Birmingham - Genting Arena (Feb. 27, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / Suedehead / I Wish You Lonely / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / When You Open Your Legs / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / I Bury The Living / Back On The Chain Gang / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed / Jack The Ripper / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / Hold On To Your Friends / Home Is A Question Mark / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by Famous when dead.

• Morrissey on irresistible form at the Genting Arena - review, setlist and more by James Rodger (5 photos) - Birmingham Live. Link posted by an anonymous person.

42353_birmingham.jpg
  • Morrissey, Genting Arena, Birmingham - review with pics by Tom Oakley (12 photos by Dave Cox) - Express & Star. Link posted by Famous when dead.
  • Morrissey review – this once charming man by Kitty Empire (2 of 5 stars, 1 photo by Andrew Fox) - The Observer. Link posted by Uncleskinny (original post).

Last edited:
Yes, that could be another reason, not sure what his problem is? Gig was great but a bit different for me as my first time seated, we all agreed that it gives a different perspective as we tended to listen to the lyrics more, which i tended not to do in the pit!
Been seated at the last couple of moz gigs in Manchester but other than that always been standing, definitely prefer standing and it gives you the option to move if there are some dickheads around

Last edited:
Been seated at the last couple of moz gigs in Manchester but other than that always been standing, definitely prefer standing and it gives you the option to move if there some dickheads around
The worst dickhead at a gig ever was this guy in front of me at a Simple Minds gig late 80's in Gothenburg. The guy was simply there to push people around and he spent the entire night doing so. Not being affected by it I watched in amazement thinking why on earth someone would go to a gig for such a meaningless task in his sparetime. In the end I pushed him so hard he hurt his neck and the show was stopped as he had to be carried out by ambulance men.
Most often than not you can see by their looks what they are and where they come from. Their faces scream broken toys and alcoholic parents and a mother beaten by strangers coming and going. These people have a certain look in their eye and having dealt with a few they are strangely weak mentally so that when you push them a bit or beat them up they completely break down and start crying like kids.
I saw one in the store tonight and the eyes and the entire body language screamed dickhead and I remember seeing him somewhere when he was acting as one. These people can be tricky to handle if you handle them like you would a normal person but you need to be harder and more vocal than a police officer under fire.
Violence is much needed or else these dickheads will invade your space all the time so just hit them hard where it leaves no marks like the throat or give them a whiplash for life cause most people have very weak neck muscles.

Gig looked totally flat from the videos, but as people have pointed out this is how gigs have gone in our nanny state. Fans should make an effort to create an atmosphere, if that means upsetting someones girlfriend, so what. If you don't want a bit of push n shove, get a seated ticket. Morrissey thrives off the audience in my experience and certainly performs better in smaller venues, Brixton may well be different.

It wasn't totally flat but there didn't seem to be much going on down the front. Its frustrating when standing sells out in no time and then they all stand there like statues. Your right about the smaller venues, Hammersmith in 15 was mental!

It wasn't totally flat but there didn't seem to be much going on down the front. Its frustrating when standing sells out in no time and then they all stand there like statues. Your right about the smaller venues, Hammersmith in 15 was mental!
I went to Hull in 2015, gig before Hammersmith?, their was atmosphere there, quite mad at the front that night. Think I'm right in saying Morrissey threatened to never play the UK again prior to those gigs, as a result of a pathetic attendance at Plymouth Pavillions, was a good performance at Plymouth mind.

I am defining myself by what I am doing now.
So the self does exist, for me.
Don’t understand what you mean with not thinking or believing that “the self doesn’t exist”.

If the self doesn’t exist are all people the same and they haven’t got a self?

They are all unique and different in appearance and dna. Fysically.
Why would they be the same mentally or in psychological aspect?
Doesn’t make sense to me.

It does remind me about Dawkins, if I am not mistaken he created the expression “the selfish genes”.

More or less a moral judgement as genes are not aware of their selfishness.
I guess there is a similarity there with some people.

It’s just the way the almighty nature works.

I am not searching for a lost identity.
I feel I am not able to lose my identity.

In the modern day societies the impact of the social media is unbelievable and maybe forever changing structures of society.

I would like to minimise my time spent on it and do something else, like creating. I am on the threshold of that now. Could be writing, making music, singing, drawing, sketching, painting.

Done that before the internet started to get me and I let it taken me as a hostage.

But it is nice to communicate with other Moz fans and I like philosophy and exchanging opinions on whatever gets me.

In a way I am privileged as I have the time to do that.

I am very much aware there are millions of people that can’t or even wouldn’t, cause their time is spent everyday on how to survive, how to get food and where to find a place to rest and to sleep. Every moment of the day they think about that and there is no time for philosophy. They have more important priorities.

Which makes philosophy a relatively privileged business for people who have got the time to engage with it.
Like me.
Hey QQQ,
Guess we better finish this as we are waaaay off topic.
Not too much to disagree with although my meaning has been a little misconstrued but that is my error not yours.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for misunderstanding your post.
I will pm you if you don’t mind. To avoid the nuisance of being off topic.
I am interested in your opinion on not thinking or believing that the “self” exists.

Hey QQQ,
Not too much to disagree with although my meaning has been a little misconstrued but that is my error not yours.

I am interested in your opinion on not thinking or believing that the “self” exists.[/QUOTE]
Hey QQQ,
Not too much to disagree with although my meaning has been a little misconstrued but that is my error not yours.

I am interested in your opinion on not thinking or believing that the “self” exists.[/QUOTE]
Hey QQQ,
PM me. That would be great!

I went to Hull in 2015, gig before Hammersmith?, their was atmosphere there, quite mad at the front that night. Think I'm right in saying Morrissey threatened to never play the UK again prior to those gigs, as a result of a pathetic attendance at Plymouth Pavillions, was a good performance at Plymouth mind.

He didn't threaten. He announced that the London concerts were actually going to be his last ever in the UK (in order to try and sell more tickets). He lied. He lies a lot. Surely we've all worked that out by now.

He didn't threaten. He announced that the London concerts were actually going to be his last ever in the UK (in order to try and sell more tickets). He lied. He lies a lot. Surely we've all worked that out by now.
It worked though, filled the venues & created some passion, should he do it again?

Ok. So the crowd were not bouncing in Birmingham, but we don’t go to watch the crowd, we go to see Morrissey and he was fab. That said, most people were singing along, just not bouncing. Some people aren’t happy unless they’re moaning.

In the future when all is well and truly f***ed, people won't be able to read or write or speak in proper sentences. Books will be burned and houses will be invaded when neighbours can't afford to pay their electricity bills after charging their phones for 23 hours of the day. People will starve to death as they forget all bodily functions as they stare into the abyss of the smart phone. It will he worse than The Walking Dead because at least the shuffling zombies we know today get some exercise as they slowly follow their victims. Future zombies will die from couch sores. Armageddon Days Are Here (Again).

1. People already are unable to speak in proper sentences; especially if you've arrived via time machine from the past.
2. Books will be burned because the ones left over are starting to smell like shit, and are now the homes of insects.
3. Phones won't need to be charged in the future. Future generations will marvel at the fact that we even relied on electricity.
4. People have always starved to death for all kinds of reasons. People have always killed themselves and others for all kinds of reasons.
5. The human world has always been a grotesque playground of of broken dreams, and naive expectations. Get over it.
6. The future is not yours to worry about.

Hang on now, Moz has attacked young people and other people too a lot in recent years. In fact, he attacks people over their behaviour and how they look and what political belief they have all the time. You really need to take off the Moz glasses and wake up. Why is your young generation having this idea that Morrissey is about love and peace and harmony when he sings about killers and gangsters and make political statements that challenge yours big time.
You're Bambi on ice here and your name's not even Danny Welbeck.

giphy.gif

For the same reason the older fans keep repeating that nauseating line "it takes guts to be gentle and kind" any time they receive messages they find rude, and obnoxious.

Morrissey has premised his entire persona on at being at least partially vicious, and aggressive in his assessment of others to the point of condoning violence. Many fans took those lyrics as some kind of fundamental principle in the Morrissey manifesto when it was just a sentimental ideal meant for the context of a particular song. Morrissey never emphasized that attitude in his public commentary.

Quite the opposite, actually.

That wins the prize as the most daft comment ever made in history. The whole collective of scientists had to go for a lie down and some were even crying.
Well done on reducing yourself to nothing.
For someone who cannot stop talking about themself I am not surprised that you find the notion challenging.
And by the way, the problem of 'self' is been a perennial and persistent puzzle for phycologists and philosophers alike for centuries.
But I wouldn't expect such questions to bother a Nazi.
( I am hoping this atleast will get a reaction out of you. Your lack of a response to my last post was disappointing. I need trolls to play with).

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom