"Back On The Chain Gang" official video via Rolling Stone interview

Morrissey Covers the Pretenders’ ‘Back on the Chain Gang,’ Talks ‘Pop Classic’ - Rolling Stone
“It’s a pop classic,” singer says. “Of the brain as well as the loins”
By Kory Grow

Excerpt:

"When Morrissey decided to cover the Pretenders’ “Back on the Chain Gang” for an upcoming double-vinyl reissue of his Low in High School album, he wanted to play it loose with the lyrics. “I didn’t ever see the lyrics correctly printed because I wanted to sing them as I had always thought they were,” he tells Rolling Stone via e-mail. “This is tricky with [Pretenders singer] Chrissie [Hynde] because sometimes she’ll sing into a misty wobble. So, I decided to wobble also.”

Other than a few switched-up words, though, it’s mostly a reverent cover. He croons Hynde’s lyrics, wobbling his voice, along with a jangly guitar line that sounds like a mix of his solo music and the Pretenders. He recorded it this past April at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles. The song will also be available as a 45 with cover art, out November 23rd, which features Gilbert O’Sullivan’s “I Didn’t Know What to Do” on the flip side. Morrissey proudly points out the single sleeve features writer and feminist Germaine Greer, with the expanded LP out December 7th."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...etenders-back-on-the-chain-gang-cover-748605/

Studio & video versions are different to the live arrangements.
Moz on guitar!
Rolling Stone got the scoop, then linked to by 'Official' with the pre-order advert for the deluxe:

MP3:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/pkc1ce

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited:
its only been a couple of days so its decent,it will continue to grow and hopefully it will get a slot on the main page which is exactly where the pretenders back on the chain gang is right now so its a win win for both camps.

its only been a couple of days so its decent,it will continue to grow and hopefully it will get a slot on the main page which is exactly where the pretenders back on the chain gang is right now so its a win win for both camps.
Depends very much upon if radio pick this up. I think they should and could.
Spent the Day in Bed was a big radio hit and has 3 million views on YouTube and 8.3 million plays on Spotify, his biggest hit in a long time.
Would be great if Chain Gang got anywhere near.

Spent the Day in Bed was a big radio hit and has 3 million views on YouTube and 8.3 million plays on Spotify, his biggest hit in a long time.
totally agree Thewlis,it is certainly growing on me since the video was put up.its certainly radio friendly.

I agree, I have been a supporter of Jesse but I don’t think he’s done a job on this. It sounds like he’s rushing, he needs to go and listen to the original.
He's not rushing, he's holding on for dear life like he does with any song he plays on.

He's not rushing, he's holding on for dear life like he does with any song he plays on.
People who review music and films with complaints as if they would do a better job of it is so laughable and a side effect of the internet meaning every John, Charlie and Shirley are able to post their view which is of no interest to anyone in the entire world and beyond.
Musicians cannot enjoy music cause they cannot really understand music as such as for them it is craftwork with no real love or understanding for what they do.
It's like people playing sports who cannot ever become a fan of a club or player. Sometimes these people would be better off losing their talent or whatever it is so they could enjoy something that does not involve themselves and their big ego.

I agree, it has a tongue-pressed-against-the-top-lip-concentrating-really-hard feel about it.
You don't make faces like you're passing a kidney stone every time you pick up a guitar if you're good at playing the guitar. That's for sure.

People who review music and films with complaints as if they would do a better job of it is so laughable and a side effect of the internet meaning every John, Charlie and Shirley are able to post their view which is of no interest to anyone in the entire world and beyond.
Musicians cannot enjoy music cause they cannot really understand music as such as for them it is craftwork with no real love or understanding for what they do.
It's like people playing sports who cannot ever become a fan of a club or player. Sometimes these people would be better off losing their talent or whatever it is so they could enjoy something that does not involve themselves and their big ego.
Shut up Jesse.

Shut up Jesse.
You know who I am!
I thought you Portland Antifa's had been rounded up and sent to the border to feed the migrant caravan. I hear they prefer fresh meat from living humans being the cannibals they are.
I cannot wait until Trump gives orders to bomb Portland to pieces or makes the military to "accidentally" drop a bomb or two on the place.
What a shithole that place is and the cops show on tv makes me wonder if Portland can even be considered american.

You don't make faces like you're passing a kidney stone every time you pick up a guitar if you're good at playing the guitar. That's for sure.
People who never had a kidney stone should know that it gives you cramp in the entire body or so it feels like cause you cannot remain still for a second and then the heart starts giving up on you or so it feels.
There is no such a thing as passing a kidney stone, that is not how it works.
Are their schools in Portland and I hope you teach your kid at home yourself?

People who never had a kidney stone should know that it gives you cramp in the entire body or so it feels like cause you cannot remain still for a second and then the heart starts giving up on you or so it feels.
There is no such a thing as passing a kidney stone, that is not how it works.
Are their schools in Portland and I hope you teach your kid at home yourself?
*there

Spent The Day In Bed was, by no stretch of the imagination, a radio hit.

Morrissey fans really are delusional.

Article says he's "strumming a Rickenbacker" but no way is that a Ricky. Looks like a custom Gibson Firebird to me.

Totally NOT a Rick, the bass player is playing a Rickenbacker. Some sort of Firebird ripoff.

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom