Bands like the smiths?

marycollette

I don't really know i want to listen to something like really soft like pink floyd or some specific nirvana song!like all apologies!songs like that.thanks bands like the smiths would be great too!
Initiative Q

Last edited:
-Suede (are very good)
-The Housemartains
-Pet Shop Boys (If you like clever lyricism their output from 1984-1993 is great especially the song Being Boring)
-Shed Seven (Chasing Rainbows)
-Boys (Wapping/A new girl born are both smiths inspired songs)
-New Order
-Blondie
-OMD
-Thompson Twins

I don't really know i want to listen to something like really soft like pink floyd or some specific nirvana song!like all apologies!songs like that.thanks bands like the smiths would be great too!

There are wonderful things like Spotify and Pandora and Google Play and Youtube that use algorithms to suggest similar bands to you based on whatever you're listening to and the music that other people who listen to that stuff like as well.

The problem is that The Smiths were greater than the sum of their whole; you can find "similar" bands in the sense of genre, tempo, or fanbase but they're nothing like The Smiths.

The Wild Swans from Liverpool are similar sounding in my opinion. Although they predated The Smiths by 12 months or so.

The Sundays
James
Gene
The Ocean Blue
The Go-Betweens
The House of Love
Lloyd Cole (and the Commotions)
The Auteurs

Another Sunny Day
The Field Mice
The Boyfriend
The Orchids
Heavenly
The Organ
The Dears
Marion
Franz Ferdinand

(Blondie, OMD and Thompson Twins???)

The Smiths: The only ones who really sound much like them is Gene, and to an extent James. Dubstar reminds you of them for reasons that are not entirely Clear.

Initiative Q

As noted, Gene, but only their first couple of records and REALLY only their first and they were more of a Vauxhall-era-b-sides Morrissey clone than a Smiths clone.

The first Suede album is indispensable. It doesn't SOUND like The Smiths at all but for all intents and purposes (or, as an idiot would say, for all intensive purposes) they were the next ones in the relay race to get the baton. Maybe you had to be there at the time but the magic of the early Suede stuff was indescribable.

I'd also recommend the first couple of Auteurs records. Again, like Suede, not because they SOUNDED like The Smiths, but if you want hyper-literate lyrics with acerbic wit and a sound/feel unlike ANYTHING else that was going on around them, that's your band. Honestly just GREAT songs.

You may also enjoy a relatively obscure group from the early 90s called Rumblefish. They never really went anywhere but Jeremy Paige did his best to channel Morrissey. He often failed but in their own right they were were a very solid Britpop group.

Slow Readers Club is one of the only current bands that is of a similar vein, IMO. Obviously, Belle & Sebastian recalls a lot of The Smiths in much of their catalogue, especially their first four records.

Back
Top Bottom