Birmingham - Genting Arena (Feb. 27, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / Suedehead / I Wish You Lonely / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / When You Open Your Legs / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I Bury The Living / Back On The Chain Gang / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed / Jack The Ripper / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / Hold On To Your Friends / Home Is A Question Mark / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by Famous when dead.

• Morrissey on irresistible form at the Genting Arena - review, setlist and more by James Rodger (5 photos) - Birmingham Live. Link posted by an anonymous person.

42353_birmingham.jpg
  • Morrissey, Genting Arena, Birmingham - review with pics by Tom Oakley (12 photos by Dave Cox) - Express & Star. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Morrissey review – this once charming man by Kitty Empire (2 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Andrew Fox) - The Observer. Link posted by Uncleskinny (original post).

Last edited:
Pros
Cons
  • World Peace Is None Of Your Business. I’ve tried to love this song so many times. The live version didn’t help.
  • The two drunken ladies in front of me (Block 13) who shrieked and took countless selfies of themselves quaffing during the introductory film show. As the music got louder, they helpfully increased their volume, so we didn’t miss any of their sparkling chat. Thankfully they fell into a drunken sleep during the second song (yes, really) – and didn’t rouse until the encore.
  • The oh-look-at-us-we’re-so-loved-up couple further down who heroically didn’t let the music get in the way of their conversation. They did stop briefly during Spent The Day In Bed, after she yelped “Oh, I know this one!”. She then waved her arms (almost) in time with the music – generously sharing most of her drink with the unfortunate gentleman next to her. But then they soon resumed their giggly chat.
  • The guy nearby who (eventually) folded up his Financial Times (yes, really) then spent the whole concert holding up his camera to video the whole thing. Particularly entertaining when he had to stand up to let people past. Every time I looked over, his gaze was fixed on his camera screen. You must have some great memories of peering at that three-inch screen, mate.
  • The numbers of people who got up to go out for a wee/ drink/ fag. Seriously? You can’t wait an hour and a half? don’t know about you, but I didn’t pay £75 to spend time in a bar/ stand outside in the cold.
  • Twunts vaping. There were some in the eating areas and a lot in the auditorium. They always pretend they’re not doing it (because they know it’s not allowed), but the great clouds of noxious vapour do tend to be a bit of a give-away, you idiots. If I wanted to smell of cloying sweetness and BO, I’d go and work in the Haribo factory.

Wow, brummie has really lost the plot

Brummie is bad enough, but we know have his acolyte posting a:crazy: stupid Jesus on a bike video as if it was funny the first time around. can you imagine a brummie acolyte was asked to be a mod? un fing believable.

A cold Tuesday night on the outskirts of Birmingham with little to no drinking establishments does not make for a great gig experience (imo)

what 'wow' were you sitting in? the one next to tweety bird? lol
if you were sitting in a 'wow' you were too drunk to tell seat from ceiling. face it, it was
sold out, sold out means 100 percent sold out, not 95 percent.. or 97 percent or 99 percent. 100 percent, haters live it.

So his band is stodgy and shit now. Big deal you sad sack of shit

For the attention of:

Mr Steven Patrick Morrissey
Mr Boz Boorer
Mr Jesse Tobias
Mr Mando Lopez
Mr Matt Walker
Mr Gustavo Mansur

Dear Sirs.

Good evening. My name is 'BrummieBoy' and I am an Internet Demon. You will recall I issue very clear and very emphatic instructions to you all to immediately cease and desist from any further outrages against musical and lyrical taste and decency. It has come to my attention that you have flagrantly ignored this final warning and are now 'on tour' in the United Kingdom. In fact, my Secretary informs me that you are all huddled in the tiresome Genting Arena in Birmingham tonight for one of these sacriligeous performances. Sharon said she had some freebie tickets from ***** at Universal and would I like to go? Like? I'd like it as much as I'd like my teeth pulled out with nail clippers, dear. If 'Morrissey' and his band of loopy-tune Dad Rock twits were to turn up outside my house and start 'performing' I'd close the blinds, draw the drapes then summon the environmental pollution officer from Malvern Town Council to stop their nonsense.

An associate of Sharon's then surmised whether or not it would be fun to stage an ironic 'protest' at tonight's show to highlight the multiple crimes against taste and deceny which Morrissey is guilty of, especially his bogus claims to be an animal rights advocate. I had to very firmly remind him that #VegAnarchyInTheUK will do all that with panache, impaling both Morrissey and John Lydon on it's pitchfork-pronged punk metal 3 minute blast against fakery, punk rock Boomers and losers using animal rights issues to flog product, whether that's butter or blathering singalongs like 'Meat Is Murder'. Further, any such 'protests' against this vile charlatan 'Morrissey' would be playing into his hands as it would give him the attention he so feverously craves. Do not feed the troll!

