BBC 6 Music - The Smiths Special this Sunday (Feb. 16, 6-8pm); playlist picks requested

UPDATE Feb. 16:

BBC Music 6 "Now Playing" link to listen. I (davidt) will be introducing one of the songs in the playlist.

Alex Burnard writes:

Dear all Morrissey Solo members,

This Sunday, to mark the 30th Anniversary next week of The Smiths self-titled debut album, the BBC 6 Music programme 'Now Playing' are asking listeners and fans to pick tracks for the Ultimate Smiths Playlist. We broadcast Sunday 6-8pm.

However we need YOUR help to compile the Ultimate Smiths Playlist, there are more details at our blog here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/nowplaying/posts/TheSmiths6Music , however you can pick anything. e.g pre Smiths, solo work post Smiths, rare B sides, influences and influencers and obviously music by the band themselves...etc etc.

Once you've had a read of the blog get your suggestions to the show via these mediums:

Twitter using #TheSmiths6Music
Comment under the blog (see link above)
Comment under the facbook post at our page here https://www.facebook.com/nowplaying6music?ref=hl
Email '[email protected]'
AND on the night of the show (6-8pm) you can text 64046.

BUT please provide a reason to your suggestion. The best ones will get played on the show.

Many thanks
Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: BBC 6 Music - The Smiths special this Sunday 6-8pm

Some of Morrissey's best solo songs are the ones that, for whatever reason, either he or his record company just haven't wanted to promote or release as singles.

"Lost" is a prime example. One of his best ever songs in my opinion. It's gorgeous.

Wow, this is the third time in last 12 months to have Smiths / Morrissey special on Now Playing.

Great

Just wrote some songs at the Facebook page, but I guess the ones are allready mentioned

Thanks BBC 6 music

'and they say he's mentall' ... Jeanne lyrics are still standing strong, a gem...

Oh my Goodness! Is it really 30 years since i sat in my lonely back room at home in Sale, Manchester, England & delved through my oldest brothers LP'S. I was 16, i lived & attended Loreto college in Manchester - i found & spun the record The Smiths. It was dark, imperfect - what was all the fuss about? I felt there was something missing. I was into darker music at that time. The Smiths were not as they appeared, having read THAT BOOK i realise that they happened too fast without real substance. As time went by, & decades went by i voted for Morrissey, he is progressive rock/indie in music by himself. Really looking forward to his new material. Let the music & lyrics speak for themselves. Accept music for what it is, please stop over analising it. Love & Light to you all x

Wow, this is the third time in last 12 months to have Smiths / Morrissey special on Now Playing.

Please dedicate meat is murder to Brian Ford

Oh my Goodness! Is it really 30 years since i sat in my lonely back room at home in Sale, Manchester, England & delved through my oldest brothers LP'S. I was 16, i lived & attended Loreto college in Manchester - i found & spun the record The Smiths. It was dark, imperfect - what was all the fuss about? I felt there was something missing. I was into darker music at that time. The Smiths were not as they appeared, having read THAT BOOK i realise that they happened too fast without real substance. As time went by, & decades went by i voted for Morrissey, he is progressive rock/indie in music by himself. Really looking forward to his new material. Let the music & lyrics speak for themselves. Accept music for what it is, please stop over analising it. Love & Light to you all x

Was that a deliberate typo ? If so, very amusing.

Great to hear David T on the radio, and great choice - Well I Wonder.

P.

Tom Robinson is a dreadful presenter.

You took the words out of my mouth. Shockingly so, not paying attention to titles, missing cues, repeating stuff, he's all over the place. Any one of us could do a better job than he's doing right now.

P.

Tom Robinson is a dreadful presenter.

You took the words out of my mouth. Shockingly so, not paying attention to titles, missing cues, repeating stuff, he's all over the place. Any one of us could do a better job than he's doing right now.

P.

If you a regular listener of BBC 6 Music you can't criticise Tom.

It's weird that They haven't managed to fix some technical problems.
Now Playing is a live show, only 4 people including Tom are doing the show.
It's not Tom's (and other DJs) fault when CD player starts playing the same song again.

Last edited:
If you a regular listener of BBC 6 Music you can't criticise Tom.

It's weird that BBC cannot fix some technical problems.
It's not Tom's (and other DJs) fault when CD player starts playing the same song again.

Maybe, but you'd think he'd learn from his mistakes, but no.

P.

P.

Agreed peter......a chance wasted I think....could have shone.....didn't.....Alma x

I am a regular listener to 6 Music, including to Now Playing. Tom always seems dreadfully slow, not always particularly clued up on his subject, and there's always a great deal of uninteresting rambling that could be cut down on to fit at least 2-3 more songs in.

Some of Morrissey's best solo songs are the ones that, for whatever reason, either he or his record company just haven't wanted to promote or release as singles.

"Lost" is a prime example. One of his best ever songs in my opinion. It's gorgeous.

Completely agree. It's a beautiful song. It really tugs at my heart.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom