"Back On The Chain Gang" official video via Rolling Stone interview

Morrissey Covers the Pretenders’ ‘Back on the Chain Gang,’ Talks ‘Pop Classic’ - Rolling Stone
“It’s a pop classic,” singer says. “Of the brain as well as the loins”
By Kory Grow

Excerpt:

"When Morrissey decided to cover the Pretenders’ “Back on the Chain Gang” for an upcoming double-vinyl reissue of his Low in High School album, he wanted to play it loose with the lyrics. “I didn’t ever see the lyrics correctly printed because I wanted to sing them as I had always thought they were,” he tells Rolling Stone via e-mail. “This is tricky with [Pretenders singer] Chrissie [Hynde] because sometimes she’ll sing into a misty wobble. So, I decided to wobble also.”

Other than a few switched-up words, though, it’s mostly a reverent cover. He croons Hynde’s lyrics, wobbling his voice, along with a jangly guitar line that sounds like a mix of his solo music and the Pretenders. He recorded it this past April at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles. The song will also be available as a 45 with cover art, out November 23rd, which features Gilbert O’Sullivan’s “I Didn’t Know What to Do” on the flip side. Morrissey proudly points out the single sleeve features writer and feminist Germaine Greer, with the expanded LP out December 7th."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...etenders-back-on-the-chain-gang-cover-748605/

Studio & video versions are different to the live arrangements.
Moz on guitar!
Rolling Stone got the scoop, then linked to by 'Official' with the pre-order advert for the deluxe:

MP3:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pkc1ce

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited:
Wonderful! Great tune, love it!
His best cover for sure.
Really nice video too, with a wink to Johnny.

Forgot to add: the lack of Solomon Walker & Roger Manning in the video is a respectful nod to the missing band members perhaps?

I was kind of expecting to see Solomon in the video - but then, this sort of hearkens back to crediting Boz et al on the "My Love Life" single when they didn't really play on it. I certainly would've been surprised to see Roger Manning - perhaps Mikey, if M really wanted to include a keyboardist in the vid.

“I know she’d marry me tomorrow, but she’s already had 11 husbands and she’s always being spotted digging in the garden at midnight.”

“I wanted people to see that I can play as well as Jeff Beck. I wanted them to, but they never will!”

:lbf:

mando and jesse swapped sides... arghhh

The Pretenders meant the world to me when they came out for the guitars. The chiming fresh use of the guitars. Then came Morrissey and the Smiths. They are connected for me. Chrissy Hynde can say the most nasty un -P.C. things and no one dares question her. I saw the Pretenders at a small club downtown NYC once when I was shitfaced and screaming at the foot of the Stage. She said, and I quote," I am about to kick you in the f***ing face." Imagine how I fealt! It was really really mean. I am glad they are friends though. They really are. She goes out of her way not only to say it but to prove it as well. R.E.M were always fratboy to me. From the git go. Never moved me. I love you guys.

Great video. Love it! Moz was born to sing the 'Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh's on this song.

Lovely song, delightful video. Top vocals, great guitar (albeit from Jesse and not Moz!). I especially love the chorus.
Someone said it before, but Moz is on a roll! ☄️
Also, nice and heartfelt interview.

Moz with a guitar just feels so wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin. Since every video is a copy of something he saw that he liked he must have seen some band where the singer plays a guitar.
That girl is so misplaced but again the band or video he liked had a woman as backup singer. I wonder if he liked some surf music band from the west coast, we can probably start searching among those.

Greer the mad feminist eats men like him for breakfast wishing she had enjoyed them in bed instead but like every feminist no man wants them so they become lesbians and are rejected once again.

That was really good. I thought the record was going to be tossed off live versions but this is interesting. I love The Pretenders' early records and this is not as good as the original. Chrissie is really as unique as Morrissey is vocally and lyrically and I happen to like her version better. But I thought this was going to be about a 3/10 and it's more like a solid 7, maybe 8. I'd like to hear him do Sinead's "Black Boys On Mopeds" or "Last Day Of Our Acquaintance." He ought to stay away from the country songs and do more like this. Something by Hole, like "Malibu" would be good, too.

Its good. Better than good perhaps. But it seems such a pointless exercise. One made to seem even more pointless by creating a video and a single release as opposed to tossing it out as a b-side or bonus track.

Moz with a guitar just feels so wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin. Since every video is a copy of something he saw that he liked he must have seen some band where the singer plays a guitar.
That girl is so misplaced but again the band or video he liked had a woman as backup singer. I wonder if he liked some surf music band from the west coast, we can probably start searching among those.
I think the guitar is a cheeky message to Johnny, as others have said. What that message might be is debatable. 'Anything you can do...'? Or possibly, 'If you're a singer then I'm a guitarist.' Then again, it's possibly just a reference to Chrissie.

I think the dopey-looking Hot Chicks are just there to keep Sam happy. It's in his contract.

Last edited:
I get it when he repeats how sexy The Pretenders always were. Those lead guitarists. So talented, and so handsome. Working for her. Having to always look over to her. Nothing hotter. I,m scared stiff of her. I also saw the original lineup in 81 at the Palladium on 14th street which was so cool. That night I went to some clubs hoping to find James Honeyman Scott. I was sure that if I could party with him I could shag him. He would love me. I was 18. He was straight I know, but I was determined. True story. I could not believe it when I heard he passed away. I could not believe it. Life was a pigsty.

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom