Best songwriter (so far) of Morrissey's solo career?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date

Best solo songwriter so far?

• Kevin Armstrong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clive Langer

• Mark E. Nevin

• Gary Day

• Spencer Cobrin

• Jesse Tobias

• Mikey Farrell

• Gustavo Manzur

• Total voters
Very tough call between Boz, Alain and Stephen. I went with Boz cause he’s the underdog...plus “Speedway”.

My vote was for Street. Alain would be a very, very, very close 2nd.

I would've loved to have heard a whole album with Kevin Armstrong at the wheel.

i always like to wonder what would have been if riley had stayed in the band. wonder why he didnt do another album with street if it was so liked and well received by everyone including stephen and morrissey.

Stephen Street by a great distance.
The output from 1988 through 1989 was ideal. The perfect balance of indie and commercial pop.

Sister, I'm A Poet
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Will Never Marry
Suedehead
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys ....

......Whyte is still on the starting grid.

and the rest, maudlin street, interesting drug, such a little thing, all are 8 & 9's out of 10. Ouija Board my least fave but still good. Boorer & whyte have both wrote some great songs aswell as some garbage, same goes for Nevin.

Jesse Tobias, definitely. He's a musical genius and, even more importantly, he's very easy on the eye.
The others are a bit second-rate in light of The Smiths: second rate imitation of that pop sound and second-rate imitation of rockabilly etc...

I went with Street, but it was difficult between him and Alain. It could have tipped either way, but Street is a bit more well-rounded in terms of fiddling with the studio knobs.

I would have liked to seen what Andy Rourke would have come up with though. The three songs he wrote were pretty good--there was lots of potential there.

Jesse Tobias, definitely. He's a musical genius and, even more importantly, he's very easy on the eye.
The others are a bit second-rate in light of The Smiths: second rate imitation of that pop sound and second-rate imitation of rockabilly etc...

Nice try, Tobias.

i always like to wonder what would have been if riley had stayed in the band. wonder why he didnt do another album with street if it was so liked and well received by everyone including stephen and morrissey.

Because Riley was a loony during and after the recording sessions.

i always thought it because of the credit argument that went very public which morrissey couldnt stand no matter how he felt about the situation. if thats the reason for riley then what about street? why not do another album with him then if both artist collaborator and fans were so happy (along with the suits as well i guess). my guess is because of the embarrassment of the argument but i dont know. what do you guys think was the reason he didnt do another with street. also hard to argue about riley being a little nuts but he was a hell of a player.

Nice try, Tobias.

I'm sure Jesse is busy writing more genius sweet sweet music with Morrissey.
Besides he is far too sexy to spend time on internet forums. If any of us was half as swish we wouldn't be here and you knows it!

I met Stephen Street today!

He said he's heard Istanbul and really liked it. Hasn't heard the rest of the new album yet.

I told him he was leading this poll, he just laughed.

He's a really nice friendly bloke.

I'd say Alain. Street had a fine burst of songs in a short space of time, but could he have maintained it? "Journalists Who Lie" was a bit of a stinker.

yeah he almost always comes off as very cool and down to earth whenever i see him interviewed. also comes off as a musical obsessive which is cool in my book. i always like to imagine what morrissey would sound like with the people hes rejected that were famous or became famous and what those collaborations would have sounded like (hawley, butler etc). i like to see musicians collaborate for good or ill like when placebo had bowie and micheal stipe or when the manics did stuff with hawley on rewind the film.

I met Stephen Street today!

He said he's heard Istanbul and really liked it. Hasn't heard the rest of the new album yet.

I told him he was leading this poll, he just laughed.

He's a really nice friendly bloke.
One of you's is lying

Back
Top Bottom