Benefits of Smoking

when you smoke, no one gets near you... so you get peace and quiet.

smoking has no real benefits, just some excuses my mom made up (yes, she's that important, lol) to justify her addiction.

I'm in a dilemma, which would I rather have?

A horrible death from cancer at an age where my brain still works?

OR

A horrible long lingering death lasting anything up to 20 years as a Alzheimer ridden vegetable who shits myself 50 times a day?

It's a tough choice.

One benefit of smoking by the way: The billions of pounds/dollars paid by smokers to the Goverment in tobacco tax. The billions of pounds/dollars that MASSIVELY outweigh the amount of money spent treating smoking related illnesses. £5 billion cost to the NHS per year against £8 billion paid in tax according to recently released figures.

But hey, I won't badger you into smoking if you'll stop badgering me about not doing it.

I never badgered you about it. I am simply grateful that my meal is not disturbed and my Blue Point Summer Ale (Available wherever great beer is sold) is not combined with the noxious fumes of smoke.

And on another point. Jumping out of a plane without a parachute is an almost definite way to make sure I do not turn into a vegetable shitting my diapers in my old age. However I do not do that either. For all I know I will die quietly in my sleep like my elderly neighbor and not like the other people in the car.

I "smoked" so many candy and gum cigarettes as a kid, that by the time my friends were smoking real cigs, I was completely bored with it all.

I heart smoking. . .

but I know I must quit. All those dumb commercials make me see the point, or do they really get people to smoke more? I choose the latter. Truth!

Has anyone else noticed, that in bars and cubs ( in the UK at least) that, since the cigarette smokers have been shunted outside, the Inside REALLY smells of piss, which is trodden in on peoples shoes from the toilets???...
( The Cigarette "fug" also used to mask some scruffy swines rather whiffy B.O. Problems....).
OOPS! Now THEY will be banning toilets in pubs!!! And sweating!!

I never badgered you about it. I am simply grateful that my meal is not disturbed and my Blue Point Summer Ale (Available wherever great beer is sold) is not combined with the noxious fumes of smoke.

Oh, I wasn't cirticising you directly, I was just saying; alot of non smokers badger smokers to quit even when it's really none of their business.
As for the smoking ban in pubs; many 'traditional' pubs had two rooms (the 'Tap' room & the 'Best' room), would have really been such a hardship to allow such pubs to dedicate a 'smoking room'? Individual pubs have to apply for their own licence regarding opening hours since '24 drinking', why couldn't they have been allowed to apply for 'smoking licences' in the same way?
I describe traditional pubs in the past tense cos there aren't many of them left. Not entirely due to the smoking ban but not entirely unrelated either.

PS It wasn't the smoking ban in pubs that bothered me so much as the the ban on smoking on railway station platforms. One example, platforms at Chesterfield station are 200 yards long, of which people only congregate on about 50 yards of. I used to stand at the end of the platform where no-one else was & smoke whislt waiting for my train. I can't do that any more & no-one is yet to convince me it isn't one of many laws designed by Labour simply to control people.

Britain under Labour: 'If it isn't illegal, it's compulsory!'

Re: hmmmm indeed

Very childish observations indeed.

I don't think smoking is cool thing to do.
Many of my friends who smoke (or used to smoke) told me that they started smoking because they're often looked down by adults.

Smoking doesn't make you look cool, but fool.

Appalling response:rolleyes:
How much longer are we going to tolerate being moderated like this?
How much longer is this moderator going ''look down on us'' and talk to us as if we are children?

Jukebox Jury

How much longer is this moderator going ''look down on us'' and talk to us as if we are children?

Jukebox Jury

Keep it up young man and you'll be spending your day in time out. :mock:

Jukebox Jury

Pick your battles. That was nothing more than participating in a conversation and offering a private opinion.

