Book of Condolence Thread

Sir Edmund Hillary - the first man to conquer Everest - died of a heart attack today aged 88.

Hillary.jpg

He looks kinda like Shane MacGowan here, with a longer face and (better) teeth. Anyway, RIP to him.

Jason MacIntyre (34)

Cycling star dies after collision

Jason MacIntyre was a British time trial champion
A Scottish cycling champion has died after a collision with a van while training on the A82 in Fort William.
Jason MacIntyre, 34, who broke cycling legend Graham Obree's 10-mile time trial Scottish record last year, died in hospital from his injuries.

He was hoping to make the British Olympic team and his death came a day after he had been given funding to train for the 2010 Commonwealth Games.

Police said a 35-year-old man had been reported to prosecutors.

They will decide whether any charges should be brought in connection with the incident.

Mr MacIntyre was a triple British and Scottish champion time trial cyclist.

He lived in Fort William with his wife Caroline and eight-year-old twin girls.

He was born in Lochgilphead but had lived in Fort William since the age of 10.

"Jason was a really nice guy, his death is a sad loss to the world of cycling" Craig McLean Olympic cycling medallist

Despite not starting cycling until he was 18, he progressed in the sport, winning the Tour of the North in Ireland at the age of 23.

In 2002, he was selected to represent Scotland at the Commonwealth Games in Manchester.

Mr MacIntyre won the British 25-mile time trial twice and was the first Scot to win the British Circuit race time trial championship.

He took two years away from racing to help his wife following the premature birth of their daughters.

He was airlifted to hospital after the collision at Carrs Corner on the A82 but died on his way to hospital.

Scottish Olympic and world cycling medallist Craig MacLean said: "Jason was a really nice guy, his death is a sad loss to the world of cycling.

"It's very tragic. I think Jason was being considered for the Olympic squad in Beijing later this year and that would have been the pinnacle of his career."

'True champion'

Jackie Davidson, director of Scottish Cycling, the sport's governing body, said: "We are very sad for Caroline and the two girls and our thoughts are with them.

"Jason was a rider with so much talent and potential. Everyone is shocked to hear the news."

Scottish Cycling president Jock Shaw said: "We have lost one of our finest cyclists.

"Jason was a true champion who was always handicapped by geography.

"Here was a young bloke out training and he got killed" John Beattie
BBC Scotland

"His achievements over the last few years proved that he was still improving and we were looking forward to him progressing further."

Scottish Sports Minister Stewart Maxwell said Jason was "one of our finest athletes".

He said: "His death robs Scottish sport of an incredible talent and I would like, on behalf of the Scottish Government, to pass our condolences to his wife and twin daughters."

Tributes are also being paid to Mr MacIntyre on a cycling forum on the internet.

BBC Radio Scotland sports presenter John Beattie, who recently spoke to Mr MacIntyre on his programme, said the death illustrated the risks facing cyclists on Scotland's roads.

He added: "Here was a young bloke out training and he got killed. It just shows to everyone sitting in cars how dangerous it can be to be a cyclist.

"He was a road racer, he broke time trials, and that kind of cyclist needs to train on the roads but with more and more cars on the roads it is more dangerous.

"I have been on his website and he speaks of his love of the sport, he talks of how beautiful it is to be outside cycling in December doing a link that they would normally do in the summer time and how cold it was, how fresh it was, how he was trying to get rid of his Christmas over-indulgence."

Northern Constabulary's road policing section carried out a full investigation at the scene of the accident.

The voice of Magilla Gorilla, Sam the Butcher on the Brady Bunch, Barney Heffner on All In The Family

amelvinb.jpg

Allan Melvin died of cancer on January 17, 2008, aged 84

In the 1960s, Melvin played Staff Sergeant Charley Hacker for four seasons on Gomer Pyle, USMC. He also made appearances as Rob Petrie's old Army buddy, Sol Pomerantz, on the Dick Van Dyke Show. He also provided the voices of cartoon character Magilla Gorilla, the lion Drooper on The Banana Splits Adventure Hour, and Bluto on The All-New Popeye Hour. Melvin also made eight guest appearances on The Andy Griffith Show in eight different roles.
Melvin is remembered for supporting roles on two popular 1970s sitcoms. He played Sam Franklin, the owner of a local butcher shop and boyfriend of Alice Nelson (the Bradys' housekeeper) on The Brady Bunch, and Barney Hefner, Archie Bunker's neighbor and friend on All in the Family. In other contributions to 1970s pop culture, he was a Mel's Diner patron on Alice and worked as a voice artist (under the name "Al Melvin"). He provided several characters' voices for the TV show H.R. Pufnstuf and the voice of Vultan, King of the Hawk Men on The New Adventures of Flash Gordon.
Some of his most prolific work has been in television commercials, for products as diverse as Kellogg's Sugar Frosted Flakes and Remington electric razors. In the latter commercial, he sang a few bars of Frank Loesser's song "I Believe in You" with a modified lyric.
In the early 1980s, Melvin appeared as a regular in Archie Bunker's Place, a successor to All in the Family, in which he played a more important role. When this series ended in 1983, Melvin's work was exclusively devoted to cartoon voice-overs.

susanpleshette300,0.jpg

Suzanne Pleshette, the husky-voiced star best known for her role as Bob Newhart's sardonic wife on TV's 'The Bob Newhart Show', has died. She was 70.
Pleshette, whose career also included a leading role in Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds' and more recent appearances on the TV shows 'Will and Grace' and 'Law and Order', died on Saturday at her Los Angeles home, according to her attorney Robert Finkelstein.
Pleshette underwent chemotherapy for lung cancer in 2006.

Abdul Latif
Mr Latif's Newcastle, UK restaurant, which used to be called Rupali, enjoyed a high profile in his last years. There is where Latif offered the famous dish - Curry Hell - free to any customer who could finish it. The restaraunt is also featured in the Guinness Book of Records for the world's longest-distance curry delivery - from Newcastle to Sydney, Australia.

He became a renowned local businessman thanks to his talent for publicity and regular appearances in cult adult comic Viz.

and also condolences to Jack Duckworth and family. What a weeper Friday's one was eh?

Abdul Latif
Mr Latif's Newcastle, UK restaurant, which used to be called Rupali, enjoyed a high profile in his last years. There is where Latif offered the famous dish - Curry Hell - free to any customer who could finish it. The restaraunt is also featured in the Guinness Book of Records for the world's longest-distance curry delivery - from Newcastle to Sydney, Australia.

He became a renowned local businessman thanks to his talent for publicity and regular appearances in cult adult comic Viz.

and also condolences to Jack Duckworth and family. What a weeper Friday's one was eh?
I bawled my eyes out. :tears: poor Jack! :tears:

Roy Schneider. RIP.

Although a consumate stage actor, he was a commanding presence on-screen. Best remembered as Chief Martin Brody in Jaws and Jaws 2, he produced character work of the highest order in films such as The French Connection, Marathon Man and All That Jazz.

Let's not also forget his work on Family guy - truly a measure of your standing in the Entertainment Industry when you appear as yourself on this show.

Truly Missed.

Emily Perry (28 June 1907 - 20 February 2008) was an actress.

Born in Torquay, Devon, England, she is best known for her recurring role as Madge Allsop, Dame Edna Everage's long-suffering, silent "bridesmaid"; she began playing the role at the age of 80.

Perry ran a children's dancing school, The Patricia Perry Academy of Dancing, for twenty five years. As an actress in her own right, her filmography is limited to her appearances with Dame Edna, except for a 1995 appearance, in her late eighties, on an episode of Last of the Summer Wine as "Mrs. Broadbent". She appeared as herself in Night of a Thousand Faces (2001).

She retired in 2004 and took up residence in Brinsworth House, Twickenham.

dame_edna_lg.jpg

Steve Fullarton, he was the last surviving Scottish member of the International Brigade! He fought the fascists in Spain!

R.I.P. Steve

love

Grim

p.s. prayers for Carol Barnes, though I suspect she may not make it :(

Emily Perry (28 June 1907 - 20 February 2008) was an actress.

Born in Torquay, Devon, England, she is best known for her recurring role as Madge Allsop, Dame Edna Everage's long-suffering, silent "bridesmaid"; she began playing the role at the age of 80.

Perry ran a children's dancing school, The Patricia Perry Academy of Dancing, for twenty five years. As an actress in her own right, her filmography is limited to her appearances with Dame Edna, except for a 1995 appearance, in her late eighties, on an episode of Last of the Summer Wine as "Mrs. Broadbent". She appeared as herself in Night of a Thousand Faces (2001).

She retired in 2004 and took up residence in Brinsworth House, Twickenham.

dame_edna_lg.jpg

I missed this one :( awww - she was great. I didn't know she ran a dancing school. I've seen Dame Edna twice (w/o Emily) Such hilarity!!!

p.s. prayers for Carol Barnes, though I suspect she may not make it :(

Who is she? sure I could google :rolleyes: but I want you to tell me pls :)

Back
Top Bottom