"Because This Is How I Am" - SER / Morrissey Central (24 May, 2019)

Because This Is How I Am. - Morrissey Central
May 24, 2019

full

BECAUSE THIS IS HOW I AM

"in early old age could I please express very sincere thanks to BBC Radio 2 for their broad-shouldered support given to "California Son", "Wedding Bell Blues" and "It's Over". Whatever the future brings, I will always remember Radio 2's steady support during these rocky weeks - especially from Jo Whiley.

I am sorry the UK print media's contorted interpretation of who and what I am has gone all wrong. In these days when most people are afraid to even whisper, the print media write as if someone is coming to get them. This aching nervousness brings on the vengeful and paranoid. Inventing Britain's doomsday is the preoccupation of the tabloids, and they can hate you for having lived.

I straighten up, and my position is one of hope. The march backwards is over, and life has begun again. With voice extended to breaking point, I call for the prosperity of free speech; the eradication of totalitarian control; I call for diversity of opinion; I call for the total abolition of the abattoir; I call for peace, above all; I call for civil society; I call for a so-far unknowable end to brutalities; "No" to Soviet Britain; prayers not to gods but to forces; an end to disingenuous media cluelessness; the people have the power; hatred and beheadings belong in the furnace of history; music might still be your only friend; for every shade and persuasion ... we shall always be alongside each other - everyone's culture of value; no more fashionable outrage; cows are friends to humans - don't kill them; beware of those who write in headlines; moral fiber means holding on ... to your friends; give up on inferior arguments; God gave you your life to enjoy - you will cry for your life in years to come ... death always answers back; do not be a nobody; you have survived this far in order to make the remainder peaceful and funny; your very survival proves that you have a right; ignore the cold eyes of fascism; your life is Art." #morrissey

24 May 2019

Thanks to Sam for sharing!

UPDATE May 25:

Also posted on Morrissey Official Facebook:

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:

The whole point is that Morrissey came from a working class background in the north of England (he ticked those boxes). He has lived alone for decades and is a very private person.., so, I would assume that he has cleaned an oven and on at least several occasions changed the duvet cover. You can still support peace and love whilst doing the dishes.... didn’t you know? If you’re not too busy watching Love Island..
Also, are you suggesting that Morrissey hasn’t worked? He’s been in the music business since 1982 (37 years) had you not noticed? Or is that not work.?... it’s your cue Mr Knopfler....
Also, Morrissey is not pontificating. He’s making a statement and expressing an opinion.
Get your maths homework done then come back with a better thought out response..
Pilgrimupnorth
Yah I wouldn't be surprised if he does regular housework, certainly when he lived alone in Jollywood. We saw him blowdry and comb his hair in an exclusive barbers in the 'Importance of being Morrissey' documentary. Ok thats a bad example.
However we do know he doesn't like carrying his bags through the airport :)

Its ironic you use the word "triggered" over this particular article, since all your lefty millennials get triggered over politics to the point that you want an artist's music and poster banned cause they have a different opinion, or rather the wrong opinion.

I’m not triggered, nor am I a lefty or millennial, nor a snowflake, nor offended by nothing. And I bought the f***in’ album you plank, so how do I want it banned? I just respect the right for an independent record shop owner to stock or not stock whatever the f*** they like. How is it any skin off your nose? Shut up and buy it somewhere else.

I agree. I listened to an “interview” with Lewis Capaldi on the radio the other day. He could hardly string a sentence together. He was embarrassingly inarticulate. It was all “like” and “know what I mean”., then he played live and I couldn’t even make out the lyrics.. then I hear today that his album is selling massive amounts.. I feel sorry for Morrissey and anyone with half a braincell trying to speak up in the music business. Don’t get me started on that ginger one with the glasses..
Pilgrimupnorth
On the RTE News in Ireland tonight and last night: Spice Skanks reunion tour in Dublin. THAT makes the news.

I’m not triggered, nor am I a lefty or millennial, nor a snowflake, nor offended by nothing. And I bought the f***in’ album you plank, so how do I want it banned? I just respect the right for an independent record shop owner to stock or not stock whatever the f*** they like. How is it any skin off your nose? Shut up and buy it somewhere else.
You're an oddball for sure, you're spouting lefty millennial slogans, slandering Morrissey then you go out and buy two copies of his new album. :crazy:

You're right, a record store can stock whatever music they like, I just think it was pathetic to turn it into a publicity stunt as part of the current witch hunt against Morrissey. Ironically it's a bigger facist statement than anything Morrissey has ever said.

You're an oddball for sure, you're spouting lefty millennial slogans, slandering Morrissey then you go out and buy two copies of his new album. :crazy:

You're right, a record store can stock whatever music they like, I just think it was pathetic to turn it into a publicity stunt as part of the current witch hunt against Morrissey. Ironically it's a bigger facist statement than anything Morrissey has ever said.

I ain’t spouting nowt, I just don’t agree with the parties he’s endorsing. They cause harm to innocent people. But I’m not offended, why would I be, I’m not the target. I’m white British, born & bred here. No one says anything to me when I walk down the street, no one looks at me funny or discriminates against me. I’m sorry my conscience can’t stomach the thought of people getting abused by some Tommy Robinson or For Britain footsoldier. You have to be a f***in’ ape to back those movements. You’ve gotta lack empathy, lack compassion, and have a very questionable conscience.

Is Damon his maid too?

If you think that's an apology you must have read a different piece, if anything it's a statement of individual thought.

I was mistaken. It’s not an apology. It’s damage control. Album sales are more important to him than his political point of view. Hence this “statement of individual thought.”

His support of For Britain and his downright stupid comments are finally hurting him where it hurts the most: his bank account.

Great comment, made me feel happy buying California Son this morning.
I will never agree with For Britain, Morrissey has aligned himself with bullies and bigots, but with this new great album and this thoughtful and respectful quote, he still seems to have some sense, somewhere.
In what way is this new album great? It is a collection of stupid AM radio staples from the bad old days. Just crap.

i think all of this will be very significant one day, whether it be if mozza retires or when he’s gone somewhere else, all of the silliness that follows him around at the moment will open a great deal up for artists to come. i think the world will appreciate him someday, looking back.

Last edited:
Its ironic you use the word "triggered" over this particular article, since all your lefty millennials get triggered over politics to the point that you want an artist's music and poster banned cause they have a different opinion, or rather the wrong opinion.

yes very embarrasing.o_O
50 year old snowflake lefty loon millennials. Mini Mao is another one.
they talk to each other like teenagers and dress as if they were 15 years old
like the ultimate 55 yr old millennial the one the only :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:.

experts in all manner of bizarre subjects like the neanderthal dna:crazy:
all subjects but the one where they have to find work.:straightface:
if they didnt have to save humanity they would be captains of industry
but for the time being the dole will do.:lbf:

they advocate for fellow losers like DH Andy and FH Mike.:straightface:
poor cads.

makes them crazy when talent like Moz is full of SUCCESS:moneybag::moneybag:

In what way is this new album great? It is a collection of stupid AM radio staples from the bad old days. Just crap.

You seriously think that Jobriath, Laura Nyro, Phil Ochs and Tim Hardin have ever been radio staples?

The bad old days? You mean when rock meant something?
Yes rock meant a lot back in the late 60's and early 70's. Unfortunately, he isn't covering any rock tunes, they're all throwaway, easy listening AM radio turdballs. I'm surprised that The Carpenters or ABBA didn't make an appearance on this thing.

Thats my display at my work ... was our bestseller today ( besides the kate bush 12") and i personally sold a few to people who bought it on the strength of it playing instore and were shocked it was Moz but commented on the quality of his voice

‘and i personally sold a few to people who bought it on the strength of it playing instore and were shocked it was Moz but commented on the quality of his voice’

That’s cool ! :thumb:

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom