Best Lines From The New LP?

Here are some of my favorite lyrics from the new LP...

"They look at television thinking it's their window to the world. That's got to hurt."

"What carpet-chewer lights up this sewer?"

"If you're gonna kill yourself, get on with it!" Still a f***ing Brit. God I love him.

-The entirety of Bobby, Don't You Think They Know. A masterpiece of stream of consciousness beat poetry. As good as or better than as anything by Corso, McClure, Ginsberg.

-The entirety of The Secret Of Music...a song I detested the first few listens and then fell in love with. Absolutely gorgeous.

-"All around see fat-head youth. Look into their brutal eyes but only if you want the truth."

-"Darling, you will cry out for me in the years to come, in the hope of a moment that cannot return (thankfully)"

-"Maybe I'll be skinned alive by Canada Goose."

...anyway those are just a few of my favorite lyrical moments on the new album which I truly believe is his defining solo record.

Wowe!

-

Last edited:
The entirety of "What Kind of People Live in these Houses?"

"Take time, be mine, and gaze with fondness on... the wrong one." - Love is on Its Way Out

"You know who you are, yet you have no idea" - Truth About Ruth

"Time will mold you and craft you, but soon when your looking away it will slide up and shaft you" - My Hurling Days are Done

"Cymbals symbolize your mind" - The Secret of Music

"No longer keeping a secret of your secret place" - Darling, I Hug a Pillow

"Childish mind anticipates; grown-up mind consummates" - Once I Saw the River clean

The entirety of "What Kind of People Live in these Houses?"

"Take time, be mine, and gaze with fondness on... the wrong one." - Love is on Its Way Out

"You know who you are, yet you have no idea" - Truth About Ruth

"Time will mold you and craft you, but soon when your looking away it will slide up and shaft you" - My Hurling Days are Done

"Cymbals symbolize your mind" - The Secret of Music

"No longer keeping a secret of your secret place" - Darling, I Hug a Pillow

"Childish mind anticipates; grown-up mind consummates" - Once I Saw the River clean
All GREAT

darling I hug a pillow in absence of you.there are so many others.
lyrically this is some of his best writing in a long time,can we put to bed this notion that he cant do it anymore,balls.

Mama... mama and teddy bear were the first full firm spectrum of time

this almost made me cry the first time I heard it

Mama... mama and teddy bear were the first full firm spectrum of time

this almost made me cry the first time I heard it
Great song and when listening yesterday I swear Moz was imitating Freddie Mercury when singing the word "Mama" , then I visited my Mum and let her hear this song & sure enough she said the same thing before I'd mentioned how I'd heard it earlier.

Great song and when listening yesterday I swear Moz was imitating Freddie Mercury when singing the word "Mama" , then I visited my Mum and let her hear this song & sure enough she said the same thing before I'd mentioned how I'd heard it earlier.

Ha ha. What a funny story, Mark.

yeah it of course made me think of that to. There’s a weezer bside that does the same thing. So weird for such a specific moment in a song to be so influential either consciously or subconsciously or coincidentally. I love that line (the morrissey one). makes me think of a man on his deathbed muttering mother in some old cliched movie but it really does bring me to tears. The first thing a child does in the morning is to go find his mother and the last thing she might do is give you your teddy bear and tuck you in. I remember my own mother saying one of her fav things was to hear us get up, our footsteps running down the hall. I’m forty now with a four year old and a mother in her mid sixties so I’m especially feeling the burden and anxiety of my perspective when it comes to my own temporal spectrum. It makes this line stand out for me

“Time, a blossoming clover, But soon it will say, ‘Okay, come on son, bend over’”

the Atlantic times reviewers fav line but I thought it good enough to share

"Why can't you bring figs all pulpy and moist?
Roasted in passion and salty in voice?
No longer keeping a secret of your secret place"

"What kind of people do we admonish / For shining their shoes with furniture polish?"

People seem to have covered some of my favourites here but they are:

“Loving you is a trauma no one else should face or sit still for” - that's just classic Morrissey

"They vote the way they vote
They don't know how to change
Because their parents did the same"

"They look at television
Thinking it's their window to the world
That's got to hurt"

These aren't particularly profound, and on an album littered with incredible lyrics like in his earlier work they'd easily get lost in the shuffle. But they still nonetheless ring true.

"I walked with my Grandmother
Down a wind-blown Chester Road
With her 52 new pence
For her 20 Number 10's
And my 45 pence too
Demand 'Metal Guru'
Once with hearts securely stacked
Then we walked all the way back"

- I love this whole song but particularly this verse. I feel like in 'River' we have Morrissey writing in a style closer to how he wrote a lot of 'Autobiography'. There's just that personal touch to these words, remembering a memory extremely mundane but also so special. Once with hearts securely stacked is beautiful. I love the idea of Moz and Nan out together stocking up on the things they love.

"Take time, be mine, and gaze with fondness on the wrong one."

- This one is really simple but I like it. That idea that with love a dissipating force in this world that its worth cherishing the chance to look lovingly at somehow who ultimately isn't even the right person for you - maybe they don't love you back, maybe they don't know you exist, maybe they are purely incompatible, but it doesn't matter.

People seem to have covered some of my favourites here but they are:

“Loving you is a trauma no one else should face or sit still for” - that's just classic Morrissey

"They vote the way they vote
They don't know how to change
Because their parents did the same"

"They look at television
Thinking it's their window to the world
That's got to hurt"

These aren't particularly profound, and on an album littered with incredible lyrics like in his earlier work they'd easily get lost in the shuffle. But they still nonetheless ring true.

"I walked with my Grandmother
Down a wind-blown Chester Road
With her 52 new pence
For her 20 Number 10's
And my 45 pence too
Demand 'Metal Guru'
Once with hearts securely stacked
Then we walked all the way back"

- I love this whole song but particularly this verse. I feel like in 'River' we have Morrissey writing in a style closer to how he wrote a lot of 'Autobiography'. There's just that personal touch to these words, remembering a memory extremely mundane but also so special. Once with hearts securely stacked is beautiful. I love the idea of Moz and Nan out together stocking up on the things they love.

"Take time, be mine, and gaze with fondness on the wrong one."

- This one is really simple but I like it. That idea that with love a dissipating force in this world that its worth cherishing the chance to look lovingly at somehow who ultimately isn't even the right person for you - maybe they don't love you back, maybe they don't know you exist, maybe they are purely incompatible, but it doesn't matter.

Ive come to appreciate this song more so recently by listening closer to the lyrics. I particularly like the last line myself. The

“She would never be again a Dublin dancer free and young”

I walked with my grandmother
Cornbrook Street, where incomplete
She would never be again
A Dublin dancer, free and young

yeah it of course made me think of that to. There’s a weezer bside that does the same thing. So weird for such a specific moment in a song to be so influential either consciously or subconsciously or coincidentally. I love that line (the morrissey one). makes me think of a man on his deathbed muttering mother in some old cliched movie but it really does bring me to tears. The first thing a child does in the morning is to go find his mother and the last thing she might do is give you your teddy bear and tuck you in. I remember my own mother saying one of her fav things was to hear us get up, our footsteps running down the hall. I’m forty now with a four year old and a mother in her mid sixties so I’m especially feeling the burden and anxiety of my perspective when it comes to my own temporal spectrum. It makes this line stand out for me
Interesting that you heard it too and the more I listen it seems very obvious, I think it sounds intentional. On this point I felt the first few lines of Israel from LIHS Moz sounds like George Michael, check it out.

Back
Top Bottom