Oh, I wasn't cirticising you directly, I was just saying; alot of non smokers badger smokers to quit even when it's really none of their business.
As for the smoking ban in pubs; many 'traditional' pubs had two rooms (the 'Tap' room & the 'Best' room), would have really been such a hardship to allow such pubs to dedicate a 'smoking room'? Individual pubs have to apply for their own licence regarding opening hours since '24 drinking', why couldn't they have been allowed to apply for 'smoking licences' in the same way?
I describe traditional pubs in the past tense cos there aren't many of them left. Not entirely due to the smoking ban but not entirely unrelated either.

PS It wasn't the smoking ban in pubs that bothered me so much as the the ban on smoking on railway station platforms. One example, platforms at Chesterfield station are 200 yards long, of which people only congregate on about 50 yards of. I used to stand at the end of the platform where no-one else was & smoke whislt waiting for my train. I can't do that any more & no-one is yet to convince me it isn't one of many laws designed by Labour simply to control people.

Britain under Labour: 'If it isn't illegal, it's compulsory!'

As far as badgering anyone about smoking I have indeed personally badgered two smokers about quitting. I will tell you of one of them. This guy continued to smoke after a kidney transplant when told by his doctors to stop as it could cause problems with the acceptance of the kidney. He continued to smoke. I let him know every day that he continued to smoke in front of me the number of people patiently waiting for a kidney and he was screwing up a perfectly good one that had been donated. He eventually quit.

To me? His smoking was selfish and stupid.

As far as where you can stand on a platform, here on LI I believe that there is an entire ban on smoking on train platforms. However that was to cover the fact that trains stop at different parts of the same length of the platform depending on the time of the day. Some trains are longer than others. At 6am there will a train in front of you at a certain point of the platform where Saturday at noon there will be no train within a hundred feet stopping at the very part of the platform.

Last edited:
I no longer have a problem if people smoke, as they basically made it illegal in any areas I will be, if someone wants to stand out in the rain or snow and smoke or smoke in their own home, they should feel free to.

I didn't actually see much of my parents as a teenager because they disappeared behind a fog bank :rolleyes:Which was handy for legging it when I'd been grounded.:D

I if someone wants to...smoke in their own home, they should feel free to.

Trust me, it's only a matter of time. My building is already entirely no smoking & if it wasn't, I couldn't cos my missus doesn't like me. At the moment it's the landlord, soon it'll be the law lords.

Can I ask a favour of any non smokers? When I smoke in public, I do it deliberately out of the way. So when you walk past me on a open area 12ft wide, can you walk past more than a couple of feet away instead of walking right in front of me & tutting or doing that pathetic girly fake cough thing.
Yes Manchester, I mean you!

Trust me, it's only a matter of time. My building is already entirely no smoking & if it wasn't, I couldn't cos my missus doesn't like me. At the moment it's the landlord, soon it'll be the law lords.

Can I ask a favour of any non smokers? When I smoke in public, I do it deliberately out of the way. So when you walk past me on a open area 12ft wide, can you walk past more than a couple of feet away instead of walking right in front of me & tutting or doing that pathetic girly fake cough thing.
Yes Manchester, I mean you!

I can easily see a landlord telling a resident not to smoke. Technically speaking the tenant does not own the occupancy. Smoke does damage the insides of a residence. I had a summer job one year that I followed someone around that did installations and home repairs and the like. One of the hardest jobs was cleaning up a home after a smoker moved out and sold it to a non smoker. It got to the point that we wound up gutting the walls and ceilings and putting up new ones.

Smoking helps anxiety. And nicotine supposedly aids OCD and related conditions. It helps me a bit, especially in panicky situations. Plus, it improved my voice. :D

Pick your battles. That was nothing more than participating in a conversation and offering a private opinion.

It was condescending and talking down to a co member of the board.
If you are happy to be spoken to in that manner that's fine by me, others feel the same as I do however.

Jukebox Jury

There's a social aspect to smoking roll-ups at parties. Because normally everyone's missing a rizla, or a filter, or a lighter, and you all have to cooperate. :o

Nothing like a drunken ten-person attempt at rolling to break the ice :o

Back
Top Bottom