Votes: 6 24.0%
  • ‘The Very Best Of Morrissey’

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ‘This Is Morrissey’

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SweetnTenderYorkshireman

A bit of fun, after purchasing ‘This Is Morrissey’ recently, I wondered what everyone’s favorite solo compilation is (not including the HMV/Parlophone singles releases).
I expect ‘Bona Drag’ to come out on top, but who knows!

I had to educate somebody quickly on Moz’s music, I let her choose what to listen to, she chose
0FAC981B-AED0-49C6-B008-575F38BB4E8F.jpeg

this one I think cuz he looked so pretty on it, but it worked, went from knowing almost none of his songs to playing him all the time, so yeah, gotta go with this old comp :blushing:

Too many to choose from. Clearly what we really need is a new compilation, bringing together all the best bits of the other compilation albums: This is The World of the Very Best of the Early Burglary Suedhead Hits. I'd buy it.

I went for swords simply because most of the others have got a lot of the same songs on each compilation.petty louder than bombs wasn't on the list,remember picking that up for 3 quid in a bargain bin in john Menzies,great days, great days.

I agree. Bona drag or swords simply because I didn’t already own most of the material

I’m going to have to go Swords, too. It’s always in my car. Agree about the cover though. I found myself recreating it a few months ago when I had gone about a week too long before doing laundry. That was an alarming moment realizing I could been a stand in for the shoot.

I think, cover notwithstanding, I'd have to plump for Swords too. Not least because it contains the majestic Ganglord. Although I tend to hit 'skip' when Sweetie Pie rears its ugly head. I mean, how could you put such a turd between two classics like Never Played Symphonies and Christian Dior?

Had to go Bona Drag, though I see it's tied with Buggery years. I don't know what it is, but many of the songs on Buggery years sound like he's ill,
or suffering from a lack of confidence in his singing, which diminishes them for me. Some great songs, sung so-so.

I’m going to have to go Swords, too. It’s always in my car. Agree about the cover though. I found myself recreating it a few months ago when I had gone about a week too long before doing laundry. That was an alarming moment realizing I could been a stand in for the shoot.
I was a little startled for a moment, TAT, when you said you had been recreating what I believe is commonly referred to as the 'taking a shit in the woods' cover :lbf:

I think, cover notwithstanding, I'd have to plump for Swords too. Not least because it contains the majestic Ganglord. Although I tend to hit 'skip' when Sweetie Pie rears its ugly head. I mean, how could you put such a turd between two classics like Never Played Symphonies and Christian Dior?
Ugh, Sweetie Pie. I’ve tried and I just can’t enjoy it. I always skip it, too!

I was a little startled for a moment, TAT, when you said you had been recreating what I believe is commonly referred to as the 'taking a shit in the woods' cover :lbf:
You understood me perfectly, Pep. I found a little unused corner of the laundromat and popped a squat right there!

It was just my denim on denim ensemble I was actually referring to. Quite an amusing anecdote overall but I’ve omitted lots of details for brevity sake. Let’s just say I was making fun of, and counting, all the people coming in to do laundry in camouflage who were obviously not ex-military or special ops. They also were not wearing it ironically. I was up to a 9 count when I looked down and realized I was dressed a la Swords. I didn’t feel so snarky after that.

It is only my opinion, but I will never understand why the weird, swirling echoic mess of the final mix was preferred over the gorgeous, more straightforward piano-led version. “Sweetie-Pie” is a beautiful song but it sounds awful in that version.

I think, pound for scintillating pound, it’s “Bona Drag,” however, “Swords” is probably the best value and the most interesting for an established fan.

It is only my opinion, but I will never understand why the weird, swirling echoic mess of the final mix was preferred over the gorgeous, more straightforward piano-led version. “Sweetie-Pie” is a beautiful song but it sounds awful in that version.

Is that other version available anywhere, please?

Agreed it was a bizarre choice and I usually skip it. Maybe one day when it gets rereleased it’ll get a switch out

Back
Top Bottom