Bloc Party's Kele Okereke: “I’ve never experienced such widespread public racism” - NME

Kele Okereke: “I’ve never experienced such widespread public racism” - NME
Bloc Party’s Kele Okereke opens up about Brexit Britain, Brandon Flowers' comments on Morrissey, the artists failing to fight far right rhetoric, and his ambitious new album '2042'

Excerpt:

“This idea of a multi-cultural Britain, that there is now somehow resistance towards it, is something that I’ve never experienced in my life [until] now,” he continues. “And it’s not just the politicians and the media. It’s the artists too.” With the exception, he says, of artists like Slowthai, Idles and Billy Bragg who are continually questioning and holding discrimination to account, too many are complicit – many more, he says, are even encouraging it.

“I think of the comments that Morrissey recently made and his support for Britain First. It’s clear to me that there is an idea of Britain and Britishness that is supposed to exclude people who are non-white and this idea is becoming more and more prominent.

“As a black musician who was born in the UK and who lives in the UK, I found it very disheartening that none of my peers really came out to publicly counter Morrissey’s recent comments and behaviour. I found that personally quite dispiriting and even worse, the only comments by musicians seemed to be in support of him – like Brandon Flowers.” Ahead of The Killers headline set at Glastonbury, Flowers told NME that Morrissey was “still a king” despite his problematic political views.

“Brandon Flowers is basically saying it doesn’t matter what Morrissey says, he’s still a revered icon,” Okereke tells us. “I think that’s bullshit and I think Brandon Flowers is bullshit. It does matter. It absolutely matters what people say and the fact that no one is willing to challenge him on this to me is quite disgusting. Shame on him and shame on Morrissey.”

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Kele is also a 'militant queer' which probably adds to the spud sized chip of self-hate on his shoulder.

Last edited:
Imagine marking something down because some other musician called your hero a racist. You sad f***s.
The ONLY SAD f*** is you, UppityFallacy - you have made quite the mark on here, along with your OTHER pseudonyms - and can't fathom even the slightest of news NOT being as negative as you are to ANYONE who disagrees with you.

I see the racists on this thread are denying being racists by being racist.
and as such, I see you, the Supreme JACKASS, denying being a JACKASS by being a JACKASS

So who are the bigots then?

I just think that people with an ethnic background are a very heterogenous group. A good number of them truly wish to live in our countries, share many of our values and norms, and are participating in positive ways. But t can't be said of all of them. Some cramp together in their packed ethnic communities, with no interest in the society surrounding them, or in the worst case, hostility towards the society surrounding them. And I understand that there are limits to how much of the latter sort a society can tolerate. I just don't buy into easy solutions.

I don't like the Alt-right for turning white people against all the others. I don't like the progressive left when trying to protect them all under their pc umbrella. Unfortunately, a nuanced discussion on this topic is difficult to achieve. My personal conclusion is that it isn't even worth aiming for on this board. Enough said.

1. Bigot - singular, although you might be easily confused into thinking there are many, owing to the unhealthy number of multiple aliases used to support that minority, singular view.

2. "A good number of them truly wish to live in our countries, share many of our values and norms, and are participating in positive ways. But t [sic] can't be said of all of them."

- agreed; I know some decent black & Asian people, mainly through work, & they are decent, respectable people, but sadly, the latter group which you refer to, are now in the majority/ascendancy, & it's that ascendancy which has the stronger influence on peoples' viewpoint, unfortunately. I didn't say there was an easy solution, & the article in question focused on a single, negative dimension...& that's why it appeared on this site, courtesy of the bigot I mentioned; it fits his crusading agenda to malign Moz.

3. I don't like the Alt-right for turning white people against all the others. I don't like the progressive left when trying to protect them all under their pc umbrella.

-again we agree; but there are several flavours of right on the 'right' continuum which appeal to certain types of people; mild-right, right, far-right, extreme-right. Obviously this is mirrored on the left too.

I think, depending on the subject matter, people move along this continuum & find where they sit most comfortably in relation to that particular issue. It's not therefore true, or realistic to say that a person is on the 'right' as a person, but maybe he/she is on a particular issue.

For example, I could be pro-animal rights, & when I look around none of the main political parties stand for anything to do with animal rights, so I look elsewhere & see a certain party is strong on animal rights, so I align with that singular view. I might not align with all their views & I may not ever vote for them, but I might think they have something good to say on that particular point.

4. "Unfortunately, a nuanced discussion on this topic is difficult to achieve. My personal conclusion is that it isn't even worth aiming for on this board."

- Totally agree. But, the reaction which has been shown here has been, mainly, reaction to the article's claims/comments, particularly where they refer to Moz directly (it is/was a Moz fan site I believe afterall) and the pushing of the 'agenda' which the article contains, & the individual comments by the bigot & aliases, to which I've already referred.

Moz has done/said nothing wrong & most certainly is not racist; some people attempt to have us believe otherwise by foisting their views on us, on here. Take it elsewhere & let the fans enjoy being fans.

Christ, you’re a tedious c***. Your posts seem like the product of an algorithm designed to shuffle right-wing cliches. Go felch Enoch Powell’s decomposing corpse.

Enid Blyton was always repetitive shit (probably why you feel an affinity for her), that’s a good enough reason to boycot her.

Brilliantly insightful replies, as ever.

Glad you drew attention to the fact that whites have never felt such anti-white racism until recently either.

The liberal-left in Britain want to destroy every single thing that British people hold dear. The children's writer Enid Blyton is but one small example. Generations of British children grew up on her wonderfully innocent tales, but now the left are dragging her name through the mud calling her a racist etc (all the usual nonsense) even though her views were typical of her time - and it is her creative output that people are interested in anyway.

Most people in Britain accepted 'diversity' when it was in small doses. Then things began to ramp up. Increasingly the establishment adopted the practices of the authoritarian liberal-left so that now there is an institutionalized hierarchy of 'valued citizens'. At the bottom are the white working class who are being trod into the mud by the blacks, migrants, Muslims and gays who are crowned and heralded as the most valued at the top.

The people pushing this agenda are the metropolitan liberal elite. This is reflected in advertising and TV etc also (which treats the white working class as they don't actually exist) so is it any wonder that there is a growing backlash to the diversity and multicultural propaganda we have been fed for decades.

In the last census of 2011 whites made up only 44% percent of London. This came as even a shock to the liberal-left who had predicted it would take many decades before whites would become a minority in their own capital city. Next up is for Brits to become a minority in their own country. The liberal-left can't wait for this, but many people are waking up to this imminent reality and realizing that the decades of propaganda and guilt-inducing accusations of racism and privilege was all just a ploy for a Great Replacement.

The authoritarian liberal left are the true racists - and both Labour and the Tories have adopted its systems. Just look at the crap they want to teach young kids in schools, and this is under a Conservative government. These people want to undermine the British people and eventually wipe them off the map.

Christ, you’re a tedious c***. Your posts seem like the product of an algorithm designed to shuffle right-wing cliches. Go felch Enoch Powell’s decomposing corpse.

Enid Blyton was always repetitive shit (probably why you feel an affinity for her), that’s a good enough reason to boycot her.
You don't need to read my musings, nobody forces you, but you just can't resist... time after time.

Therefore I'm ever glad to make your life a more enriching experience. x

I can almost relate to Morrissey's devout sense of 1960's nationalism; don't we all share nostalgia for our youth?

The difference, however, is that while I pine for a time when Cadbury's was actually made with real cream, Morrissey supports a political party that wishes their country was whiter.

If you can't find anything abhorrent about that, I truly feel sad for you.

So do you also hope China becomes less yellow and that Africa gets less black? There's nothing evil or racist about wanting to maintain the demographics of your country and it's people's history and lineage

So do you also hope China becomes less yellow and that Africa gets less black? There's nothing evil or racist about wanting to maintain the demographics of your country and it's people's history and lineage
Apostrophe misuse is like a badge of honor for you racist f***s, isn’t it?

Hint: what you’ve described is pretty close to the textbook definition of racism, you brainless sack of sputum.

Hint: what you’ve described is pretty close to the textbook definition of racism, you brainless sack of sputum.

Racism is hating another race. I don't hate any races but you seem to be a self hating white, probably from having a lack of a strong male role model. European/American countries have the right to protect their own country and culture just as Iranians or Africans do.

You don't get it and lefties laugh AT people whereas right wing people laugh along WITH people. Lefties are worker bees and right wing the thinkers.

It must be so easy to become a vegan and lose all your brains and just turn yourself into a zombie screaming the loudest.

What a life, eh?

Racism is hating another race. I don't hate any races but you seem to be a self hating white, probably from having a lack of a strong male role model. European/American countries have the right to protect their own country and culture just as Iranians or Africans do.

Right on the money there!! Great response generally.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom