Back On The Chain Gang - Morrissey Central; Recorded in LA, musicians credited, Chiccarelli produced

Solomon Walker playing bass on BOTCG
And Roger Manning on keyboards...

Back On The Chain Gang - Morrissey Central
April 2, 2018

42719_back_on_the_chain_gang.png

Morrissey has concluded recording at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles for Back On The Chain Gang. The song was written by Chrissie Hynde and was released by The Pretenders in 1982 when it reached number 17 in the UK, and number 5 in the USA.Joe Chiccarelli has produced Morrissey’s Back On The Chain Gang, and the musicians are: Jesse Tobias (guitars), Solomon Walker (bass), Matthew Walker (drums), with Roger Manning on keyboards.Morrissey is hoping for a summer release for the single.
Morrissey is presently number 1 with My Love, I’d Do Anything For You, and number 4 with Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage in the UK vinyl singles chart.

Posted by Famous when dead:

Source appears to be an uncredited war time picture:

42720_back_on_the_chain_gang_original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Boz’s Tweets from March 18 can be certainly be read cryptically. I hope he writes a book, although I think Alain would be more open to dishing out the dirt from the inner sanctum.

And the cover is terrible.

I'm happy the song's getting a release. I just received My Love, I’d Do Anything For You vinyl yesterday. Bring on more! Side note, from the photo I'm getting a b-side vibe of Seasick Yet Still Docked :)

Last edited:
Boz left Mexico on the 24th of March (the day after the rest). I know he's a workaholic, but give him a break perhaps?
In those 9 days he's been to a funeral, seen a gig and manned a shop - all publicly available info. If you study his social media links that hard, you will see he is booked in April for Los Angeles and Las Vegas with a further gig in Nashville in May. All of which have been known about and are preexisting arrangements - exactly like him leaving the end of the LIHS session to tavel to Japan for a pre-booked appearance (after all his parts were recorded - as Joe took the masters to France thereafter for mixing).
I think, exactly like other band members have been seen to be doing: he's entitled to do whatever he likes after a successful tour. Their social media doesn't indicate the behaviour of someone who's left the band (as ridiculously warped and rumoured to death here) - is benefit of the doubt so unfashionable these days?
Regards,
FWD.

Hm, but you have to admit that it‘s strange that Boz didn‘t appaer at the latest recording in LA. After 27 years it‘s the first time! Also strange is the missing of Mando and Gustavo, both wrote music for LIHS. On the other hand, maybe this LA session is a one of thing - and it‘s only a cover.
Recording the second half of the next album (as Joe C indicated in Feb 2018) with different musicians would be even more strange though.

Hm, but you have to admit that it‘s strange that Boz didn‘t appaer at the latest recording in LA. After 27 years it‘s the first time! Also strange is the missing of Mando and Gustavo, both wrote music for LIHS. On the other hand, maybe this LA session is a one of thing - and it‘s only a cover.
Recording the second half of the next album (as Joe C indicated in Feb 2018) with different musicians would be even more strange though.
I totally appreciate what you are saying.
Until I see more evidence, I'd stick with sheer logistical issues and not enter the realms of 'strange' too much ;) (cue Twilight Zone theme).
The man can't be in 2 places at once and perhaps Moz was just being decent and non-demanding by acknowledging family/other commitments - perhaps the same with Mando? Gustavo is an enigma as he's completely silent - so no theories for him.
That said, Mando is the more interesting of the 3 as he's been closest - being less than a few miles away and doesn't have 5,300 miles as an excuse.
The odd cloud Solomon left under with his 'compassionate leave' and "black plague" were dissected here ad nauseum and possibly more was made of it if he is now in the vicinity of a studio with Moz & his brother again. Who knows!?
Regards,
FWD.

not that much of a surprise as bozzs is doing concerts with his rockabilly stuff,and you never mentioned Gustavo,they obviously weren't available at short notice.

Boz left Mexico on the 24th of March (the day after the rest). I know he's a workaholic, but give him a break perhaps?
In those 9 days he's been to a funeral, seen a gig and manned a shop - all publicly available info. If you study his social media links that hard, you will see he is booked in April for Los Angeles and Las Vegas with a further gig in Nashville in May. All of which have been known about and are preexisting arrangements - exactly like him leaving the end of the LIHS session to tavel to Japan for a pre-booked appearance (after all his parts were recorded - as Joe took the masters to France thereafter for mixing).
I think, exactly like other band members have been seen to be doing: he's entitled to do whatever he likes after a successful tour. Their social media doesn't indicate the behaviour of someone who's left the band (as ridiculously warped and rumoured to death here) - is benefit of the doubt so unfashionable these days?
Regards,
FWD.

I suppose my confusion lies within the fact that 1) He seems in an awful rush to record a track that he "hopes for a summer release" for. "Chain Gang" is a simple song and one the band has been playing live for months now. They have it down, and it would take literally hours to complete - they had to record it now as opposed to waiting until Boz, etc. were available? And 2) earlier this week, I was revisiting the situation when Gustavo collapsed, and the "show could not go on" because the band were brothers, and they love each other. But when it's a Pretenders cover, hoo-boy, gotta slap that together pronto.

Of course in Morrissey's world everything happens for a reason.
It will most likely nog be a conincidence that Boz is missing from the recording.
I would say there is a fair chance of Boz being axed at this point.
But there will be more news shortly as I'm sure more dates will be announced starting from June onwards and then we will see what the band line-up is going to be.

The odd cloud Solomon left under with his 'compassionate leave' and "black plague" were dissected here ad nauseum and possibly more was made of it if he is now in the vicinity of a studio with Moz & his brother again. Who knows!?
Regards,
FWD.

Wasn’t Solomon the one who was said to have had the wisdom to have punched Morrissey in the face?

I suppose my confusion lies within the fact that 1) He seems in an awful rush to record a track that he "hopes for a summer release" for. "Chain Gang" is a simple song and one the band has been playing live for months now. They have it down, and it would take literally hours to complete - they had to record it now as opposed to waiting until Boz, etc. were available? And 2) earlier this week, I was revisiting the situation when Gustavo collapsed, and the "show could not go on" because the band were brothers, and they love each other. But when it's a Pretenders cover, hoo-boy, gotta slap that together pronto.
Completely reasonable thinking.
Perhaps Joe's window of opportunity / logistics factor in to this too?
I know the scab pickers here will be happy to have something to chip away at, but currently, the behaviour/posts of band members isn't supporting anything major going on.
Anyway, that's my piece said. If it all descends in to chaos, I'm never averse to being wrong and saying so.
Regards,
FWD.

I believe theironbridge has mocked-up pictures before (with no intention of deceit). I think this effort surpasses Sam's. Did people seriously think some typed text over another library picture is the finished product? Sam is just getting ahead of himself in his new Julia role IMHO.
Whether this all indicates some major internal wrangling/changes is very much yet to be seen. That said, given the recent celebratory posts by the Boorer & Lopez families, I'd suggest not writing them off just yet.
Regards,
FWD.

As mentioned Boz is coming to the USA very soon. So the fact they couldn't wait is odd.
The people saying the contributions boz makes are small know nothing about the situation. The best songs on the last two lps have been boz stuff, either written by or overseen.
Jesse is a washout,. We know that. The fact morrissey keeps him around is yet another mistake in the Jake /Kristeen /Personal assistant sense. Anyon close enough to the story knows that
LOLz to 'sam is just trying to get out in front'
The word on the street is the whole website is yet another attempt to get Sam in the picture and make him a name.
Hence all the pictures are ftom sam, not only that but he tries to take credit for work that isn't his. Sam is such a runt.the most untalented person to ever be in the moz circle and that's saying something

Reckon Boz is back at his record shop in brittin. Boz is too fat to live in LA. I reckon me don't know why Uncle Steve didn't send a fax to Alain Whyte. Toluca Lake Apartments isn't that far from Sunset Sound inn nn n it.

Last edited:
Regards,
FWD.

Agree with you, both Boz and his wife are on social media and post regularly. All these theories, yet you easily find out what's what with a couple of clicks?

I hear different versions of this - the other version being, it wasn't him, it was someone else. Anyone want to elaborate?
All mostly 'on this site pontificating' - nothing that was ever clearly reported.
Although, here are the pictures of said assault:
hooligans.jpg

morrissey-something-is-squeezing-my-skull-2009-2.jpg

In the land of mountainous mole hills,
FWD.

Reckon Uncle Steve is soooooo LA. Sunset Sound is the classic old LA studio, but no one records there anymore inn nn n it. Steve P. Morrissey 2018 Governor of California.

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom