Book recommendations - help needed

Endgame Volume 1: The Problem of Civilization by Derrick Jensen

190endgame.jpg

Even if you don't agree with it, it's incredibly informative and well-written.

Amazon link.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
....and Sorry: Arnott's books aren't "pulp" ie. Richard Allen who wrote all the trashy "Skinhead" books. Arnott's books are PROPER novels & real writing.

For the fans of "Reader Meets Author": Did you know that the song was about Richard Allen??

Depends what you're into...I'm never with out a book. i love Wilkie Collins, Mary Elizabeth Braddon. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, and Sabriel by Garth Nix was brill.

Jake Arnott is a good British writer.

And apparently friends with Morrissey as well....?

Arnott did an interview & photoshoot for London TimeOut in 2004 with Morrissey. Morrissey was photographed outside "The English Martyr's Club" in East London which was Arnott's idea (I believe). Arnott is now married to a British novelist Stephanie Theobold.

His books are:

- True Crime.
- Long firm.
- He Kills Coppers (The Best!)
- Johnny Come Home (2nd Best)
- Devil's Paintbrush (The latest - 2009)

It's quite difficult to to describe his books but they are very very interesting.
Think Dusty Springfield, 60's London, drugs, mods, world cup, corrupted ("bent") London police, The Krays, gays, glam rock, 70's, travellers, Soho, crime, etc.

David Bowie has been an avid reader. 2 of Arnott's books were made into TV series in the UK.

You can easily get the paperbacks on eBay for about £2.00. each.

Jake Arnott isn't a friend of Morrissey, but he's a fan.
Jake interviewed Morrissey for Time Out in March 2004.

"Endgame Volume 1: The Problem of Civilization by Derrik Jensen"

That looks incredibly heavy & heady!

I sometimes like reading my old Enid Blyton Famous Five paperbacks!

Torch, tent, Timmy & Sandwiches!

Adventure!

"Jake Arnott isn't a friend of Morrissey, but he's a fan.
Jake interviewed Morrissey for Time Out in March 2004".

Kewpie, I did say Arnott interviewed Morrissey for Time Out in 2004.

"Endgame Volume 1: The Problem of Civilization by Derrik Jensen"

That looks incredibly heavy & heady!

I sometimes like reading my old Enid Blyton Famous Five paperbacks!

Torch, tent, Timmy & Sandwiches!

Adventure!

The funny thing, it actually isn't. The first chapter is, when he's explaining his premise, but after that, not really. It's been called 'creative non-fiction', it's in 1st person, quite personal. And, there's plenty of adventure, if you want to look at it like that..!

I'm desperately in need of good reading material, but at the moment I have no clue as to what to buy. So I'm hoping to get inspired by your input: What are your must-read choices? Favourite books? Worst reads? Suggestions for both fiction/non-fiction are welcome.

Ta! :)

(Please don't merge this with the "What Are You Reading......." thread).

What type of books do you normally read? Who are some of your favorite authors?

I strongly recommend
175px-ASimplePlan.jpg

An expertly written story of greed and murder.
images

The riveting true story of Howard Marks, international drug smuggler, spy and a one-time most wanted man in England.
200px-The_Stand_cover.jpg

Sprawling early novel by the master of horror about a nasty virus that wipes out most of mankind.
images

Extraordinary account of Don Simpson's rise and fall in Hollywood. A tale of unbelievable excess in money, sex, greed and power.

Hi & sorry for the late response. Thanks very much for all your proposals, I just ordered 4 books from your selections: Jake Arnott, Carol Topolski, Stephen Fry - and I'm especially looking forward to Derrik Jensen's "Endgame", this sounds really interesting by Munchy Brain's description.:)

I don't have any preferred genre (well, I'm not that much into poetry I must admit....). Fave authors are: Albert Vigoleis Thelen, Hans Fallada (both not much known outside the German-speaking readership I guess), Thomas Mann is fantastic, T.C. Boyle, John Irving, Graham Greene, Zeruya Shalev (Israeli writer - highly recommended) etc. etc.

Best book I read in the last year was Gregory David Robert's "Shantaram" - but I also enjoyed Khaled Hosseini's "Kite Runner" and "A Thousand Splendid Suns". Haven't read much non-fiction recently....(apart from Ron Jeremy's autobiography :o)

Thanks again for your help :D.

Love
-crsp-

The Tax Inspector - Peter Carey

The Driver's Seat - Muriel Spark

To The Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf

Bimbo - Keith Waterhouse

DSC01834.jpg

It might have been the downfall of Dorian Gray.

Carlos ruis Zafon has a new novel out The Angels Game, it will be my next read. His previous venture The Shadow in the Wind was ace. 50 Billion Spaniards can't be wrong it out sold everything ever in spain, Dark brooding tales set in old Barcelona wonderfully written.

I loved The Shadow of the Wind- one of my favourite books of all time. I would also reccommend 'Then We Came to the End' by Joshua Ferris and 'Broken Angels' by Richard Montanari. :)

IMHO, Murakami's 'Underground' is too heavy for holiday read.
I couldn't help crying when I was reading it in coach on the way back from Manchester to London after visiting my friends.

Very talented Vetnamise director Tran Anh Hung (A Scent of Green Papaya, Cyclo, At the Height of Summer) is shooting adoptation of Nowegian Wood in Japan at the moment.

Kewpie, I thought about that, "Underground" being too heavy. It's a depressing book but I prefer nonfiction, and what that Aum cult did to those poor people on the train- horrific. But Murakami is a very empathetic person.

OMG! I would love to see that adaptation of Norweigian Wood. THAT book made me cry. Also, is there really a brand of cigarettes in Japan called "Seven Star"?

what's this about? i love classics.

Kelltia, you must read this book! It's basically about a man who cannot stand to be around other people. There's much more to that but I loved it. When I was in London, I bought a Penguin edition of the book. (Still have the receipt inside the book lol.) Give it a try!:)

Back
Top Bottom