BMG signing other bands

Artist-centric

It looks like that was just Morrissey blaming people of color for his own failings.

Utter bollocks.

Whoever wrote the post (probably Sam) blamed the executive - BMG have appointed a new Executive who does not want another Morrissey album

& Morrissey said - I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave.

So a deal was obviously dependant on him doing something he didn't want to do - probably media/social media.

Utter bollocks.

Whoever wrote the post (probably Sam) blamed the executive - BMG have appointed a new Executive who does not want another Morrissey album

& Morrissey said - I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave.

So a deal was obviously dependant on him doing something he didn't want to do - probably media/social media.
As usual, you're glossing over the operative line but no one can stop you from doing your thing.

As usual, you're glossing over the operative line but no one can stop you from doing your thing.

No, Verso - I'm not.

You picking up on a word to shit on him does not make it the 'operative line'- & you should have enough experience of record companies to know that an executive saying he wants more diversity is meaningless bullsh*t.

No, Verso - I'm not.

You picking up on a word to shit on him does not make it the 'operative line'- & you should have enough experience of record companies to know that an executive saying he wants more diversity is meaningless bullsh*t.
But the alleged modus operandi of this executive is irrelevant, it's Morrissey's decision to blame "diversity" in his statement that comes off as bitter and racist; a remark that's indistinguishable from the knee-jerk "they're taking our jobs" rhetoric of your average xenophobe.

And even if it was just Sam writing it, are we still expected to act like Morrissey is somehow ignorant of the things that his spokesman expresses for him? How long do we keep that charade up? I already know your answer, but I mean the rest of us.

But the alleged modus operandi of this executive is irrelevant, it's Morrissey's decision to blame "diversity" in his statement that comes off as bitter and racist; a remark that's indistinguishable from the knee-jerk "they're taking our jobs" rhetoric of your average xenophobe.

And even if it was just Sam writing it, are we still expected to act like Morrissey is somehow ignorant of the things that his spokesman expresses for him? How long do we keep that charade up? I already know your answer, but I mean the rest of us.

That's absolute bollocks - his band isn't all white & he's not straight. He meets the diversity criteria.

He's complaining that they're trying to make him conform - & therefore the executive is talking guff. Which of course he is.

Someone at BMG has obviously told him to sort out his publicity. And he doesn't want to.

Absolutely sod all to do with any other artists who might get signed.

Yeah, no shit. But that's not what he's attempting to imply in his childish statement.

It's exactly what he was saying & it's not childish. There is huge pressure in the arts to bland yourself out in a way that won't attract negative clickbait or pile-ons.

And he's been up against it from the start. Sire stopped plugging the Smiths because Rolling Stone printed that he was gay.

IMG_20210805_005539.jpg

Yeah, no shit. But that's not what he's attempting to imply in his childish statement.
But the alleged modus operandi of this executive is irrelevant, it's Morrissey's decision to blame "diversity" in his statement

Is Morrissey blaming diversity or is he blaming a BMG executive’s reason/decision/excuse to drop him because they supposedly want ‘diversity’.

And what does BMG mean when they say ‘diversity’? As Nerak
pointed out, Morrissey and band can fall under that category.

And later in the statement, Morrissey states ...

It's still important to me to do music my own way, and I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave - especially when the word 'talent' is notably never mentioned."

So Nerak may have something there
when she wrote ...

‘his band isn't all white & he's not straight. He meets the diversity criteria.

He's complaining that they're trying to make him conform - & therefore the executive is talking guff. Which of course he is.

Someone at BMG has obviously told him to sort out his publicity. And he doesn't want to.

I feel that this viewpoint should be taken into consideration before finger pointing and name calling.

It's exactly what he was saying & it's not childish. There is huge pressure in the arts to bland yourself out in a way that won't attract negative clickbait or pile-ons.

And he's been up against it from the start. Sire stopped plugging the Smiths because Rolling Stone printed that he was gay.
You're missing the point. If Morrissey wanted to run with the "they're trying to tell me what to do and I refuse to do it" angle, he would've chosen those words. He'd still get to play the victim and maintain his image as an iconoclast pushing against the suits at the record label. But that's not what he chose to say.

The racial makeup and his sexual orientation have nothing to do with anything and you're, as usual, performing mental acrobatics to make apologies for something very clearly expressed in his rather succinct message.

You're missing the point. If Morrissey wanted to run with the "they're trying to tell me what to do and I refuse to do it" angle, he would've chosen those words. He'd still get to play the victim and maintain his image as an iconoclast pushing against the suits at the record label. But that's not what he chose to say.

The racial makeup and his sexual orientation have nothing to do with anything and you're, as usual, performing mental acrobatics to make apologies for something very clearly expressed in his rather succinct message.

Verso - he did choose those words.

He is saying that he's refusing to go along with their strategy.

The 2 quotes from the executive are there to illustrate that he's full of shit.

His sexuality & his band's ethnicity have everything to do with it - what else do you think a commitment to diversity is?

Yes, and here they are ....

“It's still important to me to do music my own way, and I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave - especially when the word 'talent' is notably never mentioned."

His sexuality & his band's ethnicity have everything to do with it - what else do you think a commitment to diversity is?

And what strategy is that? And what "quotes" from the executive are you citing? What do you even think you're talking about? Morrissey wasn't dropped by BMG for anything that has to do with diversity. He wasn't even dropped. If you buy that, you'll buy anything.

If you read this article, BMG's CEO makes it explicitly clear that their diversity initiative is focused squarely on the reevaluation of exploitative old contracts with black artists and their own internal staff. It has absolutely nothing to do with the ethnic makeup of the artists on their roster or a commitment to signing non-white talent.

Like I said, I'm willing to credit Sam for the line about diversity in the opening paragraph of that Central post. But unlike you, I refuse to believe that Morrissey is so detached from his brand that he doesn't know what gets posted on his "official" website.

And what strategy is that? And what "quotes" from the executive are you citing? What do you even think you're talking about? Morrissey wasn't dropped by BMG for anything that has to do with diversity. He wasn't even dropped. If you buy that, you'll buy anything.

If you read this article, BMG's CEO makes it explicitly clear that their diversity initiative is focused squarely on the reevaluation of exploitative old contracts with black artists and their own internal staff. It has absolutely nothing to do with the ethnic makeup of the artists on their roster or a commitment to signing non-white talent.

Like I said, I'm willing to credit Sam for the line about diversity in the opening paragraph of that Central post. But unlike you, I refuse to believe that Morrissey is so detached from his brand that he doesn't know what gets posted on his "official" website.

Ffs.

Instead, the new BMG Executive has announced new plans for 'diversity' within BMG's artist roster.

"There are too many cases of successful artists languishing at labels who are no longer interested in them." Alistair Norbury, BMG

Morrissey said:

My three albums with BMG have been the best of my career, and I stand by them till death. Recording them has been a pivotal period in my life, and I thank the previous BMG team and everyone involved for that. It's still important to me to do music my own way, and I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave - especially when the word 'talent' is notably never mentioned."

There is absolutely no way their diversity policies are only about old contracts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ffs.

Instead, the new BMG Executive has announced new plans for 'diversity' within BMG's artist roster.

"There are too many cases of successful artists languishing at labels who are no longer interested in them." Alistair Norbury, BMG

Morrissey said:

My three albums with BMG have been the best of my career, and I stand by them till death. Recording them has been a pivotal period in my life, and I thank the previous BMG team and everyone involved for that. It's still important to me to do music my own way, and I wouldn't want to be on a label that dictates so specifically how their artists should behave - especially when the word 'talent' is notably never mentioned."

There is absolutely no way their diversity policies are only about old contracts.
Well, you can either look to the link that I just posted which features the actual sentiments of BMG’s CEO or you can continue to consult your vivid delusion which is where you get all of your Morrissey information in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom