Book of Condolence Thread

England's Best Prime Minister.

js10richardsonnarrowwebzl2.jpg

I had the pleasure of photographing him a few years back for the BBC.
He was a true gentleman and a nice guy

I used to drive past the location of his car crash on a regular basis. Very sad. Thanks for the reminder, Alma.

Very sad indeed...

On September 30, 1955, Dean and his mechanic Rolf Wütherich set off from Competition Motors, where they had prepared his Porsche 550 Spyder that morning for a sports car race at Salinas, California. Dean originally intended to trailer the Porsche to the meeting point at Salinas, behind his new Ford Country Squire station wagon, crewed by Hickman and photographer Stanford Roth, who was planning a photo story of Dean at the races. At the last minute, Dean drove the Spyder, having decided he needed more time to familiarize himself with the car. At 3:30PM, Dean was ticketed in Kern County for doing 65 in a 55 mph zone. The driver of the Ford was ticketed for doing 20 mph over the limit, as the speed limit for all vehicles towing a trailer was 45 mph. Later, having left the Ford far behind, they stopped at Blackwell's Corner for fuel and met up with fellow racer Lance Reventlow.

Dean was driving west on U.S. Highway 466 (later California State Route 46) near Cholame, California when a 1950 Ford Tudor, driven from the opposite direction by 23-year-old Cal Poly student Donald Turnupseed, attempted to take the fork onto California State Route 41 and crossed into Dean's lane without seeing him. The two cars hit almost head on. According to a story in the October 1, 2005 edition of the Los Angeles Times,[19] California Highway Patrol officer Ron Nelson and his partner had been finishing a coffee break in Paso Robles when they were called to the scene of the accident, where they saw a heavily-breathing Dean being placed into an ambulance. Wütherich had been thrown from the car, but survived with a broken jaw and other injuries. Dean was taken to Paso Robles War Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival at 5:59PM. His last known words, uttered right before impact, were said to have been "That guy's gotta stop... He'll see us."[20]

Junction of highways 46 and 41Contrary to reports of Dean's speeding, which persisted decades after his death, Nelson said "the wreckage and the position of Dean's body indicated his speed was more like 55 mph (88 km/h)." Turnupseed received a gashed forehead and bruised nose and was not cited by police for the accident. He died of lung cancer in 1995. Rolf Wütherich would die in a road accident in Germany in 1981.

While completing Giant, and to promote Rebel Without a Cause, Dean had recently filmed a short interview with actor Gig Young for an episode of "Warner Bros. Presents"[21] wherein he ad-libbed the popular phrase "The life you save may be your own" instead into "The life you save may be mine."[22] Dean's sudden death prompted the studio to re-film the section, and the piece was never aired - though in the past several sources have referred to the footage, mistakenly identifying it as a public service announcement. (The segment can, however, be viewed on both the 2001 VHS and 2005 DVD editions of Rebel Without a Cause). BMW once made a commercial with the footage of the infamous clip and reconstruction of the crash, which cuts into a scene indicating that Dean would be alive if he had driven one of their models, the commercial was never shown due to poor taste but is aired in programs such as Tarrant on TV.

Can we have a moment of silence for my liver? We all decided to go out after work today. We get out at 2:20 in the afternoon on Fridays. It is now 12:57am and I got home 30 mniutes ago.

Can we have a moment of silence for my liver? We all decided to go out after work today. We get out at 2:20 in the afternoon on Fridays. It is now 12:57am and I got home 30 mniutes ago.

Drowning your sorrows?! :p lol
Take as much silence as you need, liver. Buzzetta, I just hope you don't end up praying to the porcelain god later :D

*sigh....mumbling swear words and dashes to the farm*

Lady Jaye Breyer P-Orridge (1969 - 20007).

She "collapsed and died in the arms of her heartbroken 'other half' Genesis Breyer P-Orridge."

RIP

I never imagined that a member of the forums would be mentioned here.

Deepest sympathy and condolence to Frederic's girlfriend and his family.

Back
Top Bottom