"Back On The Chain Gang" single - UK release date announcement imminent

New Morrissey single release is imminent.

Confirmed via Morrissey Central. Song entitled: Back on the Chain Gang

Link:

Forthcoming UK single - Morrissey Central
August 25, 2018

44031_20180825_155650.jpg

Release date announcement imminent.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
germaine greers vibrator is that old its thatched.she used to never be off the tv in the uk especially question time.

Odd text arrangement from an odd man ? and
so many here surprised?

Anyways... A great song that Morrissey has done a great job with live, let’s hope Joe C hasn’t strangled the liveliness out of it.

Never been keen on the song but as Chrissie Hynde is one of the very few people to speak kindly of Moz recently I will buy it in thanks to her

It's a strange layout alright especially after the great sleeves from LIHS. The question is what do you put on the B side of a cover version?

It's a strange layout alright especially after the great sleeves from LIHS. The question is what do you put on the B side of a cover version?

He should cover "Getting Away With It" by Electronic, seeing as it's about him.

Greer on Morrissey for anyone interested (2008, Guardian):

"When Morrissey sings a Morrissey song, he knows exactly what colour every part of every word is meant to be, and whether it crosses the rhythm to build up tension, or cannons into it to gain emphasis. If Morrissey repeats a line, he may vary it in a new context, or he may keep it exactly the same, as he does with “EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY”, because part of the point of the song is the anguish of monotony as perceived by hapless youth – but the music catapults the repetition towards us like a javelin."

Regards,
FWD.

What does one put as a B-Side to a cover song? A new original? Another studio cover? A live cover? A live original? Any of the above?

I suppose "Satellite of Love" is our precedent here, and that had a bit everything for B-Sides in the various formats. Though nothing "new".
It could be a multi million platinum seller so I hope Moz puts his own song as bside. Unlike Soft Cell with their cover of Tainted Love with another cover as bside. Oops.
I'd say this new Moz release could be the injection the record industry needs to get back to its 80's profit making zenith.

Back in the old days (80s/90s?) singles would come out months before the album was released. Does that still happen on a regular basis?
True that. And the best bands like The Jam or The Smiths didn't include the singles on the albums. If I'm honest I always thought they should have.

Suede's new album gonna reeleased sept21....2 gems are already out, no singles, just video, the last one in Chernobyl filmed [no humans]...I'd say Morrissey you're the Elvis of LA, stay there and sing covers, sorry, I'm a bit anoyed by a great song writer, who uses a cover, Brett Anderson's lyrics are what once Morrissey was, sorry Morrissey, never promised you a rosegarden, hope for the better, in the future {...}

Last edited:
Greer on Morrissey for anyone interested (2008, Guardian):

"When Morrissey sings a Morrissey song, he knows exactly what colour every part of every word is meant to be, and whether it crosses the rhythm to build up tension, or cannons into it to gain emphasis. If Morrissey repeats a line, he may vary it in a new context, or he may keep it exactly the same, as he does with “EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY”, because part of the point of the song is the anguish of monotony as perceived by hapless youth – but the music catapults the repetition towards us like a javelin."

Regards,
FWD.
Great quote, and it might explain (for me) why I feel many of Morrissey's covers are so lacklustre. He's just going through the motions because he's not feeling the words, since they're not his. (That's not to say we should let the band off the hook, mind you).

Great quote, and it might explain (for me) why I feel many of Morrissey's covers are so lacklustre. He's just going through the motions because he's not feeling the words, since they're not his. (That's not to say we should let the band off the hook, mind you).
Do you not rate any of his covers?

Tags
back on the chain gang single

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom