Bowie discusses Morrissey leaving the Outside tour (1995)

I am a huge fan of both and sincerely believe that the media have a lot to answer for. The worst of these is (or was) the now defunct eNMEy, who launched a tirade of accusations on Morrissey in the early '90's, predominantly revolving around his supposed racism. This reared its disgusting head again, a year ago, to the point that Morrissey cancelled the remainder of his UK tour, for fear of being attacked.

I ask the question:

If Morrissey was racist, then how does he manage to stay so revered all over the world, by fans who he apparently looks down on?

The same accusation was aimed at Bowie, with the infamous 'Nazi salute' at Victoria Station and stirred up profound anti Bowie sentiments.

My point is that I have yet to see anything that was said, written or otherwise intimated by either artist, to support these vulgar accusations.

With Morrissey, a main supposition was that he came on stage with a Union Jack draped around his neck, at the Madstock event, so he MUST be racist???? Well, by that understanding, do we accuse Geri Halliwell of the same, for wearing her iconic Union Jack Dress?

Bowie's 'crime' was that he was living in Berlin, wearing black and waving to fans, which looked suspiciously like a Nazi salute.

Hmmmmm....

In short, I believe that there was certainly friction between these two geniuses. Historically, this is (and has to be) the way. It is part of a creative individuals' make up, to have fractious and sometimes short-lived relationships with others who operate similarly.

The evidence is not only there with the breakdown of their 'friendship' but also in the similar attacks by nasty and jealous journalists, who lie.

Ahahahahahahahahahaah!

There is such bullshit posted on this site. I was at the Wembley show of the Outside tour and remember it well. Moz has always been a niche artist. There was a small contingent of Moz fans there to see Moz but the vast majority of punters were there to see Bowie. I love Moz but Bowie is undoubtedly the more accomplished artist and remains one of the most influential artists of all time - much more so than Moz will ever be. And I'm sure Moz knows it, for all his sniping.

There is such bullshit posted on this site. I was at the Wembley show of the Outside tour and remember it well. Moz has always been a niche artist. There was a small contingent of Moz fans there to see Moz but the vast majority of punters were there to see Bowie. I love Moz but Bowie is undoubtedly the more accomplished artist and remains one of the most influential artists of all time - much more so than Moz will ever be. And I'm sure Moz knows it, for all his sniping.

109% correct.

I saw 3 of the Wembley gigs, both Birmingham and Dublin. With the exception of Dublin, Morrissey’s performances were treated with complete indifference from the vast majority of the crowd

I was at the Exeter gig of this tour, a few days before he walked off the tour, Moz was very poor that night, a 45 min set, few hits, very little if any conversation between tracks, it's like he didn't want to be there (he didn't). As a Moz fan I was gutted.
Nobody I could see left after his set. Bowie played for nearly 2 hours and by contrast was brilliant (and I'm not a big Bowie fan, I was there to see Moz)

Ahahahahahahahahahaah!

I think Skinny has just ejaculated.
As this is the first time this has happened since 2002, I think we should all take a moment and congratulate both him and his long suffering wife.

I don't believe any of the stories that have been put forward to 'explain' the tour thing. Morrissey said something like, "Bowie was coming on earlier and earlier each night, depriving me of saying goodbye to the audience", which makes no sense. Mental illness? No, he was back with his own show days later. Maybe Moz' childhood hero just didn't live up to his expectations and he left before tensions got worse. The way Bowie says, "We were informed..." suggests that Moz did a runner and left other people to break the news, as he does.

109% correct.

I saw 3 of the Wembley gigs, both Birmingham and Dublin. With the exception of Dublin, Morrissey’s performances were treated with complete indifference from the vast majority of the crowd

I was at a Wembley concert, too. Yep, a rubbish atmosphere but it was around the time of Morrissey's worst ever album, the truly dismal Southpaw Grammar, and many of its songs were played. As a result, probably the worst Morrissey concert I ever went to...

brings back memories with the two presenters,programme is still going today 24 years later.

I don't believe any of the stories that have been put forward to 'explain' the tour thing. Morrissey said something like, "Bowie was coming on earlier and earlier each night, depriving me of saying goodbye to the audience", which makes no sense. Mental illness? No, he was back with his own show days later. Maybe Moz' childhood hero just didn't live up to his expectations and he left before tensions got worse. The way Bowie says, "We were informed..." suggests that Moz did a runner and left other people to break the news, as he does.

He did do a runner. He got on the tour bus and returned to London, leaving the band stranded.

I think Skinny has just ejaculated.
As this is the first time this has happened since 2002, I think we should all take a moment and congratulate both him and his long suffering wife.
the world couldn't take another skinny, theres not enough troll badges to go round.

I thought it was because David Bowie and Morrissey ere eating together and David Bowie ordered a ham sandwich or something. That's not exactly right but it's very close. And Morrissey said are you going to eat that and he said he was and then he did or something.
think that was in autobiography,think it was at breakfast.

109% correct.

Yeah I was at Birmingham. The lights went down and Morrissey came on with the arena only half full. I was able to easily get to the center front row. At the time Morrissey was significantly less popular in England than he is now believe it or not. The NME (a very powerful newspaper at the time) had turned on him a few years before and by 1995 they simply looked past him. Southpaw Grammar hadn't sold well and Morrissey was in his late 30's. Brit-pop was in full swing and Morrissey was not included in the party, despite all of those in the new spotlight owing Morrissey a huge debt.
The Outsiders tour was originally meant to be a joint tour but as it began it became clear (for what ever reason) that Morrissey was the support act. Playing to pretty much silence.
I think several things came together during that period. Morrissey was finding living in Camden increasingly difficult. I remember visiting Camdem at the time and I got hassled in the street just for wearing a Morrissey T-Shirt. I can't imagine what it was like actually being Morrissey. I think his relationship with Jake was ending or had ended and it seemed clear that his career in the UK was over. He didn't have a record deal, a place to live and he was incredibly unpopular with the press and the general public. It seemed his time had past. Bowie probably wasn't particularly sensitive to those pressures I imagine (you can see it in that interview), However none of those things were Bowie's fault. He'd probably thought Morrissey was on the crest of a wave, after all just a few years before he'd taken America by storm. Instead Bowie found himself on tour with a faded, jaded, lonely man in a ill-fitting suit who was on a roll of getting bad review after bad review.

Having said that Bowie was awful too at the time. Terrible music (drum/bass) but crucially he has the full support of the music press, which he retained until his death. I left after a few Bowie songs, Morrissey had pulled me up on stage and despite everything I was elated. Morrissey disappear for a while. I guess he move to LA and then.......... the internet happened and Morrissey's career got caught another wave.

The thing about English rock stars and Hitler, though... It's not always so simple. I am not sure Bowie posed in a Nazi uniform. Jimmy Page wore the hat and boots onstage in the early 70's. Could be mocking it, or could be using it to shock people. Bowie did say something like "Hitler was the first pop star" but these guys were on lots of drugs at the time and they were studying the occult. Mix that with a fascination with power and a rebellion against polite English society and it's a lot more than just "Bowie was a nazi." He wasn't.
Even John Lennon said something about how "Hitler was right," but if I remember correctly what he was really saying is that the reason some people fell for Hitler is because most people want to have someone in charge of making the decisions about life for them. First it's their parents and their teachers, and maybe their priest. Then they grow up and they want the police and the government to handle everything for them. This is part of the reason that some politicians succeed, and it's on the right and the left. They identify a problem and then say they will take care of it for you.
Lennon and Page were both born during World War II and Bowie just a couple of years after.
I don't know the mood in England at that time, but I would think it might have gone from a time of such fear and constant messages of doom about the threat of Hitler to great relief and possibly downplaying the threat that the nation had been under. I would think that people would be tired of being scared about Hitler.
And when each of those three were making their statements or referencing Hitler and Nazis in various ways. it was the early to mid 70's, a time when many had lost faith in the propaganda of the war in Vietnam. Whereas in the 40's and 50's speaking out against your country might be very dangerous, by the late 60's it was almost fashionable. And once Vietnam was over there was a wave of hedonism and rebellion against the establishment. So what could be more shocking than making some deliberately provocative statement about Hitler?
I don't think any of those people I mentioned was in any way showing support for nazism really. It was just the cocaine.
but these guys were on drugs,gary glitter and jimmy Saville would have loved that excuse.

To be honest I never understood why Moz ever agreed to be part of the Bowie Tour. Playing second fiddle was never his thing. The atmosphere of the big venues was soulless and horrible. Can totally understand him wanting to get the hell out. But I guess he did it in his own inimitable style - i.e. go completely incommunicado and leave it to his agent to tell Bowie 45 minutes before the next show. No wonder Bowie was pissed off. No wonder Marr got pissed off by such behaviour too.

Pointless trying to take sides now. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
remember theres three sides to every story,theres my side, theres your side, and then theres the truth.

Pointless trying to take sides now. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
This was explained ages ago and now some mourning Bowie fans are trying to clean his name but there is a reason he died from cancer and Moz survived it.

People on here claiming they were there when venue after venue cleared out when Moz was done and Bowie went on. Despite his worst album Morrissey stole the show over a legend like Bowie and the fallout was obvious and Moz has mentioned it more than once how Bowie bullied him off the tour to save his face or so Bowie thought.

It was hard on Moz being his fan and all and everyone on here knows Moz never said a word when Bowie died cause of what happened on that tour. Now let the revisionist Bowie fans have their little moment and try all they might to rescue a dead mans legacy but sadly for them the truth is out there and has been for ages.

Some people are so pathetic is becomes funny so I hope this thread will grow and grow to see how they twist and turn like maggots in a coffin.

remember theres three sides to every story,theres my side, theres your side, and then theres the truth.
And the truth was told ages ago but some people try and revive this now and they're all necrophile Bowie fans.

I like the comedy they are providing so let us enjoy this laugh while it lasts.

This thread is the best stand up comedy act in ages and for years now the Bowie fans have shut it working on their hate toward Moz who not only ended Bowie and his career but told the world what a c*** he was.
Oh it must hurt in those middle class homes of the Bowie fans with boring jobs. Almost enough to take a painkiller and cry a bit.

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

That moment when you know you are dying and you call a swede to shoot a video where you look like shit.

Bowie had one song and one song only but he was never a hero himself, in fact, he was far from one.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom