Morrissey Central "BMG DUMP MORRISSEY" (November 16, 2020)

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/bmg-dump-morrissey

fin...

Excerpt:

BMG Records have dropped Morrissey. Following the March 2020 release of I AM NOT A DOG ON A CHAIN
(#1 Scotland, #1 Poland, #3 Britain, #3 France, #10 Spain, #13 Germany, #2, #9, #17, #18 U.S.A. - depending
on which official chart you follow), BMG have appointed a new Executive who does not want another Morrissey
album. Instead, the new BMG Executive has announced new plans for 'diversity' within BMG's artist roster, and
all projected BMG Morrissey releases/reissues have been scrapped.

"This news is perfectly in keeping with the relentless galvanic horror of 2020," said Morrissey, "we would be critically insane to expect anything positive."

Morrissey is once again in search of a new label willing to release his music.

"My three albums with BMG have been the best of my career, and I stand by them till death. Recording them has been a pivotal period in my life, and I thank the previous BMG team and everyone involved for that. It's still important to me to do music my own way, and I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave - especially when the word 'talent' is notably never mentioned."

Morrissey's duet with David Bowie is now available on Parlophone via Warner.

"There are too many cases of successful artists languishing at labels who are no longer interested in them." Alistair Norbury, BMG.

Morrissey's Las Vegas residency remains in place for 2021.

above quotes collected by V.Pearson for M.Central.
full interview will be printed shortly.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
We can argue about whether or not he's a racist but that's irrelevant to this case. People believe Morrissey is racist and can produce evidence to back it up, therefore it is entirely understandable that a company that is vocally anti-racism would want to end its relationship with him.
‘Evidence’. I wonder if it would stand up in a court of law.

Mind you, with Mozzer on the stand, it probably would.

Bizarre comment. Morrissey has provided the chart statistics in his statement. The album was number 3 in the UK and higher in Poland. A hit. Moreover Morrissey may have some thought-provoking and controversial views however ‘racism’ is a tad unfounded.
Which is the bigge “hit”?...

a) Morrissey’s new album, with a total of 5000 sales and one day on the Charts?

b) Tiny Tim’s “Tiptoe through the Tulips, re-entering the charts after 40 years and 75,000,000 in total sales?

c) The sound of a Steve fan’s head bouncing off the floor after tripping over their own clown shoes?

‘Evidence’. I wonder if it would stand up in a court of law.

Mind you, with Mozzer on the stand, it probably would.
Who's talking about a court of law? No-one except you because - again - it's irrelevant. BMG are well within their rights to decline to negotiate a new contract with Morrissey for any reason they see fit.

Who's talking about a court of law? No-one except you because - again - it's irrelevant. BMG are well within their rights to decline to negotiate a new contract with Morrissey for any reason they see fit.
I wasn’t talking about BMG, because - again - you missed my point. You said people could produce ‘evidence’ he is a racist. I questioned that ‘evidence’.

And since when do you set the parameters of what’s relevant around here?

Yes it was number 3 on Friday and had dropped out of the charts by Monday after selling circa 7k copies. He doesn't have a guaranteed market and that's probably part of the reason they parted company.

From Music Week:

After a three year absence, Morrissey returns to the albums chart with his 13th studio offering. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain is the follow-up to 2017’s Low In High School and slides neatly into place at No.3 with 6,720 sales. It is his 15th solo Top 10 album in all and his first to reach the Top 3 since World Peace Is None Of Your Business reached No.2 in 2014.

It's a shame because "I am not a dog on a chain" deserved so much more. If only he hadn't alienated so many fans.

I don’t really think that the US statistics matter. The album did welll in Europe.
No no. The American market doesn’t matter. People actually buy vinyl there. Just ignore that lot. One’s sales success need only consider Poland and Lichtenstein! The true measure of success is achieving number 1, even if the release is only up against 40 year old reissues. ...and even if it’s only on the charts for 20 minutes - with 5000 units, sold to 1000 people.

LOVING the trail of nonsense left by these apologist slugs. The laughs are why I come here.

Thank you all!

I wasn’t talking about BMG, because - again - you missed my point. You said people could produce ‘evidence’ he is a racist. I questioned that ‘evidence’.

If I missed your point then it was because it was either badly made or irrelevant. I am addressing a possible reason why BMG dropped Morrissey nothing more. Your mentioning courts of law is irrelevant.

I accept that a few people may believe this. However the point is that his chart placings in Europe are still high.
It's about sales numbers, not chart placings. Record companies make money on sales, not chart placings.

If I missed your point then it was because it was either badly made or irrelevant. I am addressing a possible reason why BMG dropped Morrissey nothing more. Your mentioning courts of law is irrelevant.
You’re not a University lecturer are you? Because I pity your students if you are.

And again, who made you the decider of what is relevant or not? I know you’d like to think you boss this forum, but you don’t.

Not many fans would not have bought multiple coloured vinyl versions plus a cassette version. That would be obsessives only.
No, there wouldn't have been that many but those multiple version pre-sales are what helps propel a release to a high place in the charts - that's why record companies like them.

Have you any evidence that ‘I Am Not a Dog on a Chain’ wasn’t profitable?
No but on those low sales I'd be astonished if it made much once you account for marketing and the like. And I think the more relevant point is that it wasn't profitable enough to warrant BMG's keeping on an artist who was, in marketing and PR terms, a bit of a liability for the reason I mentioned earlier.
I do wonder if they'd have dropped him if 'Dog' had sold ten million though.

Racists say racist shit. People who are not racist do not say racist shit. There’s nothing “edgy” about it.

Please remind me again... How long until your tiny island f***s off? Kindly surrender your passport and step back one meter from the border. You’ve made your choice clear. Please enjoy your Cornish pasties, bread-pudding and turnip soufflé. Relish in the summers at Brighton beach. ...and fly your flag!!!! Don’t forget to fly your flag because that’s the only thing you’re gonna be flying.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom