Bona Drag reissue 4th Oct, remastered & extra tracks

Bill Zero

Just heard this on Radcliffe Maconie radio show.

6 'new' tracks including Happy Lovers United, Oh Phoney, Let The Right One Slip In, Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness

Overseen by Moz himself, released on vinyl and CD on the 'Major Minor' label.

Not sure of a release date.

Re: Bona Drag reissue, remastered, extra tracks

Ah, well, I see now that this is all over True To You in much greater detail. Apologies if this was old news to you.

Sounds absolutely f**king excellent! :D

"more Morrissey news next month" oh please please let this mean gigs, autobiography news, and/or news about a new album and record deal. :pray:

Sounds absolutely f**king excellent! :D

"more Morrissey news next month" oh please please let this mean gigs, autobiography news, and/or news about a new album and record deal. :pray:

Lol i didn't even notice this bit! I hope he isn't touring again, I have about 10 quid to my name :(

I like the specifics, "more news next month". At least we have a time frame to wonder what it will be (and to put an end to the wonder). ;) This is all very exciting! :D

Lol i didn't even notice this bit! I hope he isn't touring again, I have about 10 quid to my name :(

Me too actually. :( In fact you can all thank me for this, bc last week I spent almost all my savings to buy a down-on-her-luck horse, knowing that the minute the check cleared the bank Morrissey would announce a worldwide tour. So if that happens, you're welcome. ;)

"more news to come".....October/Nov Tour Dates??? (please not september as im on holiday for a week)

Good idea, something to look forward to ... the bad news is that the tracks will be remastered, so this is gonna be LOUD!

Excellent news!

Glad to know the meeting took place on 24th June 2010 was very rewarding one. :)

From http://true-to-you.net:
To celebrate its 20th Anniversary, on 27th September, EMI will release through the resurrected 1960s Major Minor label, with Morrissey's full cooperation, a remastered Special Edition of Bona Drag.

Originally released to much acclaim in October 1990, Bona Drag perfectly captures Morrissey's effortless transition in becoming a solo artist. It brings together his exceptional first seven singles, four of which went Top 10: his triumphant Top 5 debut, "Suedehead"; the anthemic, apocalyptic lament to wet seaside towns, "Everyday Is Like Sunday"; "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys"; and "Interesting Drug". The Top 20s "Ouija Board, Ouija Board", "November Spawned A Monster", and "Piccadilly Palare" and a selection of high quality b-sides from the singles complete the album.

The compilation has now been remastered and overseen by Morrissey, and is updated with the addition of six previously unreleased and much coveted songs from the era:

- "Happy Lovers At Last United"
(Outtake from "Sunday" sessions)

- "Lifeguard On Duty"
(Outtake from Viva Hate sessions)

- "Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness" (demo)
(Outtake from Viva Hate, previously covered by Sandie Shaw)

- "Oh Phoney"
(Outtake from Bona Drag sessions)

- "The Bed Took Fire" (early version of "At Amber")

- "Let The Right One Slip In" (alternate long mix)

Directing the artwork for the reissue, Morrissey has chosen to return the cover art - taken from the "November" video - back to its natural colour, so his shirt is black. In addition, he has also decided to update the back and inner artwork with a selection of favourite, hand-picked and rarely-seen photos.

The LP version will be a double heavyweight 180g vinyl, housed in a wide-spine sleeve with a pull-out poster. The CD will be housed in a gatefold, card sleeve with an eight-page booklet, which will contain the aforementioned photos.

Major Minor Records was started by Radio Caroline manager Phil Solomon. Its truly eclectic roster of artists and singles releases makes it a perfect home for Morrissey. These include such esteemed and high-watermark pop classics as:

David McWilliams - Days Of Pearly Spencer
Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg - Je t'aime... moi non plus
Them - Gloria
Tommy James and The Shondells - I Think We're Alone Now & Mony Mony
Taste - Blister On The Moon
July - My Clown
Frazer Hines - Who's Dr. Who?
Malcolm Roberts - May I Have The Next Dream With You
Isley Brothers - It's Your Thing
Karen Young – Nobody's Child
The Dubliners - Seven Drunken Nights

This will be the first release on the label since 1970.

There will be more Morrissey news to come in the next month.

Bona Drag tracklisting (running order subject to change):

1. Piccadilly Palare
2. Interesting Drug
3. November Spawned A Monster
4. Will Never Marry
5. Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference
6. The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
7. Ouija Board, Ouija Board
8. Hairdresser On Fire
9. Everyday Is Like Sunday
10. He Knows I'd Love To See Him
11. Yes, I Am Blind
12. Lucky Lisp
13. Suedehead
14. Disappointed
15. Happy Lovers At Last United (Previously unreleased)
16. Lifeguard On Duty (Previously unreleased)
17. Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness (Previously unreleased)
18. Oh Phoney (Previously unreleased)
19. The Bed Took Fire (Previously unreleased)
20. Let The Right One Slip In (Alternate long mix, previously unreleased)

I like this bit the most

Its truly eclectic roster of artists and singles releases makes it a perfect home for Morrissey

Might suggest he'll be sticking around, it certainly sounds like the kind of deal he'd cut, very similar to resurrecting the Attack imprint with Sanctuary.

No Morrissey, I just want you to go to the DRAG races with me in Pomona, they're so much fun. :p

Kidding, I'm sure this will all be very interesting.

I'm so happy he's properly releasing some of the tracks from Revelations. They're fantastic and deserve to be released and HE deserves to be the one making $ off them, not some bootlegger.

Where's Born To Hang though? That one needs to be on this tracklist. <edit, nevermind. I had it in my head that song was pre Kill Uncle.

Last edited:

No thumb-twiddling for Morrissey then. Has anyone else the heft to resurrect extinct labels? Good for him! Nice news. :) :guitar:

:eek: You mean people still make cds?!!

Dear oh dear. Ah well. at least this time could we please avoid having more or less the same boring photo printed 567448 times in the same booklet? (That was completely ridiculous), but I'm not mad, I'm just asking politely, for little trees sake.

You do what the indus- you want though of course.

'Part from that? How's Rick? How's Ashley?

(Also could we have some some of eco friendly ink and packag- Oh no it's ok if you are bored. You're not Johnny, I keep forgetting.:D)

Eh? Yes I know Bona Drag doesn't concern me in the least. -Oh I see we're getting chronological.:sleeping:°

Seriously, could you make an effort? I'll beg (Johnny):)

have a nice holiday!:)

Tags
bona drag
Back
Top Bottom