just a f***ing book.

erm, no, you're wrong: I don't discuss The Pigsty outside it's borders, as that's against the site's Terms of Service.

Clearly you have participated by a) reading my posts there b) by misunderstanding them and then attempting to broadcast your lack of understanding here. You feel sad if you want to: am I supposed to care what you think?

The Pigsty is a horrible place. I only checked that forum to see if there are redeeming qualities in your posts. I've seen how you've raised hell in the general forum and because of your dominance, I suspected there would be a thread about you (and I was correct) - I thought maybe you'd explain your behaviour there and show some positive characteristics to counter people's criticisms on your posts... But clearly I was wrong and you acted even worse there. Not that you should care but I definitely now regret checking the Pigsty forum two days ago, it's a toxic place.

well, that's good because you don't 'request' a ban like it's a fast food order and the site proprietor is hardly likely to destroy his own credibility because you read comments by someone who 'disturbs' you, rather than just putting them on Ignore and getting on with your, no doubt fascinating life.

I said I wouldn't request a ban on you since you, yourself, had used the same phrasing of my pervious post by saying "Request a ban on me till the cows come home " - so the "fast food order" phrasing seemed acceptable to you as well. Also, a request is a one sided demand which might not be complied so I can't really see the problem with the use of the word itself.

that's a good summary of Autobiography!

Regarding Autobiography, If you read carefully I did say there were a lot of things I disagreed with Morrissey and the way he treated some people. I would have gladly discussed with you about his autobiography but as you've repeatedly showed how you don't care how I feel regarding this subject or any subject for that matter, and can't help but being rude to me- I don't want to waste your time.

You're always talking about the Ignore button, but I must inform you if you're not aware that it doesn't work for guests, and I'm definitely not going to become a registered user for the sole purpose of pushing the Ignore button, with all due respect.

If you notice, I did stop complaining about you after corresponding with RB and I agreed with the points she made. My complaining was a one time occassion and I definitely do not intend to bother you any more, it was silly of me and a mistake in judgement. It's really up to you, and can only come from you, the change of behaviour.

You can believe what you want, but my feelings regarding this subject are real and sincere. I'm not for censorship at all, but I do support phrasing the content of posts in order to create serious and respectful discussion for other posters and the subject. It may seem bizarre to you but I do care how people write to each other on the internet, because every one of us has feelings and want to be treated with respect as a human being. Sometimes if I read something upsetting on this site (not necessarily to do with Moz) I avoid visiting this site for a couple of months.

I really don't want to fight with you anymore and I apologise. I wish you all the best, and I wish all the best for this community - may better days come and people will have fruitful discussions, exchanging thoughts and ideas with tolerance and understanding.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom