Bits of WPINOYB that remind you of other songs

'I'm Not A Man' - the way he sings 'to describe' can segue to the chorus of Marianne Faithfull's 'As Tears Go By'.

'Smiler With a Knife' - Radiohead's 'Karma Police' segueing to Nirvana's cover of 'The Man Who Stole The World' as others pointed out.

'Julie in the Weeds' - 'I Don't Owe You Anything'

'Forgive Someone' - Kate Bush's 'Cloudbursting'

'Drag The River' - "Join Me Join Me Join Me Join Me" - 'I Keep Mine Hidden'

'Mountjoy' - Green Day's 'Time of Your Life'

'Art Hounds' - a Bruce Springsteen album production

"One of Our Own" has a certain mid-'90s-era And Also The Trees-ishness to it that I really love. I can't even pinpoint one particular AATT song it sounds like, but I dig it. I never thought I'd be comparing a Morrissey song to AATT!

The beginning of "Scandinavia" makes me think of Twin Peaks/David Lynch movies/Angelo Badalamenti every time it starts.

My husband commented that "Julie in the Weeds" sounds like John Mellencamp's "Cherry Bomb," which is grounds for potential divorce.

Human Wheels by John Mellencamp and Oboe Concerto - round and round, she may be onto something.

When I heard the babies/rabies bit in Neal Cassady Drops Dead, I keep thinking there was another song that has used the same rhyme. At first I thought it was a Nirvana song - but last night it came to me, it's Freak by Silverchair "no more maybes/your babies got rabies"

Also, in Staircase after "her head smashed three ways" I hear that "preeety" bit in Laid by James.

The hand clap sounds towards the end of Staircase At The University (during the "Crammin', jammin', pack-em-in rammin'.." verses) are nearly identical in terms of timing and sound to those used in Springsteen's We Take Care Of Our Own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHPx3RghAKw#t=1m10s

I was listening to Oboe Concerto and thought of Death of a Disco Dancer...anyone?

I've listened to these two,one after the other, and i do see your point!

I can't get over the similarity between the first verse of Oboe Concerto and Death of a Disco Dancer. It's practically the same song. Can someone make a mashup, please?

One of the songs - I'm afraid I can't remember which as it's all much of a muchness - has an almost identical bit to the opening of Eno's 'Here Come the Warm Jets' (song, not album).

One of the songs - I'm afraid I can't remember which as it's all much of a muchness - has an almost identical bit to the opening of Eno's 'Here Come the Warm Jets' (song, not album).

This comes in and out of Drag the River. It's not quite the same, but it is strongly reminiscent. Both absolutely beautiful songs, either way...

The beginning of Forgive Someone and the beginning of Lifguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning

Intro to Neal Cassady reminds me of intro to "This Is The Day" by The The
Intro to Bullfighter reminds me of "Clover over Dover" by Blur
Intro to Kick The Bride reminds me of "Wetsuit" by The Vaccines

similar

so i was listening to bona drag just now and was wondering if anyone else heard a similarity between the rhythms disappointed and istanbul or if im just going nuts from having world peace on repeat this week?

disappointed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i9rL-rtX8c

istanbul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcGGojgYZQw

i think im just listening to much but everyone else here im sitting here with said different. settle a bet anyone (i love the song istanbul, just sayin)

Good call on the Silverchair. Thanks for moving my post by the way, I forgot about this thread. Gotta say I can't hear ask in kiss me a lot as ask has some crazy guitar parts and is an ascending progression. Hard to play imo

Back
Top Bottom