B-sides/unreleased stuff

• Thread starter Deleted member 29227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29227

So, I've pulled together 31 tracks of what I'm calling 'unreleased' Moz tracks. Whether the name reflects reality is immaterial, I just wanted to call it something, although I'm sure there'll be a comment or two from the purists...all welcome. Some are, as far as I know, genuinely unreleased, whereas some are known b-sides, others are covers.

It includes, in some cases, double entries as, in some cases, there are different versions available courtesy of Jackpots/FWD et al, for which I'm sure we're all grateful. I just wanted to put up the list to see if there's anything obvious which I've missed & really should be included, according to the great & the good on here.

I don't want to go to the lengths which Jackpots has gone to. Ignoring NHS, his efforts on My Beloved Alcoholic Saint are more than impressive but I don't have his level of skill, patience, or frankly, as much spare time as he seems to have [last comment being dry humour ;)].

Run time is c. 1hr:45mins, which is perfect timing if I'm out doing a 6 mile hike/hilly walk or something. So any comments/suggestions, please drop 'em here & I'll chew over. Thanks.

01 Kit
02 Old 'billy Tune (unused Alain Whyte demo)
03 The Kid's a Looker (Studio In Session)
04 Safe Warm Lancashire Home
05 Satellite Of Love (Nobel Peace Prize performance)
06 Striptease With A Difference
07 You Must Please Remember (Qonox edit)
08 The Bed Took Fire
09 Born to Hang (first leak)
10 Get Back To The Ghetto (Ganglord demo)
11 Trash (Pacific Amphitheater live b-side)
12 You Must Please Remember
13 Striptease With A Difference (alternate mix)
14 Let The Right One Slip In (alternate mix)
15 Born To Hang
16 It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small (early version)
17 Mexico
18 I Am Two People
19 You Say You Don't Love Me (Wireless 02 fest live)
20 The Public Image
21 Noise is the Best Revenge (Janice Long session)
22 I'm Playing Easy To Get (Janice Long session)
23 By The Time I Get To Wherever I'm Going
24 Blue Dreamers Eyes
25 A Song From Under The Floorboards
26 No One Can Hold A Candle To You
27 Action Is My Middle Name
28 The Slum Mums
29 People Are The Same Everywhere (Nobel Peace Prize performance)
30 Subway Train,Munich Air Disaster 1958 (live)
31 November The Second

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite a few of these HAVE been released.

15 Born To Hang
17 Mexico
18 I Am Two People
25 A Song From Under The Floorboards
26 No One Can Hold A Candle To You
27 Action Is My Middle Name
28 The Slum Mums

That's just at first glance

Since you're including cover versions I'd maybe suggest adding Human Being? It was released as a b-side to You Have Killed Me but was never compiled on an album (except on the digital edition of Swords, much like The Slum Mums).

Since you're including cover versions I'd maybe suggest adding Human Being? It was released as a b-side to You Have Killed Me but was never compiled on an album (except on the digital edition of Swords, much like The Slum Mums).

Yeah thanks...I had/have that on my reserve list, same as Street Life (live version) but chose not to add them at the time as they were a bit weak.
I'll mull. There's also Moon Over Kentucky...but I just don't like it.
To Give Is The Reason I Live is one I missed but am just playing it through to see if it stacks up...edit: no, it doesn't, I'll pass.

Yeah thanks...I had/have that on my reserve list, same as Street Life (live version) but chose not to add them at the time as they were a bit weak.
I'll mull. There's also Moon Over Kentucky...but I just don't like it.
To Give Is The Reason I Live is one I missed but am just playing it through to see if it stacks up...edit: no, it doesn't, I'll pass.
Fair enough. I was just looking at the "status" of the songs on your list and Human Being came to mind as similar.
Whether you consider a cover good or not is subjective of course. Personally I prefer both Human Being and Street Life to A Song From Under The Floorboards but maybe that's because I'm a huge Magazine fan and always thought Morrissey's voice and singing style doesn't fit the song at all.

Anyway, I like your selection.

Anyway, I like your selection.

Thanks. I don't think there's much scope to add much else, so about done I guess.

At some point, my next project is going to be based on track 'tempo': so looking at Moz complete discography, one of upbeat/fast Moz tracks, one of slow/sluggish tempo songs, and maybe one for mid-way tempo.

So in an ideal world, rather than review each track I'm looking out for some tech app which gives me a 'tempo of track' readout. Or maybe I can just ask people on here for their thoughts? Might be actually quicker.

E.g. slow say 1-4 (Safe Warm Lancashire Home, Mexico pace), then mid say 5-7 (Ganglord, Blue Dreamers Eyes), and fast say 8-10 (Hard to walk tall faster version, Born to Hang, Let The Right One Slip In)).

Obsessive I know & variation on the same music theme (Moz) but it's a slow burn task...might make for interesting listening, I don't know.

PS. Did you listen to Mr. Reynold's remix thing he put together? Very good, it's in the bootleg section on here.

Obsessive I know & variation on the same music theme (Moz) but it's a slow burn task...might make for interesting listening, I don't know.

"Obsessive" is my middle name when it comes to my special interests like Morrissey, so I get this.

At some point, my next project is going to be based on track 'tempo': so looking at Moz complete discography, one of upbeat/fast Moz tracks, one of slow/sluggish tempo songs, and maybe one for mid-way tempo.

So in an ideal world, rather than review each track I'm looking out for some tech app which gives me a 'tempo of track' readout. Or maybe I can just ask people on here for their thoughts? Might be actually quicker.

There's different ways of reading out the tempo of a song (all more or less accurate). You can use the "Beat Finder" tool in Audacity for example or use an online tool like this one to count the bpm: http://www.beatsperminuteonline.com/

PS. Did you listen to Mr. Reynold's remix thing he put together? Very good, it's in the bootleg section on here.

Yes, I did. I liked some of it, not a huge fan of remixes in general but it was still interesting to listen to. I also started listening to his album themed compilations on YouTube. Interesting take.

"Obsessive" is my middle name when it comes to my special interests like Morrissey, so I get this.

There's different ways of reading out the tempo of a song (all more or less accurate). You can use the "Beat Finder" tool in Audacity for example or use an online tool like this one to count the bpm: http://www.beatsperminuteonline.com/

Yes, I did. I liked some of it, not a huge fan of remixes in general but it was still interesting to listen to. I also started listening to his album themed compilations on YouTube. Interesting take.

Sorry should have said the Mr. R thing was the I'm Not My Type...remixes

Sorry should have said the Mr. R thing was the I'm Not My Type...remixes
Yes, I'm aware. That's the one I was referring to. Along with his "Album Suite".

'Scuse me. Where's the download link, please?

Colin depends on what you're looking for...the Mr. Reynolds stuff is in the bootleg section.
I haven't uploaded my 'Unreleased' one as I never actually intended to, & just did it for myself.
All those tracks are on here, again in the bootleg section.

So, based on tempo, solely judged by ear & without the aid of any tech, I've split all the tracks into 3 categories:
Slow, Medium, Fast.
Here's the Slow category in A-Z.

SLOW
1All The Young People Must Fall In Love (single)
2Ambitious Outsiders
3Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
4Asian Rut
5At Last I Am Born
6Because Of My Poor Education
7Bengali In Platforms
8Brow Of My Beloved (single)
9Come Back To Camden
10Cosmic Dancer
11Dear God Please Help Me
12Drag The River
13Driving Your Girlfriend Home
14El Cóndor Pasa - cover Paul Simon
15Friday Mourning
16He Knows I'd Love To See Him
17Hold On To Your Friends (single)
18Home Is A Question Mark
19(I'm) The End Of The Family Line
20I Bury The Living
21I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
22I Will See You In Far-Off Places
23I'd Love To
24I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now
25I'm Not A Man
26I'm Not Sorry
27In Your Lap
28Interlude (single)
29Israel
30It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small (early version)
31It's Over (single) - cover Roy Orbison
32Late Night, Maudlin Street
33Little Man, What Now?
34Margaret On The Guillotine
35Michael's Bones
36Moonriver - cover Andy Williams
37Morning Starship (single) - cover Jobriath
38Mountjoy
39Munich Air Disaster 1958
40Mute Witness
41Never Again Will I Be A Twin
42Oboe Concerto
43Oh Phoney
44Oh Well, I'll Never Learn
45Papa Jack
46Safe, Warm Lancashire Home
47Satellite Of Love (single)
48Scandinavia
49Seasick, Yet Still Docked
50Skin Storm - cover Bradford
51Smiler With Knife
52Some Say I Got Devil - cover Melanie Safka
53Sorrow Will Come In The End
54Stay As You Are
55Sweetie-Pie
56Teenage Dad On His Estate
57That's Entertainment - cover The Jam
58The Edges Are No Longer Parallel
59The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel
60The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye
61The Lazy Sunbathers
62The Never-Played Symphonies
63The Public Image
64The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
65There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends
66This Is Not Your Country
67This Song Doesn't End When It's Over
68To Give (The Reason I Live)
69To Me You Are A Work Of Art
70Treat Me Like A Human Being
71Trouble Loves Me
72Used To Be A Sweet Boy
73We'll Let You Know
74When You Close Your Eyes - cover Carly Simon
75When You Open Your Legs
76Wide To Receive
77Will Never Marry
78World Peace Is None Of Your Business (single)
79Yes, I Am Blind
80You Know I Couldn't Last
81You Should Have Been Nice To Me
82You Were Good In Your Time
83You've Had Her

This was already done. It was called the Never Played Symphonies and went on for years here.

This was already done. It was called the Never Played Symphonies and went on for years here.

It was Never HEARD Symphonies as far as I can tell, & which the OP mentions & credits.
This looks something different tho to me, more a personal project. Did you read the OP?
No.

So, based on tempo, solely judged by ear & without the aid of any tech, I've split all the tracks into 3 categories:
Slow, Medium, Fast.
Here's the Slow category in A-Z.

SLOW
1All The Young People Must Fall In Love (single)
2Ambitious Outsiders
3Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
4Asian Rut
5At Last I Am Born
6Because Of My Poor Education
7Bengali In Platforms
8Brow Of My Beloved (single)
9Come Back To Camden
10Cosmic Dancer
11Dear God Please Help Me
12Drag The River
13Driving Your Girlfriend Home
14El Cóndor Pasa - cover Paul Simon
15Friday Mourning
16He Knows I'd Love To See Him
17Hold On To Your Friends (single)
18Home Is A Question Mark
19(I'm) The End Of The Family Line
20I Bury The Living
21I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
22I Will See You In Far-Off Places
23I'd Love To
24I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now
25I'm Not A Man
26I'm Not Sorry
27In Your Lap
28Interlude (single)
29Israel
30It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small (early version)
31It's Over (single) - cover Roy Orbison
32Late Night, Maudlin Street
33Little Man, What Now?
34Margaret On The Guillotine
35Michael's Bones
36Moonriver - cover Andy Williams
37Morning Starship (single) - cover Jobriath
38Mountjoy
39Munich Air Disaster 1958
40Mute Witness
41Never Again Will I Be A Twin
42Oboe Concerto
43Oh Phoney
44Oh Well, I'll Never Learn
45Papa Jack
46Safe, Warm Lancashire Home
47Satellite Of Love (single)
48Scandinavia
49Seasick, Yet Still Docked
50Skin Storm - cover Bradford
51Smiler With Knife
52Some Say I Got Devil - cover Melanie Safka
53Sorrow Will Come In The End
54Stay As You Are
55Sweetie-Pie
56Teenage Dad On His Estate
57That's Entertainment - cover The Jam
58The Edges Are No Longer Parallel
59The Girl From Tel-Aviv Who Wouldn't Kneel
60The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye
61The Lazy Sunbathers
62The Never-Played Symphonies
63The Public Image
64The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
65There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends
66This Is Not Your Country
67This Song Doesn't End When It's Over
68To Give (The Reason I Live)
69To Me You Are A Work Of Art
70Treat Me Like A Human Being
71Trouble Loves Me
72Used To Be A Sweet Boy
73We'll Let You Know
74When You Close Your Eyes - cover Carly Simon
75When You Open Your Legs
76Wide To Receive
77Will Never Marry
78World Peace Is None Of Your Business (single)
79Yes, I Am Blind
80You Know I Couldn't Last
81You Should Have Been Nice To Me
82You Were Good In Your Time
83You've Had Her

I guess you could add some of the newer tracks from IANADOAC now there's a leaked version available on here?

It was Never HEARD Symphonies as far as I can tell, & which the OP mentions & credits.
This looks something different tho to me, more a personal project. Did you read the OP?
No.

I don’t care. Lol.

Its a rehash. Period.

Speaking of the Never Heard Symphonies, when did we last stop updating it? Was it around the time the LIHS deluxe version came out?

If anyone is feeling ambitious we should probably make a new volume and add all the stuff that’s missing, including live versions of Smiths tracks to Nothing Ever Dies.

I have all the previous ones Mr Jackpots put together saved on an external HD. @Famous when dead - can you check what the most recent update was and give us an idea of how much new material we need to add and categorise? It’s too good of a project to let gather dust!

Speaking of the Never Heard Symphonies, when did we last stop updating it? Was it around the time the LIHS deluxe version came out?

If anyone is feeling ambitious we should probably make a new volume and add all the stuff that’s missing, including live versions of Smiths tracks to Nothing Ever Dies.

I have all the previous ones Mr Jackpots put together saved on an external HD. @Famous when dead - can you check what the most recent update was and give us an idea of how much new material we need to add and categorise? It’s too good of a project to let gather dust!
The static linked version was the last.
It got a bit 'too many cooks' at one point and that, the heated debate about what goes where and the amount of incomplete stuff getting ripped via YT (and being passed of as 320 when it is just under 128 or lower) and my own reluctance to use YT rips at times coupled with not wanting to step on toes all = little happening.
I've kept abreast of most of the stuff and would also like to see the NHS prior to the era one be hosted by mega as it would reduce the things I get requests about (as the 2 versions combined covers practically everything).
If people can come to a concensus and decide how things should be ordered, I'm happy to do my bit as per normal and chip in bits. I'd like to make a pinned post that guides people to the right bits they want and update the links in general, but 3 or 4 people making similar archives or arguments or over-enthusiastic encoding / unasked for help whilst trying to sort will probably ensure things stay in limbo.
I hope that doesn't sound too negative, it was just meant to be a realistic summary of the situation.
Regards,
FWD.

^ If Mr Jackpots wants to resume the way he was doing it I’d be happy with that. Otherwise I’d be cool if you and myself get back on board with it later in the week. I’m easy either way. Cheers for keeping abreast of where we left off and what needs to be added!

Back
Top Bottom