I shall spend the evening relaxing on the sofa after a strenuous month travelling around Europe to watch 20 shows by Nils Frahm. There really is more to music than big-headed singers who pollute your mind with their endless personality crises. I have yet to decide whether or not 'Veganarchy In The UK' will be an instrumental to protest The Hegemony Of The Voice in modern popular music. I may allow some vocoder voices or I may openly impersonate and mock both Morrissey and Lydon by lampooning them with karaoke impressions similar to Kurt Cobain on TOTP with his hilarious slow-drone 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'.
Sharon handed me an A4 sheet with the recent set-lists. What kind of stupidity is involved in somebody voluntarily allowing themselves to be in the same room as these clowns when they strike up 'I Bury The Living'? And paying for that torment? Christ on a fcukin bike!

I had so much fun on this site and I'd like to, once again, extend my thanks to David Tseng for not giving two f***s about Morrissey's whining. I'd also like to confirm that the dire warnings of trolls that they would doxx BrummieBoy have come to naught. You can't doxx someone who's openly visible on the interwebz, darling! I'm also able to confirm that I haven't heard a peep from Morrissey's clown-camp and don't expect to: Unless and until 'VegAnarchy In The UK' is a 'hit' in which case the incorrigible troll Morrissey will feign ignorance of my writings on this site despite studying them like the Bible and will attempt to hook on to any rising response to desperately feed his ego and fantasy of being 'current and contemporary'. He is a has-been. A total flake. If you've paid to go and see him in Birmingham tonight, you're probably just realising you've made an awful mistake as the discordant racket begins to pulse from the speakers.

Enough! The portal must now close, ZoZo! You promised me I wouldn't have to do this anymore but I accept your QWERTYOuija rationale that the final post from Brummieboy debunking Morrissey should be made just as his arthritic pseudo-radical artsy fartsy singalongaSmiths malarkey begins in Birmingham. The city suffered under the Nazis. We'll cope with this sonic blitz tonight but it's sad that there are still delusional cult members prepared to stumble towards that Corporate Rock Whore Shed known as The Genting Arena at the National Exhibition Centre.

With every good wish
yours, in perpetuity

BrummieBoy aka Andy aka Alfie

21:05 Tuesday 27 February 2018

NB: Here are the relevant excerpts from my edict to Morrissey ordering him to stop all this nonsense. He has not complied. He will learn that when the Pope Of Pop issues an edict, it is best to obey. I also note that there are 'alerts' advising me of various responses to my comments. Do not delude yourselves that they were read nor that any replies to this communication will be read, however this site will be checked by Sharon periodically to see if Steven Patrick Morrissey is delusional enough to publicly take on 'BrummieBoy' and has attempted to serve any paperwork even though I'm visible from Mars on the interwebs as you all know. Funny, that, isn't it? Not one of you littel twerps have turned up at my door to 'protest on behalf of Morrissey'. Take my advice, don't. You will not get back to the bus alive....

'Any further provocations in the form of gratuitiously offensive public appearances at 'concerts' or further audio outrages released into the collective ether will result in an entirely more severe level of cursing and hexes to match your petty vexations against music, taste, decency and art.
. Enough is truly enough so just pack up and fcuk right off the stage, lads. Forever.
Caveat: I am in no doubt you will all resign yourselves to copious anti-psychotic medication regimes to Carry On with your delusionality despite this wake-up call from consensual reality orchestrated by ZoZo-Brummie Boy. Perhaps the 'band' will also stagger on with their diva singer-leader, their wounds staunched by prescription chemicals, vainly and pointlessly slogging on, ignoring the smirks of the Audience that will now only attend to mock and giggle at the vast tragic humiliation which has unfolded via BB/ZoZo. So mote if be, if that is what All-That-Is decrees. '

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...17-ser-youtube.141558/page-43#post-1987054081

if you were sitting in a 'wow' you were too drunk to tell seat from ceiling. face it, it was
sold out, sold out means 100 percent sold out, not 95 percent.. or 97 percent or 99 percent. 100 percent, haters live it.

Rather ironic that you take the piss out of a finger slip while typing row, when you have no idea when to use an a in a sentence. And no it was not full, there were a few empty seats, however its possible that the tickets were sold and the purchasers couldn't make it, due to the bad weather. Anyway it was a great concert.

If you read earlier in the thread you will have seen my post saying "it was definitely sold out". You will also see I drank no more than 3 beers so wasn't "too drunk".

I will leave it there - perhaps you were replying to the wrong post.

member: 15609"]Hey QQQ,
I have say I do not believe in the 'self'.
You can only define yourself by what you are doing now.
Searching for some 'lost' identity is an attempt to change.
If it's not too personal for the wallboard, can you tell me what you are searching for?[/QUOTE]

I am defining myself by what I am doing now.
So the self does exist, for me.
Don’t understand what you mean with not thinking or believing that “the self doesn’t exist”.

If the self doesn’t exist are all people the same and they haven’t got a self?

They are all unique and different in appearance and dna. Fysically.
Why would they be the same mentally or in psychological aspect?
Doesn’t make sense to me.

It does remind me about Dawkins, if I am not mistaken he created the expression “the selfish genes”.

More or less a moral judgement as genes are not aware of their selfishness.
I guess there is a similarity there with some people.

It’s just the way the almighty nature works.

I am not searching for a lost identity.
I feel I am not able to lose my identity.

In the modern day societies the impact of the social media is unbelievable and maybe forever changing structures of society.

I would like to minimise my time spent on it and do something else, like creating. I am on the threshold of that now. Could be writing, making music, singing, drawing, sketching, painting.

Done that before the internet started to get me and I let it taken me as a hostage.

But it is nice to communicate with other Moz fans and I like philosophy and exchanging opinions on whatever gets me.

In a way I am privileged as I have the time to do that.

I am very much aware there are millions of people that can’t or even wouldn’t, cause their time is spent everyday on how to survive, how to get food and where to find a place to rest and to sleep. Every moment of the day they think about that and there is no time for philosophy. They have more important priorities.

Which makes philosophy a relatively privileged business for people who have got the time to engage with it.
Like me.

Rather ironic that you take the piss out of a finger slip while typing row, when you have no idea when to use an a in a sentence. And no it was not full, there were a few empty seats, however its possible that the tickets were sold and the purchasers couldn't make it, due to the bad weather. Anyway it was a great concert.

what the A are you talking about? What does a third party not using an 'a' have to do with the fact that you were too out of it to spell properly?

If you read earlier in the thread you will have seen my post saying "it was definitely sold out". You will also see I drank no more than 3 beers so wasn't "too drunk".

I will leave it there - perhaps you were replying to the wrong post.

No I was making a point about people too drunk to recognize a human figure on a seat. they saw empty 'wows'.
You yourself, made perfect sense, since indeed it was 100 percent sold out.

I
No I was making a point about people too drunk to recognize a human figure on a seat. they saw empty 'wows'.
You yourself, made perfect sense, since indeed it was 100 percent sold out.

I really suggest you seek help, you didn't go yet claim to know it was sold out. As I said in an earlier post today and in a post on the night, there were empty seats, about 20 just to my left. It may have been sold out but not everyone turned up, however that may have been due to the weather. Not sure why you struggle with that thought?

I

I really suggest you seek help, you didn't go yet claim to know it was sold out. As I said in an earlier post today and in a post on the night, there were empty seats, about 20 just to my left. It may have been sold out but not everyone turned up, however that may have been due to the weather. Not sure why you struggle with that thought?
Could also be down to ticket touts unable to sell all the tickets they got

Could also be down to ticket touts unable to sell all the tickets they got

Yes, that could be another reason, not sure what his problem is? Gig was great but a bit different for me as my first time seated, we all agreed that it gives a different perspective as we tended to listen to the lyrics more, which i tended not to do in the pit!

I wouldn't offer an explanation for the general lethargy I observed yesterday - there's far too many variables to pin it to one thing.
Morrissey’s voice is what I remember over everything.
There were a lot of younger people amongst us decrepit types and I always like to think seeing him for the first time live might spark an interest for them for much longer - exactly as I did 'way back then'.
The venue, itself, is soulless - I will avoid it as much as possible in the future. The old Academy (RIP) or Symphony Hall saw many more vibrant audience reactions.
Only 3 years have passed since SER posted this video:

Which does leave me wondering what's changed, but I suspect some things may remain a mystery.
Regards,
Never drinking on a weekday night again.
FWD.

Different venue 3 years ago this was at what used to be called the NIA and Tuesday night's show was at the old NEC. Only my 4th time seeing Morrissey but did feel a distanct lack of attack and gusto throughout the gig.

We all have off days.

Different venue 3 years ago this was at what used to be called the NIA and Tuesday night's show was at the old NEC. Only my 4th time seeing Morrissey but did feel a distanct lack of attack and gusto throughout the gig.

We all have off days.

Yes, I went to the NIA one as well, personally i think it’s a better venue. I think it has the same capacity as the NEC but it feels more intimate somehow?

We all have off days.
Odd. My comments were not really about the soulless Genting - they were about the lethargic audience. I'm fully aware of compulsory purchases orders on old, good venues and the shift in town with regards as to where to go for live music. I simply postured what happened in 3 years to make everyone remain seated - in Birmingham - somewhere with normally good enthusiasm. So if it was an 'off day' - why did so many have similar?
I'd also add to the voices here again that say: sell records at the gigs.
The amount of people buying acrylic bobble hats & scarfs @ 25 quid a pop was staggering - put any new releases there ffs.
I enjoyed myself there.
I've seen everything he's done in Birmingham since the start & the response Tuesday was muted - this wasn't as triumphant as SER has indicated - I was just asking why.
20180301_200157.jpg

Non-deafened,
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Odd. My comments were not really about the soulless Genting - they were about the lethargic audience. I'm fully aware of compulsory purchases orders on old, good venues and the shift in town with regards as to where to go for live music. I simply postured what happened in 3 years to make everyone remain seated - in Birmingham - somewhere with normally good enthusiasm. So if it was an 'off day' - why did so many have similar?
I'd also add to the voices here again that say: sell records at the gigs.
The amount of people buying acrylic bobble hats & scarfs @ 25 quid a pop was staggering - put any new releases there ffs.
I enjoyed myself there.
I've seen everything he's done in Birmingham since the start & the response Tuesday was muted - this wasn't as triumphant as SER has indicated - I was just asking why.
Regards,
FWD.

I think the venue has something to do with it. The NIA seems more compact and Im not sure what the standing/seating split is for the 2 venues. At the NIA, wherever you stand you seem close to the stage and even seated it still feels like your close. In the NEC we were at the back and it felt like miles away. Has Morrissey played the NEC before?

member: 15609"]Hey QQQ,
I have say I do not believe in the 'self'.
You can only define yourself by what you are doing now.
Searching for some 'lost' identity is an attempt to change.
If it's not too personal for the wallboard, can you tell me what you are searching for?

I am defining myself by what I am doing now.
So the self does exist, for me.
Don’t understand what you mean with not thinking or believing that “the self doesn’t exist”.

If the self doesn’t exist are all people the same and they haven’t got a self?

They are all unique and different in appearance and dna. Fysically.
Why would they be the same mentally or in psychological aspect?
Doesn’t make sense to me.

It does remind me about Dawkins, if I am not mistaken he created the expression “the selfish genes”.

More or less a moral judgement as genes are not aware of their selfishness.
I guess there is a similarity there with some people.

It’s just the way the almighty nature works.

I am not searching for a lost identity.
I feel I am not able to lose my identity.

In the modern day societies the impact of the social media is unbelievable and maybe forever changing structures of society.

I would like to minimise my time spent on it and do something else, like creating. I am on the threshold of that now. Could be writing, making music, singing, drawing, sketching, painting.

Done that before the internet started to get me and I let it taken me as a hostage.

But it is nice to communicate with other Moz fans and I like philosophy and exchanging opinions on whatever gets me.

In a way I am privileged as I have the time to do that.

I am very much aware there are millions of people that can’t or even wouldn’t, cause their time is spent everyday on how to survive, how to get food and where to find a place to rest and to sleep. Every moment of the day they think about that and there is no time for philosophy. They have more important priorities.

Which makes philosophy a relatively privileged business for people who have got the time to engage with it.
Like me.[/QUOTE]
Hey QQQ,
Guess we better finish this as we are waaaay off topic.
Not too much to disagree with although my meaning has been a little misconstrued but that is my error not yours.

There is no such thing as 'yourself'.
It is a delusion of consciousness.
That wins the prize as the most daft comment ever made in history. The whole collective of scientists had to go for a lie down and some were even crying.
Well done on reducing yourself to nothing.

A handful of empty seats and great reviews from the press
Gig looked totally flat from the videos, but as people have pointed out this is how gigs have gone in our nanny state. Fans should make an effort to create an atmosphere, if that means upsetting someones girlfriend, so what. If you don't want a bit of push n shove, get a seated ticket. Morrissey thrives off the audience in my experience and certainly performs better in smaller venues, Brixton may well be different.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom